Question...Although I think I know the answer

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • I started in late May, and in my first week lost 4 lbs. Since that first week I've only lost 2-4 lbs. I don't count calories, but here's my typical day.

breakfast: 1 slice peanut butter toast, glass of milk and piece of fruit
    lunch: peanut butter sandwich with veggie
    dinner: peanut butter sandwich or small balanced meal

Occasionally I'll snack more during the day putting in more fruits and veggies for snacks. And I tend to drink no less than 64 oz water a day. My question is what would you suggest for me to actually be losing some weight each week. It's fustrating cause I'm exercising regularly getting in cardio and some weights. I'm thinking I'm probably not getting enough calories in each day and my body is hoarding what I am getting, but I don't feel like I'm depriving myself. I'd love any opinions yall could share on this one. Thanks!
  • Switch to lowfat, low sugar peanut butter & are you getting any fiber? You say sandwiches, but don't mention the bread. They say 25g of fiber per day & most of us don't get half that. So maybe a higher fiber bread & snacks?

Good luck!
  • honestly?!! maybe cut out the peanut butter and bread for a week and see how that goes? maybe porridge or bran or fruit for breakfast, a prawn or chicken salad (no dressings!!) or a jacket, and fish or chicken and loads of veg for tea? I have lots of stir fries but use little if any oil, loads of veg and make a low fat sauce. I had a bit of an issue with the old peanut butter where in the end i was eating spoonfuls out of the jar and having it on anything - i threw a half full jar in the bin in the end cos I culdn't stop eating it!!!

hope this helps?
    xx
  • Less peanut butter (so much fat! and unless it's natural, you're eating hydrogenated fat), less bread, more fruits and veggies and lean protein. How about egg whites, fish, lean meats, poultry? You'll get a lot more food per day, too.
  • Wow! There's someone who likes her PB! I'm a recent convert to natural PB, but I can't take much more than a tblsp. at a time. I find it a great addition to my day because it's very filling for such a small amount. Nevertheless, I'd suggest swapping some of that for lean protein, and perhaps adding more veggies.
  • Heh, guess I should've read all the responses first!
  • I agree with less peanut butter but I personally could not eliminate it altogether. My standard breakfast is 1/2 of a 7 grain bagel, 1 tbsp (OK, I rarely measure but I've been checking myself more on this lately) Kroger Crunchy all natural peanut butter (just peanuts and salt) and a large can of V-8. Peanut butter is high in fat but in moderation it's a cheap, tasty, quick and easy source of protein.

Good luck with finding what works for you!
  • Thanks everyone! Peanut butter is just so easy cause I'm a busy girl running almost non stop. I'll use your suggestions and see how it works
  • What everyone else suggested are great thoughts, I agree less peanut butter and more fruits and veggies would probably be beneficial, but you might also be right that you are not getting in enough calories in a day. Maybe try counting calories for a few days and seeing where you come in at. I have no idea how much peanut butter you are putting on your bread and what kind of bread you are using or whether you are putting anything other than peanut butter on your bread (ie butter, jelly, etc), but peanut butter is so high in calories that it could be a big difference in your caloric intake in a day depending on how much you are putting your bread each time. I eat peanut butter once in awhile, I do measure it, and I use the light orowheat bread and sugar free jelly if I am making a sandwich. Hope you find what helps, just keep it up and you'll lose. Hang in there!
  • Well, really, you dont have to cut out peanut butter, just have less, and don't get lowfat. Yes, its high in fat, but if you get the natural kind, its good fat. You need good fats. Even if you dont have the natural, there's still good fat in it, because its from nuts.

Personally, i eat peanut butter about every day. I dont bother with the natural kind, even though i know i should. But, i guess it doesnt matter to me that much. i suspect its too expensive for me anyway.
  • I'm not in the 100club but i don't think you are eating much over 1000cal/day.That isn't enough.
  • Cardsfan -
    I haven't compared prices, but I doubt the natural peanut butter is much if any more expensive than the "regular" kind. I buy a store brand (Kroger) - nothing fancy. It does take some getting used to, though, because the oil rises to the top and you have to mix it all together, which can get messy. If you refrigerate it after that, it stays mixed. I've tried lots of kinds of the natural PB and actually prefer the Kroger brand over what I can get at, say, Whole Foods.

BTW, I saw your Cards beat our Astros here this past Sat.! Not fun for us!
  • I agree that for just a few days or 1 week you might want to consider counting your calories (and don't forget the drinks as well as the food, they can really add up). That doesn't mean that you have to become a calorie counter, and you don't have to continue with it forever, but a small period where you are really monitoring exactly what you are "putting in" over the course of your typical day can really give you a lot of insight to help you find a balanced dietary regime.

You could think of it as a nutritional check-up.

And I agree that less pb might be in order. Not because pb is bad, but because I really believe that it is important to eat as wide a variety of foods as possible.
  • I think you have already answered your own question, but I guess the follow up question is, what can you shift TO?

You're running nonstop, but that doesn't mean you can't be healthy. It just involves some planning up front.

I pack a lunch everyday in an insulated bag. I have the option to heat up food, so sometimes lunch is leftovers, some times sandwiches. I bring yogurt or cottage cheese, fruit and veggies to snack on, etc.

Or cut up salad ingredients on the weekend to use during the week... Cook extra chicken also on the weekend to eat during the week...

I don't think you have to give up the pb complethely -- there are good fats there. But in addition to being high in calories and fat, you may also get bored with it over time, and that may just lead to quitting the program...

Thinhk about being busy as a challenge and figure out how to meet it!
  • Quote:
    BTW, I saw your Cards beat our Astros here this past Sat.! Not fun for us!
    All I can say is . Y'all gave a good fight though, I was on the edge of my seat, biting my nails. lol I think that was the very last game that I was all stressed over....lol