Proud of not turning to food in time of stress.

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • Hi all I've done well with the eating today which says a lot. It's been a stressful day. I found out today that I am losing my job. It should not be for another 11 months but could be as short as 6 months. At least I have some time to find a new job. I'm hoping I can find something before I have to go on unemployment.

Anyway I'm proud of myself for not turning to food when being stressed out. I am on vacation this week and they called me to come into work. I have seen this scenario with past layoffs so I knew what was coming. Kimberley told me not to stop and eat because of stress and it felt good to tell her I am not that person anymore. I was hungry and ate a spinach and cheese wrap before I left and have finished the day at 90 calories under my normal 1800 calories.
  • For doing good despite stress. And for you and Kimberley for having to deal with a sucky situation.

I am sure all things will work together for good, and you'll have job lined up, but it still makes for a stressful time.

Have you thought about a career change??? You would make a fantastic motivator and speaker, or do you have patient advocates/counsellors in your hospitals, you would be so great at that!!
  • Yes I have been thinking of a career change I'm just not sure what at this point. Those are good ideas though thanks.
  • Way to go Howie ~ not turning to food in a time of stress. I'm sorry about the job thing ~ everything will work out.
  • Good for you for being strong. Sorry to hear about the job loss. At least you have a little time to prepare and to look at your options. Good luck. We're pulling for you.
  • I'm proud of you Howie...you and Kimberley are both great inspirations to me!!
  • Seriously, Howie, you could write a book. Find a writer to help you pitch a nonfiction proposal. You have a great platform with your weightloss history...there is a lot of $$$ to be made in "diet books".
  • Howie congrats on not eating when you are stressed (my biggest demon). I wish you the best on the job front.
  • It's so important to share these victories!!!

Good luck Howie! Hopefully, knowing ahead of time will help. My husband got laid off back in April, and neither of us turned to food -- big step for me. He actually lost some extra weight I think because of the stress! (Things are good now, tho, he has a new job!)
  • I was really struck when he replied, "I am not that person anymore".
  • Wow, that's my biggest demon...Emotional eating. I was totaly impressed by your journey and now, you got a handle on emotional eating. That's even more motivation for me...Thank You.

I agree with the others before me saying that you would be good as a motivator for weight lost. Hope the job front will resolve itself quickly for you.
  • Howie I'm so proud of you

I think that this is God's (or whomever one chooses) to open new doors for you. You've got unlimited potential....dream BIG, and follow your heart, anything can happen!

Linda
  • Howie That is so great that you are so strong now to turn away from food in a stressful situation. Maybe this job change is just meant to be, and who knows, there may be a different job out there that was meant for you to begin with. Good luck and hold your head up high!
  • great going on overcoming stress eating and good luck with your job search.
  • Sorry to here about your job, but wow that is great that you didn't turn to food in your time of stress. That's definitely a huge accomplishment!