After the plateau is broken...

• These last two months I've lost 2 pounds. It'd normally be 7-12. I have some idea why - my pill is messing with my body.

Anyway I've worked out with my calorie intake, assuming I burn between 1800-2000 calories a day (so a conservative estimate) my body owes me 7-11 pounds!

I know things don't work so mathematically but my question to those of you who have weathered plateau's is: When they end do you get a woosh of weight loss or do you just start losing at your previous rate again?
  • I went though a 6 week plateau from March to April. Then in one week I finally went down 1 pound, and I was happy for the new low. The next week I went down another pound during the week, then 6 pounds during that weekend (3 on Saturday, 3 on Sunday). I've done similar (6 pounds over 2 days) once since then, and just this week went down 3 pounds in 2 days.

Before the plateau I had been a very steady 2 - 3 pound per week loser spread throughout the week. Now my weight seems to hold steady and then make weird quick drops. I haven't really made huge changes in my plan, except that as I've gotten lighter (and my knees can take it) I've been walking a lot more than I used to.

My average loss per week before the plateau was 2.7 lbs, after was 2.3 pounds, and now is 2.6 pounds, so I'm now at almost exactly where I would have been with a steady loss and no plateau. Bodies are kwaaazy!
  • Thanks Andoreth, that does help. I am getting so frustrated I wanted to hear about the light at the end of the tunnel because at the moment its pretty dark in here!
  • Actually, I found the "after-the-plateau" to be more stressful than the plateau! I was on one for like 4 weeks, but kept saying to myself, "This is just a plateau. Lots of people have them. You said that even if you never lost another pound, this is the way you want to eat for your whole life." And I exercised and journaled my food, and I was okay.

Then I lost like 4 lbs in a day. Then a pound the next day, and another the next. And I completely freaked. And ate donuts.

Then I gave the donuts away (put'em in the kitchen), confessed on the #00 lbs list, and resumed my normal eating.

I'm back to my usual 1 - 2 lbs a day (it's **** being old).

Sue
  • Today I've finally dropped another pound! phew!

Am waiting for that woosh!

Kristasmom - I know what you mean though. Before this plateau I dropped 9 pounds a month for 2 months. It was a bit freaky! And probably why its slowed down now!

And you are not old! You might well be younger than me!