Old 09-21-2005, 05:40 PM   #1  

Default Hi! I'm new to the forum, though not new to the website.

I am on the South Beach diet, and I have lost five pounds so far, but I have a serious problem with sugar cravings. I thought that after two weeks my urge to eat a donut or candy would go away, but it hasn't. That's what prompted me to get on this forum. I'm a teacher, and as most everyone knows, teachers keep candy in their classrooms. I am so tempted by it , and I have given in once or twice. I know that I need to get the candy out of my room, but I enjoy eating a starburst (although chocolates are my fave) every once in a while.
Also, does anyone else get a major sugar craving after having a beer? I'm not a heavy drinker, but I like to have a beer now and then. When I do, I usually start craving donuts and chips. I miss eating those things, but I want to change.
I am a binge eater. My mom put me on all kinds of diets when I was younger. We didn't keep sweets in the house, but when we did have them, I would eat as much as I possibly could. Now as an adult, I'm still the same way. If there is any kind of junkfood around, I am going to eat it. I can't stop myself and then I feel really guilty and won't tell anyone, not even my best friends. It really sucks to love sugar and carbs so much, and to have them be so destructive on my body. Any comments or advice?
pinkfloydheather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2005, 06:47 PM   #2  

Height: 5'-2"

Heather, welcome!

I am so with you re: sugar/carbs. I just binged on chips and chocolate.
I don't have that problem with beer (thank goodness).
Like you, we didn't have a lot of snacks around when I was growing up, but when I became a teenager, I started buying my own, and eating them secretly in my room.

Do you have much more to lose? Do you do any exercise? Would you like to join in our conversations over here? http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=64
We'd love to have you join in!
ellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2005, 04:43 PM   #3  

Sure. I need some support in this. I have never been able to lose weight on my own. I have my mom and my sister involved in this and we are trying to make good choices about food. I have done pretty good this week and I don't want to give up now. I am getting better about exercise too. I have started walking and doing freeweights this week and I feel good. It makes me feel better to know that I am not alone in my struggle. Thanks for making me feel so welcome.
pinkfloydheather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2005, 12:07 PM   #4  

Hi.
I'm not a member of OA either but I feel I should be. I have a big problem with carbs. I love snacks and candy. I do pretty well at work but I am an evening eater. If I could curb that I would do much better.
My husband is an alcoholic that has quit drinking and when we went to a pastor for help he said alcohol has alot of sugar in it so he might want to keep some candy bars on hand when he gets the alcohol craving. So maybe after you have a beer that's why the sugar craving. I don't know that for sure, just a thought. It would be great to post in the evenings so I can get my mind off my snacking so maybe we could help each other out and post here.

Let's cheer each other on and good luck with the craving.
Anmyreah
Anmyreah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2005, 12:11 PM   #5  

Ellis
Can anyone post here even if you don't officially belong to and OA group?
Anmyreah
Anmyreah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2005, 03:52 PM   #6  

Height: 5'-2"

Anmyreah, welcome! Yes, of course you can post here... we'd love to have you join us!
There isn't a lot of action in the OA forum right now, but there's another sub-forum ... I hope this link works... http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=64
where we have a monthly chat, an exercise thread, and a few other things happening. Please jump right in!!
Congratulations to your husband for quitting drinking... I can only imagine what a huge hurdle that must be.
ellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2006, 06:54 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 190/125/135

Height: 5'2"

Wink Me too.

I'm also new to the forum, but not the site. Like you I have little self control when it comes to yummy carbs. If I have one, I have to eat them all. I've been seriously thinking about going to an OA meeting. I've even looked in to when and where they are. I'm going to give it a try this week. If you tried one too then we could compare experiences. Are you up for it?
marny is offline   Reply With Quote