Old 08-12-2006, 10:10 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 330/265/175

Default Good pants for travel - Canada

I was wondering if anyone had suggestions on where to find some good pants for travelling (i.e. light, somewhat-non-wrinkleable if possible, plain colours - black, brown, navy blue) in Canada (Ottawa, specifically). I'm going travelling for about 2.5 weeks at the end of the summer and I'm just bringing my backpack and I want to keep it light, so I only want to have a couple pairs of pants and perhaps a pair of capris. As a result of losing weight over the past 9 months, I have very few clothes, so I'm practically starting from scratch here...

I was searching the MEC site, but they seem to go up to a size 16 max (b/c bigger people don't hike/travel, I guess? Whatever.). I am about a size 18 pant...I'm not sure where to look. I know (suspect?) that some stores carry up to size 18, but since I can't recall being this size ever...(maybe 10 years ago in high school??), I have no idea what these stores might be. Anyone have an idea? Preferably an affordable place, as I hope to continue dropping sizes, so I don't want to drop an outlandish sum on clothes that I hope to soon not fit into! Losing weight is so expensive!!

Penningtons and Addition-Elle sell pretty much identical clothing lines, but they are never good for sporting-type clothes or light and durable clothes for travelling.

As an aside: I'm beginning to loathe and despise those two stores for their prices and poor clothing options. Some of the things they offer there are awful! I think they're getting worse, but perhaps that's just my recent shopping-frustration speaking. Although those stores have served me decently (b/c truly, what other option have I had???), I am now dreaming/anticipating/anxiously awaiting the day I do not have to set foot in them again (also fearing that day, because how on earth will I shop with hundreds of stores available to me instead of two? Where do thin people start? I am going to be overwhelmed, I'm sure.). Unfortunately, thanks to my mushroom/muffin-shaped body I'm still about a size 22 top so I have a bit to go yet. (Below the belly button/at my waist I am 18, above the belly button I am 22 - and yes, it is an instantaneous transition between the two sizes on my body - it's awful - you know that roll that you get if you where pants that are too tight at the waist? That is a permanent feature of my body, even when I'm naked. I long for the day that I can look good in a shirt!! ).

Anyway, this has turned into the longest post about searching for pants. if anyone has a suggestion, I'd greatly appreciate it - otherwise, I'll keep wandering around on weekends, hoping to somehow find a pant that will work!

Cheers, Lekker
Lekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 02:59 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 201/198.6/140

Height: 5'4"

Perhaps Old Navy? They carry up to size 20, although I find their sizes fit a bit small. When I was a 20 at Addition-Elle I couldn't fit into the Old Navy stuff. Perhaps it would work for you though? They have a lot of variety. I hear you on Addition-Elle and Pennington's...I like Addition-Elle for some stuff but their prices are crazy. I'm finding I really like Reitman's, even though I have to go to the back of the store to the Encore section - they have nice jeans at affordable prices. They have nice tops too a lot of the time. Of course the selection isn't as wide as the rest of the store! Good luck - and have fun on your travels!!
sept15lija is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 11:21 PM   #3  
Long Time Member

Height: 5'6

I get this catalog all the time (and I never go anywhere) but they have plus sizes and the stuff is made for just your purpose. But the prices are pretty steep. Anyway, try here... http://www.travelsmith.com/ts/home.j...=Google+Search
Sandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 12:57 AM   #4  
One life, live it well

S/C/G: 304|ticker|160

Height: 5'6½

I have a skirt from the Citiknits collection from QVC. I love it. It doesn't wrinkle...at all!

Go to http://www.qvc.com/asp/frameset.asp?...THEAD-_-WOMENS and then on the left side you can see "Brand Shops". Check out Citiknits.
Nori71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 02:39 PM   #5  
Beauty, Brawn and Brains!

S/C/G: 298(O)/268.2(RS)/247.9.0/175.0

Height: 5'9''

www.junonia.com has nice travel pants.
Goddess Jessica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 03:08 PM   #6  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

WalMart carried George, B.U.M. and Basics pants at decent prices and generous sizes. Give them a try.
Ruthxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 08:13 AM   #7  
One pound at a time...

Mark's Work Warehouse also carries plus sizes as well.
ChocLabLover is offline   Reply With Quote