Old 10-30-2005, 03:16 PM   #1  
Opulent

Default I really need some support, PLEASE!!!

I have been here just a short while and am really working to improve my habits (exercise and so on) and am doing a pretty good job so far, but I really would like some support.

I recently joined TOPS (went to one meeting and will go back Wednesday) and it's a group full of sweet grannies and fiesty "ol' biddies"-that's how they introduced the group . I think that it will be a nice place to visit and keep me on track, but I really need some people I can relate to.

It seems that most of my posts either get ignored or no one seems to feel/live like I do (I live a vegan lifestyle) or even relates!

I am working on losing 100 pounds, the old-fahioned, healthy way- watching calories, eating lots of vegetables and fruits, whole-foods, no artificial colors or flavors and so on. No caffiene, no sugars etc. Only good fats and very limited ones even then. 8-10 glasses of water daily. I prepare 95% of my food from scratch at home. I am working on exercising a minimum of 30 minutes of cardio daily (I had to revise my goals to be more realistic!) and some days I get in 90 minutes!

Basic common sense and healthy habits, right? Then why do I feel like an alien here I feel like I just need some motivation, even if peole don't relate to my lifetyle, they can relate to needing to lose 100 pounds, right

Let's focus on the positives though...and what we have in common! Anyone willing to help a girl out?

Thanks so much and I hope this thread thrives.
Yogini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2005, 03:21 PM   #2  
ButDoesntWannaLookLikeOne

S/C/G: 230/218/170

Height: 5'4"

Hi Yogini

Your plan sounds fantastic! Are you getting enough protein via soy products, beans, nuts, etc.? I always worry about vegetarians/vegans + protein. Protein will help you hold on to muscle mass as you lose fat, so it's good stuff .
LovesBassets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2005, 03:32 PM   #3  
Opulent

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovesBassets
Hi Yogini

Your plan sounds fantastic! Are you getting enough protein via soy products, beans, nuts, etc.? I always worry about vegetarians/vegans + protein. Protein will help you hold on to muscle mass as you lose fat, so it's good stuff .

Thanks, and you are absolutely right! I recently made a shift and focus much more on protein foods rather than whole grains. I eat beans and lentils daily (several cups!) and also soy a few times a week. A typical plate may look like this:

1/3 beans 1/3 whole grain (brown rice or quinoa or whole wheat pasta) and 1/3 veggies with another plate full of just raw salad (lettuces, spinach, arugula, beets, carrots, cucumbers, celery and so on) and fat-free dressings.

For snacks, I often just have beans with spices and lemon juice I make a lot of stews and soups that are only veggie and beans/lentils (no whole grains).

I track what I eat a few times a week on "Fitday" and always get plenty of protein and loads of all my nutrients, vitamins and minerals, I just need to exercise more and keep not eating late at all
Old 10-30-2005, 03:36 PM   #4  
Opulent

Quote:
Originally Posted by POOKIE88
Hi Yogini

It sounds to me like you are doing all the right things. I don't know anything about TOPS, but maybe you should look for a group of folks that you can really identify with. When I go to my WW meetings there is a nice MIX of people from all different age groups and backgrounds etc.

The 100 lbs Club has a lot of people with really great ideas and attitudes.
I'm sure you will get a lot of support here.

--Pookie

Yes you are right. I have been looking for a group that meets my needs more closely but haven't found one that is affordable! Maybe I should start a veg*n TOPS nearby Something to think about, as WW is not affordable for me at this time.

Thanks fr the support, Ladies I really intend on making it this time! I feel so healthy already most of the time and have made so many good changes that I can't WAIT to be rid of this extra fat and see how great I'll feel then! I'll be a lot more active here and I am sure that will help.
Old 10-30-2005, 03:54 PM   #5  

Yogini -- Have you tried Quorn, too? It's fungi-based, but don't let that scare you because it's absolutely delicious! It comes in cutlets, nuggets, "hot dogs," and even roasts. VERY high in protein...but hard to find (unless you're in the UK).

Pookie -- thanks for the sweet compliment!!

Last edited by LovesBassets; 10-30-2005 at 04:12 PM.
Old 10-30-2005, 04:06 PM   #6  
Opulent

LovesBassets, Quorn has animal products in it so it's not something I eat Thanks for looking out for me though...I am waiting for new products to come out that are plant-based whole foods and are high protein, but so far lentils and beans are the best bets, along with some soy products.
Old 10-30-2005, 04:08 PM   #7  
Opulent

Pookie, I avoid bread, potatoes and so on, choosing green veggies over everything and then cabbages and so on. I also avoid sugar and other "unnecessary" carbs, getting what I need from veggies and beans mostly.
Old 10-30-2005, 04:14 PM   #8  

Yogini, that's interesting. I didn't realize Quorn had animal products...learn something new every day! I'm not a vegetarian or vegan, I just eat it because it's yummy and I good source of protein . Plus I despise chicken (long story ) and I use Quorn in traditionally "chicken" recipes.

Last edited by LovesBassets; 10-30-2005 at 04:19 PM.
Old 10-30-2005, 05:08 PM   #9  
Big Ol' loser

We are all here to lose over 100lbs but we are all on different diets- I think its important to remember no matter what diet you choose whether vegan, low fat, low carb, jenny craig, la weightloss etc... we are all on the same journey. We are here to support each other so post away. The concentration can't be on what diet you've chosen but what struggles you have. For example I love love love sweets. I struggle with it daily. I struggle with portions and affording to eat within our budget but on the plan. It takes work but I'm constantly refining what I do.

What are the struggles you have? Is it finding food that fit within your plan? It sounds like going to a natural food store would be wonderful for you.

Just remember we are going through the journey too. Have you thought about looking into overeaters anon I think its free. Maybe just check it out.
goalnorolls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2005, 06:05 PM   #10  
Howie6267's Honey

S/C/G: 277 / See ticker / 160

Height: 5'9"

Hi, Yogini - Sorry you felt left out. Your diet sounds very healthy. Howie and I eat a lot of beans as protein, though we're not vegan/vegetarian. They're just power-packed and low in fat, two good things!

I saw from your profile that you teach Yoga. Tell me something, can someone with knee and wrist problems do the Yoga positions? I was toying with the idea of taking a beginner's class at the YMCA some time this winter, but was concerned about those issues.
Gardenwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2005, 07:42 PM   #11  

Hi Yogini,

I am fairly close to you in eating style, it seems -- not so much in terms of being a vegan, but in terms of leaving out sugars and preservatives and processed foods. I an a pesco-ovo-lacto vegetarian, however (no land meat, but I do eat fish and dairy). I also make nearly all my food from scratch. I feel like a different human being eating this way and the only times in my adult life I have ever been thin, I was eating like this. I stopped eating like this twice and gained all my weight both times (the first time -- about 80 lbs. in one year). Both times, I had moved to a developing country where it was pretty hard to explain the luxury of giving up an entire food group and where Nestle had become God and Nestle products where cheap and ubiquitous.

Anyway, you are not alone here. I'd love to swap some recipes with you if you'd like.
irishgreengables is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2005, 09:07 PM   #12  
Opulent

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishgreengables
Hi Yogini,

I am fairly close to you in eating style, it seems -- not so much in terms of being a vegan, but in terms of leaving out sugars and preservatives and processed foods. I an a pesco-ovo-lacto vegetarian, however (no land meat, but I do eat fish and dairy). I also make nearly all my food from scratch. I feel like a different human being eating this way and the only times in my adult life I have ever been thin, I was eating like this. I stopped eating like this twice and gained all my weight both times (the first time -- about 80 lbs. in one year). Both times, I had moved to a developing country where it was pretty hard to explain the luxury of giving up an entire food group and where Nestle had become God and Nestle products where cheap and ubiquitous.

Anyway, you are not alone here. I'd love to swap some recipes with you if you'd like.
That's good that you follow a whole-foods pescetarian diet; it is certainly more healthy than the standard American Diet! It must have been really hard for you to adapt to your new environment and eating situation! I have often discussed this with my family (the whole what would we do if we were in another country and food was scarce thing) and it has actually kept us from moving to Costa Rica

Please send me a PM if you'd like to chat and exchange recipes. I am going to post some in the veggie section as soon as I have the time to get together my best ones that are good enough to please omins
Old 10-30-2005, 09:10 PM   #13  
Opulent

Quote:
Originally Posted by POOKIE88
IrishGreenGables>"pesco-ovo-lacto vegetarian": - wow that is a mouthful! I used to work with a vegetarian who never ate anything with a "face" including fish.
People who eat fish but no other animals are known as "pescetarians" in the veg*n community (fish is not a plant ) and many veggies I know live by that same rule as your co-worker, to never eat anything with a "face" a "mother" "eyes" and so on I think it makes good sense
Old 10-30-2005, 09:35 PM   #14  
1/2 Marathon May 15 2011

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'0"

Yogini.. Welcome to the 100lb club. Your plan blows my mind. I admire you for it! I have to be one of the poorest eaters out there! but I'm trying! If I eat an orange I pat myself on the back. If I eat 5 fruits/veggies a day I am very happy!!

I'm just wondering why you don't eat meats? I'm just curious - not judging. It's interesting, I think, how where we live can have such an impact on how and what we eat at times. My dh and I used to live in southern california. For the most part it appears that people eat a lot healthier. There seems to be a lot more variety available. I live in Wisconsin - the fattest place on earth - or atleast it seems. Beer, brats, deep fried cheese curds and a large part of the population that smokes.

I try to avoid processed foods. I know they are not good for me. They are just so darn easy Baby steps, right? I say that I don't like beans.. but to be honest - I've never tried beans. I've tried baked beans (canned - processed) - I ate one - GROSS!!

Do you eat lots of nuts or granola? I been told they are good for you - but I find they are high in fat and calories.

Do you make anything from stratch? ie. butter or cheese? I'd love to about making cool things like that.

Anyhow.. I'm rambling! But welcome. We are happy you are here. Being 100lbs over weight we have unique challenges. This is the place to share them.
Charbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2005, 10:11 PM   #15  
Born Loser

S/C/G: 490/See Tracker/245

You may not be able to find someone on your exact plan but like you said we all have over 100 lbs to lose and I find that to be a better common denominator than what plan you follow. There are just so many things to deal with when your that over weight, that others don't understand. So welcome to the group. We look forward to getting to know you better.
howie6267 is offline   Reply With Quote