Old 06-27-2006, 02:59 PM   #1  

Default Help!! I'm pregnant and overweight!

I just found out that I am pregnant. I am very much overweight and have just started losing weight and exercising on an almost daily basis. From the few things that I have read, you shouldn't diet while pregnant. What is everyone else's experiences? The last time I got pregnant, which was over 12 years ago, I weighed 200 pounds. With that pregnancy I gained a ton of weight and had a few problems towards the end. I'm starting out a lot heavier and I'm scared that I may have a lot of problems again. Not even very happy about being pregnant since this has come as a complete surprise. If anyone can give me any advice till I can go to a doctor I would appreciate it.
suzieqhoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 03:04 PM   #2  

I was around 300 when I got pregnant a year and a half ago. I ate healthy, just increased my calories by about 300 per day. If you have been exercising, most doctors will say to continue exercising as long as you aren't doing anything that would harm the baby. I walked on the treadmill throughout my pregnancy until 2 days before I had him. Good luck with your pregnancy!
Inca's Momma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 03:35 PM   #3  

Thanks for the reply. That is what I had planned on doing anyway. I want to continue and try to be as healthy as possible.
Old 06-27-2006, 04:19 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 238/238/150

Height: 5'3

CONGRATULATIONS!
IMO as long as your eating healthy and staying active you probally won't gain a lot of weight. I have heard of some ladies staying the same or even a pound or two before successful deliveries and healthy babies. In my last pregnancy I was 194 and gained 7 pounds the whole pregnancy.
natascharenee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 04:41 PM   #5  
Diva under construction..

S/C/G: 262/212/175

Height: 5'7"

I was 242lbs when DS #2 was concieved. My heaviest by far. I was buggin!! The Dr's told me that seriously overweight patients are not encouraged to gain more than 25 lbs. Its 35 lbs for those not of size. I was so sick in the 1st trimester I lost 12lbs. There was no fear though according to my Dr. Eventually I started gaining in the later part of my 2nd trimester ending at a whopping 270lbs. But it was only 28lbs total. 15 of which where gone before I left the hospital. I gained 7 lbs breastfeeding and the rest is history. I walked at least a mile everyday up until my last month. CONGRATULATIONS!!!
Stevi-rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 06:06 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 344/279.1/???

Height: 5'6"

Congratulations!!! As long as you are eating healthy (not severely restricting your calories) you shoudl do well. you might like to join us over at the pregnant/nursing forum.

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=173
barbygirl43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 10:35 PM   #7  

I was overweight with all 3 of my pregnancies, my oldest son who is 15 now I was 263 when I got pregnant and I gained 23 pounds total with him, my daughter who is 8 I was 240 when I got pregnant with her and I gained about 20 pounds total, and my youngest son who is 5 I was 283 pounds when I got pregnant with him and I did not gain any weight during my pregnancy with him. I weighed less after he was born than when I got pregnant because I was retaining so much water towards the end of my pregnancy but had not gained any weight. All of my pregnancies were healthy, all of my children were born healthy, my oldest was 8lbs 7oz at birth, my middle one was 9lbs 1oz, and my youngest was 9lbs even. Just eat healthy and keep moving.
MelodyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 11:30 PM   #8  
Future marathon runner

S/C/G: 310/185/Where my body takes me

Height: 5'8"

I am very overweight and pregnant too. I had always planned to lose the weight, then get pregnant again (and be thin-preggo) but the opposite happened. I got pregnant with #2 when I was at my highest weight. I was 255 when I got pregnant with my daughter and gained 17 lbs (she weighed almost 10 lbs). I was 290 when I got pregnant this time, and my dr said she was okay with me maintaining my weight then entire pregnancy, which is like a slow loss. I lost 3 lbs between my 9 week and 13 week checkups, and plan to just do lots of walking and healthy eating, especially so I feel better towards the end of my pregnancy.
Raelynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 12:48 AM   #9  
One life, live it well

S/C/G: 304|ticker|160

Height: 5'6½

First off, CONGRATULATIONS on your suprise!

I didn't "diet" during my pregnancies. I ate balanced (for some reason that's easier for me when I'm pg?) and exercised all the way through. My doc told me to up my calories by 300 in the second trimester. And that those calories should come from lean protein. Not ice cream!!! Anyways, first pg I started at 229, gained 15 pounds by delivery and with my 2nd pg I gained 18 pounds and delivered at 258. By 2 weeks post-partum I was down to pro-pregnancy weight. Exercising during each pregnancy really helped with me physically and emotionally. It was the post-partum depression after this last pg that really messed with me and my weight. Oh, well...

Good luck in your pregnancy! Wishing you a happy and healthy 9 months!! You'll do fine as long as you are conscious about being healthy.
Nori71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 01:55 AM   #10  
Black Belt In Training

S/C/G: 289/243/160

Height: 5' 7"

With my last baby, I started out at 279 ish. My doctor said it was fine if I didn't gain anyweight and just maintained. Said that at my weight everything would still be fine, as long as I was eating high quality nutritious food, even if I lost some weight.
I was 282 or so when I had Ewan and he was 10 lb 1oz.
So, I'm pretty much agreeing with what everyone else has been saying.
(and Congratulations! All three of mine were suprises and I think that makes it even more special. if that makes sense. )
taekwondomom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 08:36 AM   #11  
1/2 Marathon May 15 2011

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'0"

Welcome! I was very overweight with my 2 babies. Eat healthy foods, drink lots of water, walk when you can, and get lots of sleep.

AND KEEP COMING TO THIS FORUM I posted here almost daily durning my last pregnancy and it made ALL the difference. I didn't let my pregnancy become an excuse to eat ALL the chocolate

Congrats on the pregnancy.
Charbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 01:17 PM   #12  

Thank ya'll so much for the encouraging posts. With my first pregnancy I weighed 200lbs and gained nearly 80lbs. Of course, I lost some of the weight but proceeded to gain more. I finally started my new lifestyle of getting healthy and fit and WHAM!! I'm pregnant. I honestly didn't think I could get pregnant again, been trying for about 6 years now and I had given up all hope. Just really scared of gaining a lot of weight again. I do go to the gym everyday to walk and sometimes swim. Last night I went and started to get really nauseated so i didn't get to walk as much as I would have liked. My other scare is getting gestational diabetes again. That was one of the worst things that could happen to a person. I had to take 3 shots a day and on top of that I was on bed rest for about 6-7 weeks. So I keep thinking the same thing is going to happen this time and I don't want to have the same problems. I am following weight watchers right now, which is working really well for me. I don't want to stop going cause i know that i will stop eating healthy. But again, thanks so much for the encouragment. I can really use it.
Old 06-28-2006, 05:01 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 344/279.1/???

My first PG I weighed 292 when I got preggers and only gained about 15 pounds. My 2nd PG, I was 317 when I got pg and delivered at 304. This one I was 285 (naked at home) and am up to 296 (fully clothed with shoes on--I think they have me starting out at 290 at the doc's office though). It's possible for you to not gain a whole lot of weight this time and possibly even lose a few pounds.

I do have the gest. diabetes and give myself 4 shots a day. I had it last PG too and neither time has it been too bad. I have a great doc and a superb diabetic consultant and I think that makes a big difference. Yes I hate the monthly pee in a jug to check my creatinine levels, the 4x a day shots, the numerous sticks to my fingers daily, but I do get extra u/s scans and it seems like more care than your regular PG.

As for the exercise, just try and do what you can and don't get too discouraged if you are just too tired. Aphil over at the PG/nursing forum is still belly dancing I believe and is 30 weeks.
barbygirl43 is offline   Reply With Quote