Old 11-17-2006, 10:27 PM   #1  

Height: 5.6

Post Has Anyone Tried Body for Life?

Has anyone read the Body for Life for Women book? I have recently read it and it seems like it might be "do-able" and was wondering if anyone had tried this program. I don't have time to go to Weight Watchers meetings or anything like that - thank goodness for this site - this is where my accountability comes in..... Anyway - this book seems to make a lot of sense - I just wanted to get someone else's perspective on the information.

Have a great evening!!

Penney
Penney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2006, 02:34 AM   #2  
Never want to go back!

S/C/G: 338.4/190.8/165

Height: 6 ft

I haven't heard of that one. Who is the author?
CLCSC145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2006, 07:34 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

I really like it too. Sorta plain talking, isn't it?
There's a thread around. I'll find you a link and you can join us!
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2006, 07:45 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Here it is ...
http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=93196
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2006, 04:50 PM   #5  

Post Author/Link

The author is Pamela Peeke. It really is a good book.

It is very plain speaking - which I like.

You should check out the book. To me - a lot of it just makes sense.

Susan - thanks so much for the link!

Have a great evening!
Old 11-18-2006, 06:36 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 220/187.6/120

There's a blog by a lady who has been on BFL for a loong time I used to read, do a google search for skwigg (moderators, please delete if this is not allowed)

Very inspirational, and she has easy recipes with pictures.
tritef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 02:34 PM   #7  

Thumbs up You were right

I like the website. Pretty interesting! The addy is skwigg.com She has some pretty good links as well.

Thanks for the info!!
Old 11-19-2006, 09:13 PM   #8  

Smile

I'm reading that book now. Just started, I have the other book body for life. I like the book and am going to check out these links before the boys get in form school.
kiwichic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 10:06 PM   #9  

So did you find anything that you like?
Old 11-22-2006, 01:24 AM   #10  
Going to ONEderland

I did the workout sessions of the original Body for Life a few years ago. It wasn't the "for women" version which came later. I made the commitment and did it for 12 straight weeks.

Thing is I am an Atkins person. Firmly and truly believe in low carb as the way to lose weight. So I tried to do BFL with Atkins as my diet part. It didn't work for me very well. Not enough energy with true Atkins to be able to work out that hard. So I wound up not really on a diet during that time.

I did lose a dress size during the 12 weeks. Got down to a size 16 from about 18 or 20s. Got to my lowest weight ever the week I WAS able to do Atkins induction and also BFL. But I couldn't sustain the exercise level at 20 grams of carbs a day. Too exhausting.

So during the 12 weeks I didn't lose any weight that I kept off. I did gain a lot of muscle, and I did lose a clothing size. Looked pretty good when I was done. At first though I found I was gaining weight, not losing it.

From calculations I did using the fat measuring calipers, I determined that althogh no pounds came off, I decided that I had lost about 15 pounds worth of fat, and gained the same amount in muscle mass. That was a guess though based on math and fat caliper pinch tests that could have been less than completely accurate.

Body for Life is a good program if you can make the commitment and stick to it. It isn't for sissy's. 12 weeks, 6 days a week working out. It is a serious commitment. I'm not convinced though that his type of aerobics is good for a person. I know I really overdid it when it came to the aerobics part of it all. Aerobics in order to really burn fat need to be done in a certain "zone". Work at it too hard and you wind up not burning fat so much as burning fuel that you eat. I worked at it WAY too hard, and I think it slowed my metabolism as a result.

If I did it again I would definitely do that part differently.
SherryA is offline   Reply With Quote