Old 11-07-2005, 10:29 PM   #1  

Talking Steel Magnolias -- #42

Good Evening, Flowers! Not much newsy from my corner of the world tonight. I went for a perm after school . . . it looks good tonight as it always does after the beautician combs it out. I'm afraid it will be kinky curls when I wash it in a couple days. She has a cute plaque in her shop that says, "I'm a beautician, not a magician!" I smile every time I look at it; I could use a magician!

It was a beautiful day today and tomorrow is supposed to be in the 70s! I can't believe this weather! I love it!

'Gma' -- The "new" theory on communion is that when one kneels at the alter they are being subservient, while instead we should be considered as all equal! In my humble opinion, we are a herd going through with no time to say a prayer of our own, give thanks, ask for guidance, etc. When we remodeled our sanctuary, several demanded that we have a removable railing along with a carpet covered ledge so that we could kneel in comfort. The railing is hardly ever up and we don't kneel any more. I love the feel of "just cleaned" carpet!

Gail -- I always figure that whatever I drink just slides on through without letting any of the extra calories hang around on their way by! Your weekend makes me tired just reading about it! I'm glad you enjoyed yourself! I just read an article about butter vs. margarine saying that margarine is nothing but plastic that will coat/plug your arteries faster than butter ever would. Our ancestors all ate butter and lived to tell about it!

Maggie -- I think it was Grandparents' Day at Toys R Us yesterday! There were no kids at all but we were there early in the day and right after they opened. I need to go through my loot and make a list to see who has what. I buy things when I see them and then forget what I have hidden away! The place you are moving to sounds beautiful! I do hope you can get your own phone line.

I am heading off to bed! Hope you all have a terrific Tuesday tomorrow!

Jean -- from Iowa!
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 08:41 AM   #2  

Good morning gals! I decided in honor of the new Harry Potter movie coming out in a couple weeks, I would make my avatar the three teens that star in the movie. This is their movie premiere pic from last Friday night.

Jean: We don't go to the alter, but sit in our seats and pass the plates, which when you have kids between you can be dicey! Glad the ole perm turned out well. My hair is super thin and can't take a perm without being burned so I haven't had one since I was a kid. I was blessed with a natural wave to my hair so I have very little trouble with it until it starts to grow out then the nape curls up and such and drives me nuts. Right now I am seriously long overdue for a hair cut, but decided to go ahead and wait until the day before we go to Indiana so it will look nice. I am trying something radical......my natural hair color grown out, which is gray or white, we shall see. I have never let it grow out, so I am not sure what it will be. White I will put up with, the steel gray color, it is back to Clairol!

Gail: Sounds like you had a great time with family. Nothing like a mall to drive you nuts though! Jack hates them and I like them. The funny thing is, we have started planning our next sojourn to Vegas, which will be right before Christmas next year and he is talking about going to Nashville next October to the outlet mall to buy clothes for vacation! He HATES buying clothes or going with me to buy clothes. We have been in some great malls, Woodfield in Chicago is huge, I think 4 floors. Mall of America, need I say more, Opry Mills in Nashville is nice, Lynnhaven Mall in Va Beach used to be a nice mall, I don't know what it is like now, don't laugh, but we have been married so long, the mall pretty much didn't exist when we got married, so there were no malls in San Diego except a small shopping center in Escondido if I remember right and a small one in Rancho Bernardo. The Mall of Memphis, here used to be amazing, but they started having murders and the area went down hill and a year ago then tore down the whole thing, lock, stock and barrel. I said I thought the city ought to buy it and make it a huge jr high/high school and help cut down on overcrowding and our out of site school debt, but Jack said that wouldn't work.

Well, this isn't getting the old daily cleaning chores done and I am going to try and get some of the shampooing in our room done for Jack before he gets home, then he can just help me move the bed and do the rest of it. Better get to them as they don't do themselves!

Faye
gma22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 11:41 AM   #3  
DIET IS A 4-LETTER WORD

Good mornin'...

It is still gorgeous outside, in the mid-60's, sun shining. I'm going to walk again on my lunch hour. Walking and drinking water yesterday relieved a lot of the fluid retention. Perhaps today I'll be rid of it all. I'm still going to WW this evening. I'm not looking to lose a lot (fluid retention) this week but perhaps next week I'll be able to get rid of a bunch of pounds. ...which reminds me that I haven't told DH I will be late getting home this evening...

Jean, the last time I got a perm I looked like Harpo Marx. Never again. BUT I do get my hair highlighted and I'm due right now. I'm one of those people that go to beautician's with pictures cut out of a magazine--they must love me--I would love to have a bit of magic!

Faye, I normally love shopping at malls but not with a crowd of people to keep track of. DH goes to the mall about two times a year and one of those times shopping for a Christmas present for me. For himself, he likes ONE store at the mall and he only goes there and then it's out the door where we've parked.

I've been trying to type this post for a long time now. Today is so strange in the office. Two copiers keep jamming, I've spilled water from the water cooler, and people coming in here asking questions of the weirdest kind.

However...DH is home tonight.
GailR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 12:13 PM   #4  

Thought you would love these:

JACK (age 3) was watching his Mom breast-feeding his new baby sister.
After a while he asked: "Mom why have you got two? Is one for hot and one for cold milk?"

MELANIE (age 5) asked her Granny how old she was. Granny replied she was so old she didn't remember any more. Melanie said, "If you don't remember you must look in the back of your panties. Mine say five to six."

STEVEN (age 3) hugged and kissed his Mom goodnight. "I love you so much, that when you die I'm going to bury you outside my bedroom window."

BRITTANY (age 4) had an earache and wanted a painkiller. She tried in vain to take the lid off the bottle. Seeing her frustration, her Mom explained it was a childproof cap and she'd have to open it for her. Eyes wide with wonder, the little girl asked: "How does it know it's me?

SUSAN (age 4) was drinking juice when she got the hiccups. "Please don't give me this juice again," she said, "It makes my teeth cough."

D I (age 4) stepped onto the bathroom scale and asked: "How much do I cost?"

MARC (age 4) was engrossed in a young couple that were hugging and kissing in a restaurant. Without taking his eyes off them, he asked his dad: "Why is he whispering in her mouth?"

CLINTON (age 5) was in his bedroom looking worried. When his Mom asked what was troubling him, he replied, "I don't know what'll happen with this bed when I get married. How will my wife fit in?"

JAMES (age 4) was listening to a Bible story. His dad read: "The man named Lot was warned to take his wife and flee out of the city but his wife looked back and was turned to salt." Concerned, James asked: "What happened to the flea?"

TAMMY (age 4) was with her mother when they met an elderly, rather wrinkled woman her Mom knew. Tammy looked at her for awhile and then asked, "Why doesn't your skin fit your face?"

I figure Melanie has the right idea, even being fat my panties are younger than I am!!!!!

I don't think I ever posted this Thought you would get a kick out of it. He waits at his "perch" everyday at the same time for the UPS guy who loves him and lets him jump all over him when he delivers something. Funny how he knows when to sit there!

Last edited by gma22; 01-21-2006 at 06:33 AM.
Old 11-08-2005, 10:20 PM   #5  

Good Evening, Flowers! It was another beautiful (WARM) day in my corner of the world! I figure it is one day closer to spring w/o snow. We voted for city council members and mayor today as well as building a new jail. DH held the door open for a young woman and she asked his name . . . when he told her, she said she was going to write his name in for mayor because she didn't like either one of the choices on the ballot. That would be a hoot for sure. I have a headache tonight -- too many things to do and not enough time. Tomorrow after school I have to go to a reading meeting until 5. I go for weeks with nothing and this week I have something every day.

"Gma" -- In regards to malls, I find it interesting that the new ones being built are similar to the old strip malls. According to the newspaper, the reason is because people are in a hurry and don't want to take the time to shop inside a mall when they only want to go to one store. The newest one in Sioux city is sort of U shaped with parking in the middle. I've already decided there aren't enough parking spots for the number of stores in the area. You will have to keep us updated on your hair color!

Gail -- It was a weird day at school too! The kids were hyper and I'm going to blame it on the weather!

I need to decide what I am wearing tomorrow and do a load of laundry. Somehow I got off my schedule this weekend.

Have a wonderful Wednesday tomorrow!

Jean -- from Iowa!
Old 11-09-2005, 05:47 AM   #6  

Here it is 4:30 AM and I sit at the computer. I got up to do the old ladies dance to the bathroom and then went back to bed and started coughing so I ended up having to get up.

Jean: I am vain about two things, my hair and my nails and I have let them both go to pot since coming home from Las Vegas. I decided to give my nails a good long rest from my acryllics and will go back to them right before Thanksgiving and haven't had my haircut since before we went either so I look like a shaggy dog. I went and bleached my hair to get the red out so when they cut it, they should be cutting off most of the red/blond and I will be left with something closer to what it will look like when it is completely grown out. I am hoping the color, whether white or gray or combo blends well and looks ok. I just don't want to age 20 years,you know??? I have enough wrinkles without adding more age!

I went and ordered a Kitchenaid mixer from QVC last night. I was channel surfing and saw they had a Kitchenaid hour so checked in and they had them on special so I ordered one. I have wanted one for a long time, but they were like $400 and I can always find some place other than a mixer to put $400! I even got a nice cobalt blue color for the kitchen. Now all I have to figure out is where the heck to put it on the countertop! I also bought myself a new watch. I lost mine somewhere and have no clue. I only wear it when I am leaving the house and almost always, take it off and either put it in the laundry basket with the clothes that have to be taken upstairs, or take it upstairs and put it in my jewelry box. It is no where to be found so unless Butterscotch the thief took it, I have no clue. (I shampooed the master bedroom yesterday and found the cap to one of Jack's little portable memory storers for his computer under the bed) He is a like a magpie sometimes!

No news here much. Just looking forward to going up north for the holiday. I miss my son and dil and look forward to getting to see them and my sister and our friends. Unless your spouse is a NASCAR watcher, you have never seen this commercial, but they have one during the race where Dale Jarret who drives the UPS car is talking to a guy that handles the trucks for UPS and it is a tongue in cheek thing where he decides to use Dale's old stock cars to deliver instead of the brown trucks to make it faster. It is a funny commercial as you see these guys diving into the cars (as you know the doors are welded shut on a stock car and you have to crawl through the windows) in their UPS uniforms with packages hanging out the trunk etc. What makes it doubly funny for us are these friends we are going to see. He has been a UPS driver for like 20 years and the man is like 6' 10"! Thinking about him crammed into a stock car to deliver packages is a scream!

Well ladies, I am going to crash on the recliner for half hour until Jack gets up and make him some breakfast then I think I will go back to bed for an hour or so if I don't start coughing again.

TTFN

Faye
Old 11-09-2005, 12:35 PM   #7  
DIET IS A 4-LETTER WORD

Hi everyone! I usually post in the morning but it has been a crazy day here in the office so far. I sure hope things quiet down by the afternoon. I have piles of work on my desk with no end in sight. At least right now. I do priortorize!

I went to WW last night. I told y'all I was going even though I knew I wouldn't have a huge loss even though it was my first weigh-in. Fluid retention. Go away! Anyway, I did lose .8 of a pound. Hopefully, next week will be a better loss. I will not give up. I refuse. Yes, I told DH. Of course, he was very supportive.

I wish I could stay but I've got to get back to work...
Old 11-09-2005, 11:06 PM   #8  

Good Evening, Flowers! It was a very long day at school today! We had our reading meeting after school: the DAME who is the facilitator was 20 minutes late getting there and then wanted a TV/DVD player. She's the same one who kept pointing the remote at the TV the last time and couldn't figure out why the DVD player wouldn't work. DUH! Anyhow, she gave us another handout, put the same on the overhead, and proceeded to read it to us! I was to say the least! We were to break into groups and discuss . . . she had the nerve to ask how we would use the 'new' strategy in working with students. The case studies are dated in the 1970s for crying out loud. I plain out told her I do math not reading!

'Gma' -- DH woke me up in the middle of the night . . . scared me to death! It seems one of the cats decided to leave a fur ball on the bed. My old heart was beating so fast! I thought someone was breaking into the house the way he carried on! I know you will enjoy your new mixer! I've always wanted a Kitchenaid mixer too, but I don't cook enough that I even use a mixer very often.

Gail -- Congrats on the loss! Any loss is a great loss and especially so when you had company over the weekend! You will have another loss this week because you are determined you are going to do it!

I need to pick up the kitchen. I left piles when I went to bell choir practice tonight. It's the maid's day off.

Have a terrific Thursday!

Jean -- from Iowa!
Old 11-10-2005, 05:57 AM   #9  

Good morning gals. Significantly cooler this AM than it has been for a week. Maybe we are turning the fall corner at last. I know I have huge piles of leaves on the deck, but it has been windy so I decided to wait until the darn tree sheds the rest now!

Jean: I don't know why they are bothering with the stuff they are "teaching" you. Sounds antiquated and stupid to me. I don't blame you for being mad. I hate people who leave other people waiting. Jack handles the fur balls, "I ate something I shouldn't have" puking etc pretty well anymore. Fortune does this occasionally because he has a fleece elephant that is his "baby" and he will chew on it. You wake up to gagging and it is everyone off the bed!

Man, the ole bones can tell there is a 20 degree temp drop. Everything but my eyebrows hurt this morning! Gonna be tough on cleaning. I have the upstairs bathrooms to do today so it is kneeling etc! UGH!

Jack has tomorrow off but not because it is Veteran's Day. He has to take a sick day to go and have blood work done for his cardiologist appt the 22nd so he decided to do it tomorrow and have a 3 day weekend. We have to get some work here at home done anyway so it is a perfect time. (He just doesn't know it yet)

Well you girls have a great day!

Faye
Old 11-10-2005, 11:56 AM   #10  
DIET IS A 4-LETTER WORD

Hi everyone! Actually, I was in here earlier but I lost my post so I had to calm down from that. Anywhoo...

Another crazy day in the office. At least the time flies! My fluid retention is still in the process of leaving my body...but it is leaving!

Other than work, not a whole lot is happening with me. I go home at night, eat dinner, watch a little tv and then I'm asleep by 9pm.
Old 11-10-2005, 07:02 PM   #11  
Thin Within

Arrow Weigh Day

GOOD AFTERNOON MAGNOLIAS

Went to WW this day and showed a loss of 2.4 which is a reflection of my being OP this last week and drinking that water. Chug a lug. The bark control came today and we have it installed and waiting for a bark so we can adjust it. Not much out of the ordinary going around here which is good I guess.

JEAN sounds to me that your school district has some money to spend if you have to sit in those kinds of sessions. What a waste of tax payer money for sure.

FAYE hope Jack's session at the doctor turns out favorable tomorrow. It is good that some places are staying open.

GAIL ~ CONGRATULATIONS every loss is a celebration! Yeppers I knew that Wayne would be supportive of your going back to WW. Continue your good work. That is so agrivating to lose a post isn't it.
Maggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 09:29 PM   #12  

Good Evening, Flowers! It was a beautiful day in my corner of the world but it's getting darker earlier every evening. Everyone agreed that the meeting yesterday was a total waste of everyone's time! I'm glad I wasn't the only one who thought so. Tomorrow is an early dismissal and I can hardly wait to see what's in store for the in-service. NOT!

'Gma' -- I hope your aches and pains settled down as your day went along. I'm glad that at least your eyebrows didn't hurt!

Gail -- I've lost a post many times and it makes me so mad! But I always come back and try again! I hope your day was a good one!

Maggie -- Our school district has lots of grant money to use because we have so many minorities moving in. In this case, the reading program is geared for the elementary students but in order to get the money, all special ed. teachers had to have the training. If the packing plant were to shut down, we would be a ghost town. Wal Mart might even have to close . . . *gasp*! Congrats on the loss . . . you are doing GREAT!

I need to pick up the clutter and put in a load of laundry. Have a nice evening and a fantastic Friday!

Jean -- from Iowa!
Old 11-11-2005, 08:59 AM   #13  
DIET IS A 4-LETTER WORD

TGIF! I have never been so glad to have a work week end!

Maggie, gosh you're doing great! Congratulations on that great loss! I'm hoping for a better loss on Tuesday evening. I do know I feel better since I've been walking and drinking water more often.

Jean, when I lose a post I have to "calm" down a bit...and then I come back! But sometimes when I'm at work and it's busy it's more annoying because sometimes I can't come right back in.

Anyway...After work last night I went to the grocery store for my weekly shopping. I will never grocery shop on a Thursday evening again. Two grocery stores out of 1% low-fat milk. I couldn't buy/find everything I wanted to buy. I have to go back to the stores again tonight.
Old 11-11-2005, 09:28 AM   #14  

Good morning ladies! I am up a little later as Jack had to take day off to go and get his lab work done this morning. Poor guy is starving as he has to fast for 12 hours before and they don't open until 8!

**When I found that I was having trouble losing posts, I started highlighting my post and right click and copy then if I lost it, I could repost it or if I had run out of time at the moment, I would put it in a word document and save it then come back and cut it and paste back onto the site.

I am in charge of pies and rolls for Thanksgiving and I usually buy them but they have gone up to like $12 apiece at like Perkins or Bob Evans, etc. I don't care for most of the store bought stuff so I decided to make my own. Jack was my guinea pig yesterday and his was willing to make the sacrifice..... I found a recipe on allrecipes.com for coconut pie and it had 5 stars and 131 reviews, most of which were great. So, I went and bought stuff to make a coconut and a chocolate and came home and made them. He got to test them and give me critique. I love to cook and I feel I am very good, but I really drilled him about taste, crust, creaminess and on and on. He LOVES coconut pie and this was what he told me about mine..."Ok, this is what I think. The best coconut pie I have ever had is either Bob Evans or Das Essenhaus (an Amish restaurant in Indiana) and your pie if not exceeds it is equal to theirs!" WOOHOO! High praise! The day before we leave, I have 2 chocolate, a coconut, pecan, pumpkin cheesecake and a pretzel salad, which is my favorite. On top of that, I have at least 4 dozen yeast rolls to make so I will be hopping as I have to take Fortune to groomers too. I will probably go and get my haircut and my nails done over the weekend before. We usually pack up the night before and we are buying dry ice to take the pies etc up there so we have to go and get that Monday night and buy whatever snacks etc we want to take on the trip. I am looking forward to seeing my son and dil though.

I think we have changed our mind about vacation next year. I know, I know complete surprise since we love sin city so much, but the one thing we always wanted to do was go on a cruise. Several years ago when Jack still had a good job when we lived in Indiana, we booked one not once but twice. Each time, we would book, put down our deposit and with in a month or two from our booking he would get laid off from his job. We thought it was doomed and after that he struggled so much with employment we had to forget it. He was watching the travel channel last night and there were several hours about crusing on last night and we got to talking so I went into Carnival Cruise and looked to see what it would cost. We could go top notch all the way for probably $2000 less than Vegas. On top of that, we plan on going next Dec and it will be in the 50's in Vegas and in the 80's in the Caribbean!

Well, Jack should be home any time so I better go.

Maggie: for all the great losses you are having!

Carol: for starting on a good program to carry you through.

Faye
Old 11-11-2005, 12:04 PM   #15  
Thin Within

Arrow Good Morning Lovely Magnolias

What a lovely day in the neighborhood. Come lets enjoy a cup of jo together

I do believe the bark control thingie is working. We still have some adjusting to do but all is better along the home front. When we are in the car is another areal we will have to work on. This unit has to remain plugged in ~ no batteries. We will work it out.

FAYE I will have to go to that website and check out that coconut pie. I make a couple every Chirstmas and I got my recipe out of the Betty Crocker cook book eons ago ~ I'm talking when I was barely in my 20's. It always gets raves and I never have any left to bring home. A cruise ~ WOW now that sounds exciting and less money than Lost Wages. You could copy and paste your tickers in your word program then when you get ready to come here you could bring them over and put them in your "User CP" ~ just a suggestion.

JEAN hope you are enjoying your day off. Sorry, but I doubt that packing plant is going to close anytime in the near future. Perhaps the next generation of workers will have better school manners. Even though you get lots of grant money why in the world is it being wasted on such "meetings" is beyond me. If that woman wants to read out loud let her get a group lf kids that can't read and teach them and read out loud to them. Now that would be a good use of the grant money.

GAIL isn't that how it goes ~ when we are doing the right thing for our program like walking and drinking enough water that we feel better. I ask myself why I don't keep that up because I know it makes me feel better. I want to feel better so why...... I ate a banana for breakfast and that made me feel better. Viva la Banana's.

GLORIA you will soon be leaving us for a couple of weeks. Please do enjoy Disney World for me. I love that place. A couple that Will performed the marriage ceremony for last year went to Disneyland for their honeymoon. It is their anniversary this weekend and they are going to the whole week there once again. What fun! If you see Donald Duck laying down on the J-O-B give him a nudge and tell him to get up and get back to work.
Maggie is offline   Reply With Quote