The Biggest Loser - Winning by Losing For discussion of the NBC tv show The Biggest Loser and the book Winning by Losing, by Jillian Michaels

Old 11-10-2005, 10:03 AM   #1  
Shairing her ESH...

S/C/G: 350/321/TBD

Height: 5'6"

Default TBL Scale a Fake??

Interesting article...

http://msnbc.msn.com/id/9880082/
Old 11-10-2005, 10:19 AM   #2  

Default yeah

I sorta just took that as a given, that it was "fake". I always wondered why they bothered to take their shoes off. A real scale would give an instant accurate reading - this one is much more fun and suspenseful!
Old 11-10-2005, 10:37 AM   #3  

I thought perhaps that they weighed their clothes ahead of time! Thanks for sharing the info.
Old 11-10-2005, 11:40 AM   #4  
Shairing her ESH...

S/C/G: 350/321/TBD

Height: 5'6"

I knew the scale was a prop, but didn't know how they really did it. And really, we don't know if they weigh with clothes on or off....I bet on! I do remember from the first episode that they also took measurements with a tape and also the underwater test for body fat. It would be interesting to see those stats as well!
Old 11-10-2005, 12:49 PM   #5  
Puggy Balboa

Wow, good to know! I always wondered about that wonky scale. I thought it was just programmed to give a few false numbers before centering in on the correct one.
Old 11-10-2005, 05:01 PM   #6  
Uber-Moderator!!

Very interesting article!

I read the responses here before actually checking the article though - for a second I thought "damn, they're really great actors!" because they all acted as though they were in suspense/surprised/amazed during the weigh-in process, but the producers had that figured out by keeping the numbers secret from the contestants prior to the filmed weigh-in.

Since all the contestants are wearing the same articles of clothing (the men started wearing shirts again recently...I'm thinking that at least some of them have loose skin that they'd rather not reveal to the viewing audience) my guess is that the producers had already weighed the clothes and subtracted that amount to get the actual weight shown on the screen.

I've always assumed that it goes without saying that the contestants don't have access to a scale in the house or the gym...keeping that element of suspense at all times...that's showbiz!

Regarding the bodyfat dunk test - I'll bet they only do that at the beginning and during the final episode. As I said in this week's episode thread, the BF test is going to be a MAJOR barometer (as it was last season) in the placings - if any of the contestants decides to fast or dehydrate themselves that day to lower the scale weight, that can boomerang on them in the dunk tank.