Old 08-14-2006, 02:51 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 340/325/175

Height: 5'8"

Question Anyone having success with WW points?

Hi:

I am doing WW points and so far have done pretty well, but was wondering if people have had good luck with this or better luck with something else. Here is my problem, I like maybe 4 kinds of vegetables (green beans, corn, potatos,"are cucumbers vegetables, lol"), I like fruit, but have to make myself eat it, except for watermelon, otherwise most of the time I would rather do without than eat fruit, I am not sure why because I like most of it (especially in a pie, cake, or some other dessert). I am a big bread and sweets eater, it is like an addiction I can't break, so I find that I am counting my WW points and most of them are going toward, low fat sweet things or bread things, that aren't really good for me, but I justifiy it in my mind by saying, I am losing weight--I think my head needs adjusted for sure. Every day I have these big plans for exercise and everyday I am so tired that I just want to sleep really I think it is to keep from eating though! Does anyone else out there use their WW points in such unhealthy ways?

Thanks for the input,
Karen
zandersnannyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 02:56 PM   #2  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

You might be tired because you aren't giving your body the proper nutrition it needs. I have to say that my taste buds have changed quite dramatically over the years. I'm even eating about 60-70% vegetarian meals these days which is something I would've laughed at years ago. I love veggies but I didn't always feel this way. I think once you start feeding your body nutrition and push out the processed junk, your body rewards you with enjoyment of nutritious foods.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 03:00 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

I am a WW. If you look at my signature, you can see how much I've lost. While I lost most using Flex, I've been doing Core for a while now, and like it a lot. When I started WW, I ate more carbs and processed foods, but now I'm into healthier eating. You can eat a lot of junk within your points and still lose weight, but if your goal is better health, more energy, and a fabulous toned body, then I believe that making healthier choices and exercising is a must.

For me, it was having to just decide that it was worth giving up what I wanted in the short term (i.e., sweets, high carbs, etc.) for what I want in the long term--a healthier, fit me. I committed to exercise daily, and while my head tells me all the time that I'd rather sleep in or take a nap, I just do it. I have my workout stuff packed and by the door every morning so I can just get up and go.

You have to choose what works best for you and your lifestyle.
Sheila53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 04:10 PM   #4  
One pound at a time...

I second what Sheila said. You need to find what fits with you and your lifestyle. Unfortunately, it is really a hit and miss until you find out what works for you. You also need to decided what is most important, as Sheila so eloquently wrote, short term pleasure or long term health?
ChocLabLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 01:51 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 303.8/265.2/125

Height: 5'6"

Hey there, I've been doing WW for almost 3 months. It's a really great program, and even though I don't have to to give up a lot of stuff, I choose too. I want to be healthier overall so I try to eat less unprocessed foods. I still have days where I'll have a frozen dinner for lunch and dinner and eat low cal cakes and stuff, but for the most part, I've been eating all my fruits and veggies, and cooking my own meals.

I'm doing points right now, but I'd like to do core in the future because I think that's how I want to live my life in the long run- eating whole foods, with processed foods rarely eaten. I'm on flex learning how to reach that point though. Anyways, I always say the most important thing is to follow the 8 healthy guidelines first and then you can eat the other things within your points. Hope that helps.
philosophygrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 02:14 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 285/263/199 (for now)

Hi Karen, I just attended my first Weight Watchers meeting, and I was surprised by the way their points system doesn't dictate the food group categories -- for a minute, it bothered me, but then I thought maybe this system allows each client to blend the type of diet they like (like the Mediterranean or Atkins or Sonoma or whatever) with the WW support system. So I guess I'll use what I've used successfully in the past (the food pyramid with lots of water and exercise) with the WW program. I'm not a big fan of veggies either, and I'm a total bread fiend, but I lost 60 pounds before and gained lots of tone, and I'm getting back on the wagon, so I'd like to have the group energy I got from today's meeting, but also better eating habits that aren't specifically spelled out by WW.

I think maybe they take it for granted we won't fill up the daily points with scones? Still, it's going to be a real challenge not to design my own high-carb diet based on three meals a day from the Starbucks display case.

~Autumny
Autumny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 08:16 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

I've done old WW plans in the past but am currently counting calories and trying to eat healthy.

I have noticed that as I go through this process over the past year plus that I like fruits and veggies more and more. There are so many benefits of eating them too! So, give yourseld some time and you may be surprised that you start to really like and even crave them sometimes! Though that chocolate craving may still be there too!
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 09:31 AM   #8  
DNR
Determined Woman

Default Me Too

I too have been doing WW points since December of 2005 and it works for me. I also have your same addiction to breads and sweets. I still eat some of these but compared to what I did before I began WW, I have done a complete turnaround. I choose low fat and sugar free a lot of times and still feel like I'm getting what I crave in that area. I also have some days where I eat something that isn't the wisest choice, but I always count it into my points and this is the way I fit it into my lifestyle. I am not a person who could give these things up for the rest of my life. I am also a very active person so I try to find things to keep my mind occupied and before I know it, the day has gone by and I haven't eaten any sweets at all.

I think that it is a constant thought process and you have to decide how you are going to make whatever plan you do fit into your lifestyle.

DNR
DNR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 10:44 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 340/325/175

Height: 5'8"

Thanks for all the thoughts guys you are all so great!
zandersnannyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 01:51 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

Autumny, be sure and read the information on 8 good health guidelines. While on the Flex program, WW doesn't specifically spell out what you should eat, the good health guidelines include recommendations for a diet rich in fruits, vegetables and whole grains, the inclusion of vegetable oils, and moderation of alcoholic beverages. There is also a recommendation for the amount of dairy to consume. If you follow those healthy guidelines, then the chances of eating a lot of junk are limited.

Good luck with the program.
Sheila53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 11:47 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 285/263/199 (for now)

Hi WWers. I looked at my post from yesterday and thought, yikes, I should have added 'just kidding' to my scones and Starbucks line. I know WW encourages healthy eating, even if it doesn't dictate food groups, but I am also grateful to others for support and encouragement to eat right. Thanks, Sheila

This was my first day recording points, and I'm trying to get the hang of it. Food groups and servings is still way easier, but I like how the WW food journal keeps me thinking about what I've eaten and what's in it. Food labels are scary, aren't they? V-8 claims to have a drink that's the same as a serving of fruit and veggies, but it has no fiber, so how can it make that claim? So I ate grapes and a banana today, instead. Less processing. Fewer drinks with calories. More fiber. yay.

~Autumny
Autumny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 01:38 PM   #12  
Linda

Height: 5'0"

Great job Autumny

One down......

Linda
famograham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 02:13 PM   #13  
Nancy

S/C/G: 353/T/168

Height: 5'3"

I'm not on WW so I can't comment there, but I have certainly found that I have been able to adopt new habits much more easily out of choice then forcing myself. For example I have both fresh fruit and skinny cow ice cream available for dessert if I want them. In the beginning I would reach for the skinny cow 9 times out of 10. Now it is about 4 out of 10. I am hoping to get it down to about 1 out of 10, but I can only do that by allowing myself the freedom to make that choice. If I dictate, "you can only have fruit" it makes me rebel against myself and reach for something else – and usually more of it. Every step in the right direction is a good one. For most people, expecting ourselves to completely change everything overnight is unreasonable.

Also, some people just don't like a lot of vegetables, but maybe one thing you should try is giving them a second chance. Maybe set a goal to try one new thing a week. You might find you really like something you didn't know you liked before.
NotTheCheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 02:49 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 247/177.5/130

Height: 5'3"

I count caloires. Eventhough I can have just about anything within reason, restricting calories also restricts food intake. I choose to get "more food for my bang" by eating healthier things. The healthy stuff usually has less calories. I've tried WW but couldn't really get into the point tracking. Its always been easier to do the calorie counting. I can always find nutrition info on everything I eat opposed to trying to work out points. That's just me though. Like everyone else said, its hit or miss. You kind of have to try different things to figure out what works best. Good luck to you!
tolose85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 03:44 PM   #15  
HRH Arabella, Woods Nymph

S/C/G: 256/ticker/165

Height: 5'8

Fly-by: I find that if I get off high glycemic load carbs for a few days this whole thing gets EASY! Not hungry, no cravings and I feel fantastic.

Now to just get those first few days behind me again...
Arabella is offline   Reply With Quote