General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Closed Thread

Old 08-24-2001, 11:22 PM   #1  

Question The Atkins Diet

Hey people,
i'm kinda new here and i was reading some of the posts and i have been hearing a lot about this Atkins diet. i haven't heard much infromation about it at this point but if someone can fill me in i would grately appreciate it.
i only started this plan about a week ago and i have been exercising daily, but not eating that grately. now i want to incorporate an eating plan so i can lose weight and eat healthier. i want to live a better lifestyle and continue living a good life.
if n e one has any advice or comments for me please respond i will greatly appreciate it. i would also love to know how you guys r doing in your weight loss process and what u r doing to lose the weight.

thanks a lot and keep on losing losers!
luv bella
Old 08-27-2001, 01:59 AM   #2  

Come visit the low carb forum towards the bottom of the message board entry page. Lots of Atkins dieters.
Old 08-28-2001, 03:15 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

Hi,
If you want to eat low carb-very limited bread, pasta, fruit,sugar, you will do well on Atkins or low carb. Atkins is starts as a week of only meat , eggs, and very limited vegetables, then you slowly take in more vegetables, and an occasional fruit. It is a way to eat, but not giving your body carbohydrates for energy, so your body is forced to use its own fat stores.
If you want to eat what you like but in moderation, try counting calories. I have a thread called Doin' it the old fashioned way on this forum. We would love to have you and help you in any way we can.
Either way you go, good luck!
Aphil
Old 08-31-2001, 08:06 PM   #4  
Work in Progress

Hi,
Come and check out the support for low carbs thread in the Misc club forum
Pat
Low carb since 7/01
Old 09-01-2001, 12:07 PM   #5  

Research shows that Atkins diet is not good for the long term...

It results in rapid weight loss, but this weight loss is mostly water and lean muscle mass, and not fat. For the explanation, check out this article by Melinda Hemmelgarn, MS, RD at http://www.wellnessweb.com/nutri/atkins_diet.htm
Old 09-08-2001, 02:26 AM   #6  

Cool my experience with Atkins

I was on Atkins for 5 months. Twice I was stuck on 6 week plateaus. After 6 weeks of the 2nd plateau, I switched to low calorie and dropped 21 pounds in one month! Plus, I felt so much better and could eat a better variety of foods. So...it's not for everyone.
Old 09-12-2001, 07:23 PM   #7  

Huskerroth, I had a similar experience, although I did Atkins for almost two years. I liked it because I felt it gave me energy, and I do like to eat meat, and since I'm hypoglycemic I need to eat low carbs anyway. The problem was every time I wanted to cheat just a little bit, it took three days just to back into ketosis. The good part was I was never hungry,but I got bored and let go of it.

However, switching now to weight watchers, I'm choosing whatever foods I want, but using my Atkins training to avoid simple carbs. I eat only very complex carbs, and not many of
them, and I get the appetite control without being obsessed with ketosis. And it is much more forgiving when you cheat-- you can make up for it the next day, or at least get right back on track without feeling you've undone a week's efforts.

So, my advice to everyone is to pick up the Atkins book and try it for a month or two. It will help you learn a lot about your own metabolism. Then you can switch to a more balanced and interesting diet, where you choose the foods right for you! I love weight watchers so far! (end of week two)
Closed Thread