Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 11-11-2005, 10:43 PM   #1  

Question Newie Questions

Hello All,

This is my first time posting on any forum, so please bear with me. I am a month away from graduating from college and now that I will no longer be obligated to a very poor quality cafeteria food program, I'm ready to really dig in and lose the wieght I've gained at college.
My biggest pit-fall in weight loss is my addiction to soda. I know that probably sounds lame, but its for real . Soda started out as a late-night study aid and has developed into a real addiction and daily struggle for me. I drink a ton of it daily and when I try to cut back I get nasty withdrawal syptoms. Has anyone else stuggled with or experienced this - any advice?
I would also like to hear if you think that Weight Watchers is worth the investment. When people in the forums talk about WW - is this Weight Watchers?
Sorry this has gotten so long!
Thanks bunches!
melapis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2005, 01:15 AM   #2  
SuperFreak

S/C/G: 330/319/150

Height: 5"5

Soda is yes a addiction and one you need to kick. You can go cold turkey or try to ween yourself off by having a alternative to drink to keep you from grabbing a soda. Going thru the withdraw is something you cant get out of. You will have to go thru it but its worth it. I have been pop free for over two years now. Its one of the best things I did giving up the pop.
What you need to understand is .
First get off the pop and off ASAP.
You will need to learn about whats in what you eat.
And you will need to move (exersise) to burn the calories that you do eat.
Try keeping a journal of how many calories your eating a day just so you can see what your eating. You might be surprised.
But to keep yourself off the pop try to avoid it likes its a diease. Because the more you put it in the catergory of something thats bad for you and that you shouldnt be around the more you will be able to stay away from it.
You have to give it the treatment of what its worth to your body.
This is the best way I can think of to try and help you understand how bad pop really is for you. And dont even consider the diet pop. There is no differance.
I hate to be so dark about this but. I have been there and I know just what I was going thru when I was drinking the pop and I know how I felt once I kicked it.
As for weight watchers I can not comment there as I have been working many diffrent ideas from many diffrent plans and books on getting more healthy.
Welcome and hope to see that you to became a pop kicker.
MorticiaAddams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2005, 01:51 AM   #3  

Hello Morticia Adams,

Thanks very much for your reply and your advice.
I noticed you have a latin phrase in your signature - "Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectos Nunc" I'm a newbie latin student but I had a hard time translating it. I got sic and nunc and Gorgias but I don't, off the top of my head, recognize Allos and Subjectos. I would love to hear what it means! Are you a latin appreciator?
melapis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2005, 06:57 AM   #4  
SuperFreak

S/C/G: 330/319/150

Height: 5"5

Quote:
Originally Posted by melapis
Hello Morticia Adams,

Thanks very much for your reply and your advice.
I noticed you have a latin phrase in your signature - "Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectos Nunc" I'm a newbie latin student but I had a hard time translating it. I got sic and nunc and Gorgias but I don't, off the top of my head, recognize Allos and Subjectos. I would love to hear what it means! Are you a latin appreciator?

I took it from the Movie The Addams Family Its the Addams Family Credo
it means " We gladly feast on those who would subdue us "
Morticia Adams is a user name that has stuck with me ever since my husband introduced me to the internet when we met. Other wise it would have been something with Superman since I love anything with Superman.

Last edited by MorticiaAddams; 11-12-2005 at 07:13 AM.
MorticiaAddams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2005, 07:51 AM   #5  
ButDoesntWannaLookLikeOne

S/C/G: 230/218/170

Height: 5'4"

I was drinking 4 - 5 Cokes a day, and I'd say it was definitely one of the hardest things I gave up. But it was also the FIRST thing I gave up. I cut down gradually over about 2 weeks -- first cutting out 1 Coke a day, and then 2 Cokes, etc. It can definitely be done, and it will make a HUGE difference in your calorie intake. And by doing it slowly, you won't get nailed with withdrawal like you would if you went cold turkey.
LovesBassets is offline   Reply With Quote