Exercising

• Hi all! New to this part of the 3FC forum, but everyone always makes you feel so welcome that I thought I'd jump in with a question!

I've been losing weight steadily since August, but need a little help with some exercises! Currently either walk 3 miles or do my elliptical for 30 minutes everyday. This has been great, my thunder thighs are slimming down, etc. What I need help with is my arms and tummy! The loose jiggly stuff under my arms is driving me crazy! As for my tummy, I've had two kiddos by c-section. Granted it was many years ago, but I have that "hang-over" stomach that many people have after a c-section.

I know you can't really spot tone, but do you have any exercise recommendations for these areas? Any help would be appreciated!!
  • I think that you should start to lift weights. Also, for me running has really helped me lose some of the tummy fat. I run in intervals of running (more like jogging) and walking quckly. Hope that helps.
  • Another thing that's great for all-over toning is the crosstrainer elliptical... you know, the one with the moving handlebars as well as the foot things? The more sections of your body you move all at once, the faster you'll see results all over. As women, we do tend to put on weight in some spots more than others - not our fault, just another obstacle that we beautiful women have to overcome - so be patient and keep going!

Also, Crescendo is absolutely right - weight training will help you build muscle, which in turn will help you burn more calories during the day and create more all-over slimming. And don't worry about getting bulky muscles; again, because we are women, we lack the amount of testosterone it takes to build huge muscles.

Good luck to you!
  • Weight training! It helps boost your metabolism so you burn more calories even at rest. Be patient with this though - it does take some time to start to see definition, especially on areas with higher levels of fat.

Keep varying your cardio - it helps to keep your body guessing & makes you work harder. Plus, if you're like me you if helps ward off boredom.
  • Quote:
    I think that you should start to lift weights. Also, for me running has really helped me lose some of the tummy fat. I run in intervals of running (more like jogging) and walking quckly. Hope that helps.
    I agree with this from personal experience. I walk an average of 60 minutes a day last month and this month am up to almost 90 a day. But every other day or so I "shake it up a bit" . I start jogging/running for a few minutes. I immediately felt the burn in the top part of my tummy. Guess what is now looking trimmer? Now I need the rest of the tummy to go with it!
  • I recently discovered using a weight bag to exercise and it's been a lot of fun. It's definitely toning my arms, and it's great cardio too. When I'm done working out with it, I'm usually dripping with sweat from head to toe. (Sorry for the ugly visual, but at least I know I've gotten a good work out in!) It's a lot of fun and it's definitely something different.