Old 10-30-2005, 06:56 PM   #1  
1/2 Marathon May 15 2011

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'0"

Question Just wondering... fat/carbs/protein

I've been doing fitday all this week.. and was just wondering what are fat/carbs/protein % should be. Do you know your numbers?

This is just my first week (for the 20th time ) but for the past 5 days my #s are: fat 37% - carbs 42% - protein 21% - alcohol 0%

I know that my carbs are high.. right now I'm okay with that - I'm starting with just journaling

What's with the alcohol - do they mean sugar???
there is no place to put sugar when you do a custom food.

Dana
Charbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2005, 07:18 PM   #2  

I've been trying to follow the zone plan which says 40% carbs 30% fat and 30% protein.
Valerie Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2005, 07:26 PM   #3  

Your carbs are only high if you are trying to follow a plan that says they are.

I am on Jenny Craig, and our menus average out to: 60% carb / 20% fat / 20% protein. Personally, I try to bring it down to 55% carb / 20% fat / 25% protein. Either is right in line with the USDA recs.

Dr. Andrew Weil advocates 50 / 25 / 25 I believe.
funniegrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2005, 07:40 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

I'm pretty carb sensitive, and I lift weights so I usually do 40P/30C/30F (good fat only).

When I drink wine, the wine shows up in the alcohol section, which is the only time I ever have anything in that section. So I assume the calculation is based on alcoholic beverages.
Sheila53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005, 09:31 AM   #5  
IR/PCOS/Pre-Diabetic

S/C/G: 310/*ticker*/150

Height: 5'4"

Because I'm carb-sensitive, I try to limit them somewhat. (I have PCOS) Most of my carbs, when I'm on-plan, come from veggies and fruits and the occasional sugar in my coffee or some whole wheat toast or oatmeal. When I'm not on-plan, all bets are off. *laughs*

On-plan days I'm usually around 40 percent calories from carbs, 35 from fat, and 25 from protein. It varies by as much as 5-10 percent from day to day, but the overall trend seems to be around that. I don't worry too much about fat, except that it adds up the calories very quickly, and I am ultimately on a calorie-counting plan. I'd rather have one pat of real, flavorful, wonderful butter on my toast than a tablespoon of pale, insipid, tasteless "spread".

Not that I'm biased, or anything... *grins*
synger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005, 09:34 AM   #6  
IR/PCOS/Pre-Diabetic

Oh, and yes the "alcohol" section of Fitday is for alcoholic beverages. Beer, wine, margaritas, martinis... the alcohol in them shows up in that separate area. They will also show the carbs and sodium and such, but the alcohol is listed and tracked separately.
Old 10-31-2005, 09:56 AM   #7  
1/2 Marathon May 15 2011

Hey Synger.. how do you make your fitday journal public? I didn't know you could do that. Mine always asks for my password.
Old 10-31-2005, 10:02 AM   #8  
1/2 Marathon May 15 2011

okay.. this is weird.. how did the past two messages get on this thread? I'd better get some caffine
Old 10-31-2005, 10:20 AM   #9  
Long Time Member

Height: 5'6

Dana You OK? What's going on? Is everything working Ok?
Sandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005, 10:28 AM   #10  

I usually aim for 50% carbs, 30% protein, and 20% fat. But, I only count calories so it doesn't bother me if those numbers get a little out of whack sometimes. Every now and then I get on a nut kick and that ups my fat percentage. It isn't saturated, though, so I don't worry about it. And, you know, sometimes its because I ate cheesecake and that's okay too because that type of thing is occasional not habitual.

I landed on the 50/30/20 breakdown because after a decent amount of tracking in fitday I realized those were the levels at which I felt the best.
lucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005, 02:54 PM   #11  
IR/PCOS/Pre-Diabetic

Hey Synger.. how do you make your fitday journal public? I didn't know you could do that. Mine always asks for my password.
Once you log in, you usually end up on the food entry page for that day. On the left sidebar there is an icon for Home. That's your home page, where you put in your gender and height and such.

At the bottom of that page, it tells you the URL if you want to make your journal public. People can look at it, but they can't alter it.

Fitday also has a journalling feature, but I never use it.