Old 10-27-2005, 02:56 AM   #1  
Laura

Unhappy I'm Still Alive!

Hi! I've haven't had time to post the couple of weeks - I'm sorry. I haven't even read 99% of the posts.

My brother and his family were in town last week which was really fun. We did all the fun tourist things with them. We ate out a lot but I managed my food well (though too hard to track in FitDay) and it helps that I've completely switched to diet cola now.

They left on Friday. Our daughter started getting sick the next day (she's 4). Nothing too serious - seems to be a cold, but includes a nasty cough and it's really hanging on - she is still sick today (though insisting she is well enough for school tomorrow - she LOVES school and she's "Line Leader" this week so she can't leave her responsibilities ).

The bad things though: We'll start with the worst.

We had to put our elderly dog to sleep on Tuesday. He was 16, a sheltie. I've had him for 15 years!!! Nearly half my LIFE! He was such a great dog! I just loved him to pieces! He's been through everything important to me: college, several moves, getting married, two babies - you name it, he was here! He's been really having a hard time for a while now and I think we were just in denial - it's hard to see when you love something so much. But the last week or so, he'd gotten increasingly worse and it became clear to us that he was in pain and we just couldn't let it go on. The decision was just so heartwrenching to make. I've never had to make that decision before - all my other pets have just ... died on their own, ya know? But we said it was time and the vet agreed. The last few days have just been so painful. My husband was able to take him and stay and things ended well and everyone was really caring and gentle - so that made me feel better. <sigh> I'll really miss him...

Unfortunately, I have the flu now and spent all of last night fighting off a high fever. Had a little bit of a fever today but am on the mend (though still miserable) today.

Eating has been going well though I really haven't been tracking in FitDay for obvious reasons. I got on the scale yesterday and was the same weight so obviously I'm doing something right.

I'll be back to tracking and posting once I'm well. I just didn't want anyone to think I'd fallen off the face of the earth.
alphabetsoup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 10:31 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 344/279.1/???

Height: 5'6"

Poor Laura. (((BIG HUG))) I'm so sorry to hear you had to put down your baby. It is never easy losing a pet.

I hope you get over being sick soon.
barbygirl43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 10:47 AM   #3  

Laura, I am so sorry that you've lost your beloved pet. I've been in that position a couple of times and I know how tough a decision it is to let them go. Even knowing that putting them to sleep is the "right" thing to do doesn't make it any less sad. You can rest assured that he knew how much you loved him. I hope you are feeling better soon.
lucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 12:34 PM   #4  
Made in England!

S/C/G: 260/260/169

Height: 5' 4"

Oh, Laura. I'm so sorry about your dog. Losing a long-time pet is hard to bear.

Kudos to you for maintaining after your hectic few weeks. I've missed you over in the Journal/Buddy thread, and look forward to seeing you back there when you recover.

Take care and allow yourself to grieve your loss.
DishyFishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005, 10:18 AM   #5  
Downsizing Dee!

Oh Laura, I'm so sorry to hear about the loss of your dog. It's always so hard to lose a pet.

It was good to hear that you had fun with your family! Thanks for keeping us up to date.

~Dee
newfiedarling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005, 11:38 AM   #6  
Shairing her ESH...

S/C/G: 350/321/TBD

Height: 5'6"

Big hugs, Laura--I know what it is like to lose a pet like that.
Jen415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005, 12:08 PM   #7  
Never surrender

S/C/G: 251 current/237 minigoal/180

Height: 5' 9"

sorry to hear about your sheltie. that's really tough. I've lost a few very loved pets.
dragonwoman64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005, 02:03 PM   #8  
Linda

Height: 5'0"

So sorry for your loss, Laura!

I hope you're feeling better soon...we miss you

xoxox
Linda
famograham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005, 02:58 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

I'm so sorry to hear about losing your longtime companion. It's so hard to lose a beloved pet.

Welcome back! Hope you feel better soon.
Sheila53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2005, 02:38 PM   #10  
wip

Height: 5' 10"

Sorry about your dog. We too have an elderly dog (chesapeake bay retriever). She's 15 and I know her time is coming. Way to go for maintaining. I just started using fitday and doesn't always fit. Keeps me honest so far though. Good to hear from you. Hope you're feeling better soon.
wip is offline   Reply With Quote