Does it Work? Unsure if the latest product or service lives up to it's claims? From popular products to the latest scams, discuss it here before you buy!

Closed Thread

Old 10-31-2005, 07:58 PM   #1  

Smile Reverse Diet

I was sitting here reading one of my magazines and came across something call the reverse diet. Have anyone ever tried this and if so, did you lose any weight? What you would normally eat for dinner, you have for breakfast and etc. Sounds tempting. It states that it boost your metabolism. What do tofu taste like? It helps from craving sweets. Eat lots and lots of garlic and spices. I want to try this. Anyone want to try it with me?
Old 10-31-2005, 08:05 PM   #2  
Uber-Moderator!!

We had a thread on this not too long ago...

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61113

And incidentally, there is nothing magic about tofu.
Old 10-31-2005, 10:40 PM   #3  
Empress/Queen

Tofu tastes like nothing, actually. It takes on the flavor of whatever food you cook it with. It has a lot of uses but I've never heard any accounts of it stopping a craving for sweets, other than simply making one full like any healthy food.
Old 11-01-2005, 11:57 AM   #4  
Uber-Moderator!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amarantha
Tofu tastes like nothing, actually. It takes on the flavor of whatever food you cook it with. It has a lot of uses but I've never heard any accounts of it stopping a craving for sweets, other than simply making one full like any healthy food.
Well actually...the gal who 'developed' this diet also claims that eating tofu a few times a day is the reason she doesn't have any loose skin.

(See this post from June)

Of course, that's total BS...I personally suspect that she was never as fat as she claims she was.

As far as reversing your meals goes - whatever works for you. It's really calories that count - it's basically just a low-calorie diet but the GIMMICK (and since there really is nothing new under the sun, a 'new diet plan' = a 'new marketing GIMMICK') here is that she flip-flopped the meals. Personally I would gag eating dinner in the morning - I'm an oatmeal and egg girl myself. But whatever floats yer boat...
Old 11-01-2005, 01:21 PM   #5  

The benefit, if any, may be more about the calorie distribution than the foods itself. The typical modern Western pattern is to eat the least calories at breakfast and the most in the evening -- dinner, plus snacking perhaps. Eating more calories earlier and fewer later could have the effect of stoking your engine. A lot of people who are overweight don't eat breakfast at all, and just the simple act of adding a breakfast gives your body some calories to work with and prod your metabolism to shift from "sleep" mode to "active" mode. This might be something to try if you're trying to break a long-standing plateau or something, but it's not going to magically make more pounds fall off; the difference is probably minimal at best.
Old 11-01-2005, 07:30 PM   #6  
Empress/Queen

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsJim
Well actually...the gal who 'developed' this diet also claims that eating tofu a few times a day is the reason she doesn't have any loose skin.
If that were true, I'd eat more tofu!
Old 11-01-2005, 07:47 PM   #7  
Doing it all over again..

S/C/G: 283/283/180

Height: 5'4

I know a lot of weight watcher's people who do something similar to this- but not really. They start their points for the day in the evening and they say it works better for them, but it's an entirely different concept, really. I can see how eating less at dinner and more at breakfast would work, but I don't think that requires eating chicken for breakfast and eggs for dinner. Just eat a heartier breakfast and a lighter dinner and you could get the same effect
Old 11-01-2005, 08:49 PM   #8  

some of the things she says may be valid but I don't know about the tofu thing
Old 11-02-2005, 12:24 AM   #9  
Empress/Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandy71480
I know a lot of weight watcher's people who do something similar to this- but not really. They start their points for the day in the evening and they say it works better for them, but it's an entirely different concept, really. I can see how eating less at dinner and more at breakfast would work, but I don't think that requires eating chicken for breakfast and eggs for dinner. Just eat a heartier breakfast and a lighter dinner and you could get the same effect
I know WW people who do this also and during certain periods I've done the same with my calorie counting, chosing a time at night to start the next day's count (such as dinner or 9 p.m. or midnight) so I could eat something later in the day as my work schedule dictates.

For me, the idea that calories eaten at night are any different than calories eaten at other times just doesn't hold true. For me, a calorie is a calorie and will over the course of 24 hours be either stored or burned off according to how many I've ingested and how active I am.
Old 11-02-2005, 05:58 PM   #10  

Once again I think that MrsJim probably has the right of it. I've had a few "encounters" with the author of this diet, and she is particularly focused and ambitious and has courted a bit of controversy with her methods to promote the diet.

The only thing to learn here - is don't eat so much at dinner time, and make sure you always eat a decent breakfast (why have a massive meal at night when you are only going to sleep?).

Tofu is a good source of vegetable protein - and that's about it!
Old 11-10-2005, 12:39 PM   #11  

Also, if you look at the diet plan she had laid out in the magazine, you would see that it is quite low in carbohydrates. With the exception of uncooked oatmeal and shredded wheat mixed with orange juice(yuck).
Old 11-11-2005, 09:25 AM   #12  
Empress/Queen

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac3
... shredded wheat mixed with orange juice(yuck).
Aaack!
Old 11-11-2005, 01:23 PM   #13  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

To each his own--not that this has anything to do with the topic, but my grandmother never liked milk on her cereal, so she always ate Corn Flakes with orange juice instead of milk for breakfast
Old 11-12-2005, 05:05 AM   #14  
Empress/Queen

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillybean720
To each his own--not that this has anything to do with the topic, but my grandmother never liked milk on her cereal, so she always ate Corn Flakes with orange juice instead of milk for breakfast
Well, it sounds healthy, anyway!

Tastes do vary. I once had a friend who ate ketchup AND syrup on pancakes ... at the same time. Even thinking about it makes me ill, but worked for him ...
Closed Thread