Butternut Soup with Parmesan and Sage

1 cup of chopped onion
2 tsp of olive oil
1 teaspoon ground sage
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp ground black pepper
Butternut sqash (about 1 1/2 lbs), peeled, seeded and chopped into 1-inch cubes
2 tsp grated Parmesan cheese

In a large stockpot over medium heat, sautee onion in oil 4 minutes. Add seasonings, broth and squash and bring mixture to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer 20 minutes, until squash is tender. Puree half the soup in a blender; return to pot. Stir in parmesan cheese and serve.

Makes 6 servings (1 cup per serving). Nutrional information per serving: 79 calories, 2.5 grams of fat. (sorry, no fiber information... but I am guessing this soup must be low in points!)

source: Shape magazine, November 1999 edition.
Old 12-01-1999, 07:00 AM   #2  

* Exported from MasterCook *

Butternut Squash Soup

Recipe By : Weight Watchers Versatile Vegetarian
Serving Size : 4 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Vegetables Soups & Stews

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
2 pounds butternut squash -- peeled
seeded and cut into 1" chunks
1 1/2 cups Vegetable Broth
1 cup orange juice
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup chopped basil
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

Makes 4 servings

The velvety texture of pureed squash and the fresh flavor of orange make this soup an elegant beginning to an autumn meal.

1. In a medium saucepan, bring the squash and broth to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer until tender, 10-15 minutes.
2. Transfer the mixture to a blender or food processor. Add the orange juice and salt; puree. Return the mixture to the saucepan and simmer 5 minutes. Serve, sprinkled with the basil and pepper.

SERVING PROVIDES: 1 Bread, 1 Fruit/Vegetable.

PER SERVING: 110 Calories, 0 g Total Fat, 0 g Saturated Fat, 0 mg Cholesterol, 328 mg Sodium, 28 g Total Carbohydrate, 3 g Dietary Fiber, 2 g Protein, 80 mg Calcium . 2 POINTS

Converted by MC_Buster.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Old 02-05-2000, 05:47 AM   #3  

I have a great butternut squash soup recipe. It is all vegetables. I count it as two pts. for two cups, because winter squash is two pts/cup, and I figure about 1/2 of the soup is the squash. Does anyone want it?

Marie

Old 02-05-2000, 11:00 AM   #4  

Of course we want it!!! Thanks.
By the way, let us know the easiest way to cut up the raw winter squash for the recipe.
Facing a really hard squash to cut up has always deterred me from trying a lot of recipes. Is there some kind of trick or technique?
Old 02-06-2000, 02:34 AM   #5  

Would like the recipe. To cut up a large sized hard shelled squash, example: hubbard, you really need a large chef knife. After sticking the point in quite well...hit the knife with a rubber mallet as drive it down the side toward your cutting board. Picked this tip up from watching Julia Child. Hope I explained it well enough.
Old 08-29-2001, 08:17 AM   #6  

Default Butternut Squash Cumin and Ginger Soup

This is a NO POINT recipe for soup, which is very filling and yummy

1 butternut squash
1 onion
1 crushed clove garlic
1 teaspoon cumin
1 inch root ginger, grated
pepper
a pint of veg stock (I use Marigold bouillon powder)

What you do is cut the sqash in half, scoop out the seeds, and lay it cut side down on a baking tray and bake it for about 45 mins (an hour if its a big one) at gas mark 6. Then scoop out the flesh. Then you cut up the onion and put it in a pan with a spash of the stock and cook it for 10 mins, until transluscent. Then you add the garlic and cumin and stir for about 20-30 seconds (until the cumin smells lovely). Then you put in the scooped out butternut flesh, and the ginger, and the rest of the stock, and you cook it for about 10 mins. You can either eat it like that, if you like a soup with texture and 'lumps' of veg, or if you prefer a smoother soup you can whizz it up in the blender (I prefer the smooth version). Voila! No point yummy soup. I usually swirl some yoghurt in to eat with, but that adds a point and is not necessary to the deliciousness of the recipe.
Old 08-31-2001, 09:11 AM   #7  

This is NOT a 0 point soup. Butternut squash is counted as a starch! It is a delicious low, point soup.
Old 10-19-2003, 10:23 PM   #8  
Slimming down in San Fran

S/C/G: 275/191/150

Height: 5'8"

Lilacglitter,

Just wanted to let you know I am planning on making your squash soup this Wednesday! I went out tonight and got the rest of the ingredients to go along with my big ol' butternut squash I got last week... I've been trying to find a yummy way to use it, and shazam, here it is! I even got some non-fat yogurt to mix in. Mmmmm.

Wednesday will be fun... Art class in the morning then soup-making! Ahhhh, relaxing! (My day off in the middle of the week, in between four 10-hour days, phew!)

Sarah
Old 01-18-2004, 11:11 PM   #9  
Slimming down in San Fran

S/C/G: 275/191/150

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules
Butternut Soup with Parmesan and Sage

1 cup of chopped onion
2 tsp of olive oil
1 teaspoon ground sage
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp ground black pepper
Butternut sqash (about 1 1/2 lbs), peeled, seeded and chopped into 1-inch cubes
2 tsp grated Parmesan cheese

In a large stockpot over medium heat, sautee onion in oil 4 minutes. Add seasonings, broth and squash and bring mixture to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer 20 minutes, until squash is tender. Puree half the soup in a blender; return to pot. Stir in parmesan cheese and serve.

Makes 6 servings (1 cup per serving). Nutrional information per serving: 79 calories, 2.5 grams of fat. (sorry, no fiber information... but I am guessing this soup must be low in points!)

source: Shape magazine, November 1999 edition.
Hey Jules!

I know it's been a LONG time since you posted this recipe, but just in case you still have it saved somewhere... I could not find it in the Shape Recipe Archives... how much broth? and what kind?

Thanks!
Old 01-28-2004, 04:19 AM   #10  

This soup is DELICIOUS! Very flavorful--especially after sitting a few days.

I followed lilac's recipe, but for clarification purposes to those in the US:

I used a small butternut squash and baked it at 350 degrees for 35 mins. And I used a tablespoon of fresh grated ginger and a quart of veggie stock.

I calculated it out to 3 points for the whole batch!

Thank you so much, lilac! I HIGHLY recommend this soup!!

Jo
Closed Thread