Red face It pays to read the bottle....

Boy do I feel stupid.

I take a few supplements every morning.

Multivitamin
Glucosamine and chondroitin
baby aspirin
Zinc

and I take Fibercon.

Now, I work to get enough fiber, but I thought better safe than sorry and for guys - fiber and the lack there of and links to prostate cancer - so I thought, what the heck.

So, I have been doing this for 2 years. I would eat breakfast then take these supplements.

LOL well, today I am taking all of this and I happen to read the fibercon label. Warning, do not take this within 2 hours of other medicines. All bulk forming laxatives interfere with the absorption of other drugs. Well duh - had I thought about how those work that would have been obvious. They absorb water to build bulk as does natural fiber. If you take that with any other supplements or medicine, then it is going to get absorbed into the fiber and passed out of the body.

So - word to the wise - read the labels

and if you take fiber, take it at night and your other pills in the morning.

LOL man, I feel dumb.

I hope everyone is having a great day.

I wish you all the best!

Charles78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 11:31 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

Charles -- ouch! The is in the details, huh? I think we've all done things like this! What gets me is when I do things for my health and then realize that I'm still screwing them up!
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 10:17 PM   #3  

Charles--Another little thing about the Fibercon is that you really need to drink a ton of water. What a nurse friend of mine told me is that when you take the fibercon without an adequate amount of WATER the fiber acutually soaks up all of the liquid in your stomach. Well obviously when that happens you are back to square one or worse. Also certain kinds of juice will also interfere with meds. Good Luck. Seems like when trying to do good we are actually doing more harm. Here is a great website if you are interested in doing a colon cleanse. <--linkosuction--> From reading the information it seems like everyone could stand a good cleaning. WARNING--this site is kinda gross but I think it kind of a reality check.
kimpo101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 09:29 AM   #4  
it's always something

Kimpo, I highly recommend avoiding the colon cleanse route. Unless someone has a special condition and their doctor recommends it as part of a supervised medical treatment, then it should be avoided. Colon cleanses, as well as the scare tactics they use to promote them, are the latest consumer scam. Scammers get us from all ends
Suzanne 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 11:13 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 240/ticker/120

Height: 5 foot 4

I take sugar free Fiber Choice Chewable Tablets. I don't see a warning on the bottle. It also states no water required! I always take them with lots and lots of water. I may have taken them with my supplements at times. I do make sure to take these everyday. But I use them in a different way. Say I'm really hungry (head hungry) and I know that I shouldn't eat I take these to make me fill "full".
mezmerize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 11:14 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 240/ticker/120

Height: 5 foot 4

1 tablet = 2 grams of fiber.
mezmerize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 03:48 PM   #7  
Winning by Losing

S/C/G: 263/208/150

Height: 5'8"

I don't colon cleanse, but I do a full body cleanse which addresses the colon as well. Greatest thing I've ever done for myself. I feel great! I don't see detoxing your body as a scam by any means.

Anyway, most people don't seem to get enough fiber in their diet. I started to add some supplemental fiber which has 4 g in 1.5 tsp in my shakes recently. Plus, I'm getting some yummy cookies that have 9 g of fiber in it with flax seed and all that good for you stuff. Definitely a tastier way to get your fiber lol. I figure one of those a day with my supplemental fiber and whatever fiber I eat throughout the day, I should be good to go!

I've heard about the water and fiber thing too. Like the fiber I'm using you have to take it with at least 8 ounces of water. Fiber from what I understand absorbs water, so you definitely want to make sure you get enough of that.
karistiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 10:13 PM   #8  

karistiana,
Where are you getting the full body cleanse? Another thing you can also do a parasite cleanse. Sounds gross but to my understanding everyone has some type of parasite living inside us and sapping everything they can from us. I think that it recomends doing this roughly once a year after the first initial cleanse. I keep wavering on the colon and the parasite cleanse. I think to myself that if I have any of these things inside me do I really want to know but on the other hand I really dont want it inside me. LOL kimberly
kimpo101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 11:29 PM   #9  

Wow, if we all have parasites in us sapping everything from us why don't we all die from that?
Old 07-18-2006, 12:09 AM   #10  
Slow and Steady

Thank you Charles for the warning. I never would have thought of that if not for your post.
Quirky1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 12:19 AM   #11  

Yeah, I realized that after taking the second dose one time that fiber and meds don't mix. Yet, I think taking one is actually very good esp. for those of us that find that when going down to the calorie range we need to be at to actually lose some weight. It can help u from raiding the fridge due to starvation esp. in the beginning of changing ur eating habits. I don't take one anymore but do each a low cal, low sugar, high fiber cereal to get that effect. Taking it by supplementation is still good but you wanna get some, some from your food when starting off. Just don't overdue it, remember u gotta eat food, and u gotta learn food control, not food avoidance.
tobetheman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 08:20 AM   #12  
Winning by Losing

Kimberly ... there are links for more information about the cleansing system on my blog. The program consists of more than just cleansing ... goes into nutrition and overall health as well, and this is actually what I've been doing to lose weight even though it's not actually a weight loss program. Just works really well for those who do need to lose weight.

Anyway, I'm tired and rambly. If you have any questions, feel free to PM or email me.

Oh and yes, if you have any residents that need to be evicted, it should take care of that too. It's a gentle cleanse, but very effective!
Old 07-18-2006, 08:50 AM   #13  

Re fiber: It is possible to get plenty of fiber just by making changes in your diet. I ran my nutridiary report, and over the past 10 weeks, I averaged 33 grams of fiber per day (low of 12 and high of 52 grams, 6 days were under 22 grams).

Change from white to wheat breads, white to brown rice, white to some multigrain pasta. Eat fruit! Or high fiber cereal. I do still eat some white breads etc, but eased into these changes over time. It was not something I could do overnight.
Old 07-18-2006, 09:42 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 562.3/404/195

Height: 6'3"

I have noticed over the few years of my fitness journey that some topics inflame a lot of passion. Sex, Religion, Cleansing...

I have read the information about these and as a scientist, I find that I just do not believe what they claim about accumulated toxins etc. That is just me. However, I am a big believer in - if something works for you and it is not harmful - by all means - go for it.

Don't be fooled for a moment, weight loss, fitness and health are huge money making industries. While a lot of supplements and "miracle" pills and powders exist - I think for the most part the succeed in making you "lighter" by taking your money and putting it into someone else's' pocket.

I encourage everyone to actively search for information, check the source and look for items that debunk what seems too good to be true. Then, make up your own mind. If after you have read the pros's and con's and still want to give something a try - at least you are making an informed choice.

I wish you all the very best!
Charles78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 07:09 PM   #15  
Winning by Losing

I agree in researching anything before getting started especially when it has to do with your health (and finances lol). It took me 6 months to get started doing what I'm doing now, and I'm glad I finally did it. I certainly feel a lot better than I did before. The focus is on nutrition, cleansing, and a lifestyle change. This is no magic pill or anything. I don't believe there is a such thing. I know it works for me and many others, but it's not for everyone.

I never realized before that I didn't get enough fiber before I'd say about 8 or so months ago. Never gave fiber any thought, but I've learned a lot here recently. I'm working on the fiber and the water intake. I've already done a lot better in the nutrition dept lol.