No Progress! Help!

• Hello everyone! I've been missing for about a week now. My computer crashed, and with all of my job interviews(), I've only just gotten around to fixing it. I've really missed my daily check-in. You're all so supportive. Going this alone is miserable.

That being said, I could really use some advice. A few weeks ago, I "magically" gained five pounds overnight, and for the life of me, I cannot shake them. I've been sticking to plan and exercising like I'm training for the Olympics, but these five magical pounds will not leave. As soon as I get the scale close to the 250 mark that I was SO proud to reach, it shoots back up to 253-255. I'm really at a loss . . .

I'm eating an average of 1300 calories with the bulk of that being protein. I drink at least 120 oz of water a day. I've been doing an hour of cardio and 20 minutes of weight training daily. I throw in an hour of yoga on the weekends. I'm as close to a saint as I've ever been, and I'm starting to get really frustrated. If I keep doing all of this work for much longer without any progress, I think I may crack. Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated.
  • Eat more. Sounds counter-intuitive, but it worked for me. I broke a 12 week plateau by increasing calories from 1400 to around 1800. Good luck! Plateaus are the WORST! Definitely do not give up - eating better and exercising are fabulous for your health, no matter what the dumb scale says.
  • I totally ditto Glory87. Go up on your calories, making sure that it's good, wholesome food, and I think you will see a reduction. I think 1300 is just too low for you right now, especially with the exercise that you have been exerting. And speaking of exercise, make sure that you are not weight training the same muscle groups daily - your muscles need at least 24 hrs to recover and repair!!
  • I would have to agree with the above advice. More calories may help you out here. You can also try varying your calories. One day do 1400 the next day do 1600. Keep at it and it will come off. Don't let this get you down, you can do it.
  • I agree, I'm about your weight and the recommendations for my weight are to eat between 1700 - 1800 calories per day to lose weight. You'll eventually move down to 1300, but that's too low right now.

Keep going. Don't let this get you down, you can do it.
  • You have gotten some good advice. My only other thought is have you taken a rest day lately? You might want to take a day or two off of exercise and see if helps.
  • I would recommend shaking up your routine a bit to get you out of your plateau. Eat a little more, but still watch your calories. I'd recommend going as much as 2000 calories for just one day, then go back to 1500. Maybe shake up your exercise a bit. Have you been doing the same type of cardio? Try switching? Do you do intervals when you do your cardio? Are you making sure you are giving your muscle groups rest after weight training? (not working same muscle at least 2-3 days after working it previously) Maybe try alternating weights and cardio on different days?
  • I wanted to thank you all for your advice. I apologize for not responding. Lots of upheaval in my life at the moment. I've increased my calorie intake to 1500. I find it very difficult to make it any higher than that without reverting to my old model for food. (I'm half convinced that I put on most of my weight through condiments and soda.) I do make sure to alternate muscle groups when weightlifting. I have two types of cardio in my routine at the moment. I plan on adding a third as soon as things settle down.

I don't want to take a break from cardio, though. I love my cardio. It makes me feel incredible.
  • Raising calories healthily should be fairly easy since some of the most nutritious foods are high in calories - like olive oil, nuts and avocado.

Eating a handful of nuts everyday will give you a 200 calorie boost and potentially lower your risk of heart disease.

"Adjusting for other coronary heart disease risk factors, they linked the intake of five or more servings (five ounces) of nuts per week to a 35-50 percent reduction in risk of coronary heart disease incidence and death"
  • It sounds like you need more calories. If you don't eat enough, your body thinks its starving and your metabolism slows down. Try adding a little bit more food. The average woman needs 1800-2000 calories a day. Why should an overweight person be any different? Besides, to maintain a weight of 250 and not exercise you can eat around 3500 calories a day. I've been eating 2000 +/-, not exercing like I should be and losing weight. You can do it! Don't be afraid to eat something or take a break from exercise for a day here and there. Keep on keepin' on!