What food item did you HAVE to let go of?

You're on Page 1 of 4
Go to
  • What one food did you think you could work into your weight-loss plan, but then realized you needed to let it go in order to lose weight? In other words, you thought you could handle that food in your diet, but it just wasn't working, and you just weren't losing?

P.J.
  • FF Cool Whip and Skinny Cow ice cream sandwiches. Yes, they are "lower calorie / fat", but my mind plays tricks on me, and I can't stop eating them! I sacrifice healthy food, to leave room for these. No more for me!
  • Bread!

I didn't intentionally set out to do the whole "low carb" thing but I did initially cut bread out because it was such a trigger food.

Then I realised I just had to have my toast with vegemite lol and so swapped to dark ryes and multigrain/wholemeal breads

Liv
  • Peanut Butter that's a MAJOR trigger food for me!
  • I have to second Liv's comment. Bread is my downfall. Wonder Buttermilk White Bread. It's soft, fluffy, and it warms my tummy. I can't stop at one, two, three, four, get the picture? I do better with whole grain bread (1).
  • Chocolate chip cookies. Even the sugar free ones. I just couldnt stop eating them. Whenever my mom makes cookies, i have to tell her to hide them somewhere, which is terrible. But hey, you do what you gotta do.
  • I thought I would be able to handle baked yams on my maintenance plan. nope, I eat too much of them and too much butter on them. Best for me to leave it alone.
  • My beloved, all time favorite cereal, Kashi Go Lean Crunch... sigh. It has been my breakfast of choice for the last few years during my weight loss and maintenance, but alas, I've developed a dependency on it, or rather, a tendency graze/binge on it throughout the day. So I cut it out completely, as I was no longer able to trust myself with it in the house. I believe I've mourned it's loss and moved on, but the memories shall last a lifetime... Damn how I loved my Kashi!!

Oh well, whatever works, right?

Beverly
  • Quote: What one food did you think you could work into your weight-loss plan, but then realized you needed to let it go in order to lose weight? In other words, you thought you could handle that food in your diet, but it just wasn't working, and you just weren't losing?
    Well, I didn't let them go because I wasn't losing weight, I let certain foods go because they had absolutely zero nutritional value. In July 2004, I completely gave up the following foods forever: fast food, sugary soda and packaged baked goods (including crackers), most candy. I severely limit the following foods: booze, home made baked goods, fried foods, full fat cheese. I didn't just want to be thin, I wanted to be the healthiest person possible.

I also had a hard time with sugary foods, eating one sugary bite just made me want to cram in 50 bites. Giving up sugar was a huge blessing, it broke the sugar cravings and my tastebuds changed to really appreciate the natural sweetness in foods like cherry tomatoes, baked sweet potatoes and fruit. I know some people can practice moderation, I could not.

I don't miss any of the foods I gave up AT ALL. I have no cravings for those kinds of foods anymore.
  • I haven't really. There are some things I eat in very strict moderation, but nothing is completely banned. I did give up meat, but I didn't do it because I needed to do it to lose weight.
  • White bread - I'm with Liv and harkeyvalley - I know if I eat it it'll be covered in butter, and it really won't stop at one. This includes buns, too - my biggest challenge with this was Easter - I LOVE hot cross buns, and used to eat a couple bags every Easter (there are 12 in a bag - ew!), warmed up with butter on them. I wanted one more than anything this spring, but I knew one wouldn't be enough, so I just kept avoiding them until the holiday was over... let's hope it's easier next year!
  • I've thought about this since I saw the original question last night and I can't think of anything. Ice cream, the odd fried thing??? I eat them add in the calories at fitday and take my lumps.
    Nope, there's nothing that I 'never' eat.
  • Cheese. I don't "never" eat it, but I certainly don't have it as a regular thing. I have a cheese day once a month where I have a little bit, and if I eat a lot, so be it.

Now if I want cheese I have haloumi or cottage cheese or ricotta, but cheddars and the like are just bad news. It's so easy to go over on your calories eating cheese.
  • Ditto on the Kashi Beverly. It was becoming our replacement for ice cream. We would end up having a huge bowl at night with frozen blueberries.

I also had to give up fast food hamburgers. They just set me off. I could eat four or five in one sitting. Plus once I have them that is all I crave. So it's better off to just leave them alone. I do have hamburgers but they are either made at home or if I'm in a sit down restaurant I might order one.
  • I had to give up fast food. There were times that I would have fast food twice a day. YUK!! and the more I ate it the more I craved it.
    I haven't had fast food in 6 months and to tell you the truth I don't even miss it.