3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   100 lb. Club (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/100-lb-club-55/)
-   -   My newest dilemma! (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/100-lb-club/93271-my-newest-dilemma.html)

zandersnannyk 09-06-2006 11:32 PM

My newest dilemma!

Hello everyone:

I went to the dentist today and got more than I bargained for, I just wanted my abcessed tooth fixed, but after they did full mouth x-rays, the dentist told me that all of the fillings that I have in my teeth are broken down and I would need 8 root canals and crowns and he told me he could not guarantee them for a year even. (I had braces as a teen and always have taken very good care of my teeth), but the dentist told me today, that his advice for me to save lots of $$ and keep from having frequent tooth aches, etc, I should let them pull all of my top teeth out and get a denture, I almost fell out of the chair :faint: I sat in that chair and cried forever, and then I came home and cried the rest of the evening, I don't know if I am being vain or what, I don't know anyone my age with dentures, I am freaking out and don't know what to do, I probably need :kickbutt: ! I can tell you what I wanted to do, in between my crying jags, was to make a big pan of brownies or something, but instead I did Angel Food cake, and I didn't eat the whole thing, that is the only thing positive I can think of about this, is that maybe I won't be able to eat for several days and that will boost my weight loss. Can anyone please assure me this is not as terrible as it sounds to me--I know it could be something really awful, I know I am a very blessed person, but this just really frustrates me and upsets me--can anyone relate, before I binge really big time!:stress:

This is what I still look like for now:D :D :D

Sandi 09-06-2006 11:43 PM

I think a second opinion is in order. I'd like to know what the other options are. Root canals and crowns are awfully expensive. But I have no idea what the teeth puuling and dentures would cost.

zandersnannyk 09-07-2006 12:01 AM

Well, this dentist is my new cousin, he actually married my cousin a year ago, so since my other dentist retired I started going to him, so I am sure he would not lie to me, and as far as the cost, the root canals and crown, etc, 2 teeth $950, which my dental ins. does not cover, pulling and the top denture around $825, and my ins would pay for the pulling--I just don't know though, I am so upset, thanks for the advice and answer though!

Sandi 09-07-2006 12:06 AM

I don't think he'd lie, but sometimes another dentist could see an alternative. It just seems so aggressive.

midwife 09-07-2006 08:24 AM

Get a second opinion anyway. It is not that he is lying, it is that that is just HIS professional opinion. Go get another one.

djs06 09-07-2006 09:26 AM

Oh my.. I don't have any advice to give but I just wanted to give you a big virtual hug! :grouphug: My uncle got dentures in his early thirties, I'm not too sure why, but I didn't know that until recently. I know it's very traumatic for you but keep in mind that, like anything we're uncomfortable with, it's much more noticable to ourselves. Definitly ask him about other options and let him know you're uncomfortable with that idea.

ladybugnessa 09-07-2006 09:53 AM

I'd get a second opinion... seriously. I'm 46 and i have horrible teeth my dentist would never do that... i have 3 crowns now that have to be fixed.

my DH is in the process of getting dentures... gonna run us about 5k after everything.

fiddler 09-07-2006 02:11 PM

PLEASE get a second opinion, and maybe even a third opinion. No one is suggesting that the dentist is trying to deceive you, but dentists do not have the same level of proficiency in all techniques, and the fact that he married your cousin might mean he is a nice guy, but it doesn't necessarily mean he's a good dentist. This is too big a decision to make without being completely informed.

beautifulone 09-07-2006 05:42 PM

I also suggest getting a second or even third opinion!