Old 04-12-2006, 02:38 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

Default Weekly Chit Chat (Apr. 10 - Apr. 16)

I'm starting this because I'm frustrated and need to vent. I've spent what seems like hours on the phone with MetLife calling about my Dad's pension check. It's kind of my own fault because I cannot find the little notebook that has the correct number I found in February after doing some detective work because my Dad, who has dementia (which is another major frustration in itself!), hadn't a clue as to where his pension came from.

So I called the 1-800-Metlife number, talked to a person who gave me another number, talked to a person who gave me another number, talked to a person who gave me another number (am I up to five numbers yet because that's how many I called and each had their own automated voice stuff where I had to press numbers and enter numbers--sheesh!). While on hold talking with a wonderful person named Ebony (I love that name!), I found a fax I'd sent to an employee so when Ebony got back on the line I was able to give her the fax number and employee name. Well, wouldn't you know that she found a listing for the employee, but there wasn't a phone number attached. How can that be? In the end, Ebony promised to call me back with the employee's phone number or have the employee contact me, although I'm suspicious because I've heard that before.

On the plus side, I'm not going to eat over this stress. In fact, I feel like going out and running around the block a few times. Not going to do that either, though, because my knee hurts from running yesterday. Maybe I'll do some crunches. Nothing relieves stress like doing crunches, right?

At least the day is sunny and my tulips look awesome. . .how is it in everyone else's little corner of the world?
Sheila53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 02:52 PM   #2  
Downsizing Dee!

Sheila, I hear your frustration about being able to reach the appropriate and "live" person on the phone. I would guess you could substitute just about any major company's name and end up with the same type of story. It's one of my greatest pet peeves.

My little corner of the world is starting to warm up quite nicely. Spring is definately here. I posted on last week's chit chat thread that I was going to start the spring cleaning. I started over the weekend and I got about 1/2 way through. Piles and piles of too big clothes off to good will. Bye bye plus sizes forever. I managed to get in all of the shopping I needed to do for our cruise and I'm happy to say that I did buy one pair of pants in a size 8. OMG, I couldn't believe it. (they were a stretch material, but still a size 8).

What's everyone else up to?

~Dee
newfiedarling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 04:31 PM   #3  
A 6'1" Amazon and Proud!!

I am struggling to keep up for work. We are having a big meeting in the next two weeks and I have to get everything ready for it. So i'll be out of town and I am preparing myself mentally for all that eating out.

School is winding down for the semester - only two more weeks and two more papers to finish. Whew! Then I have 3 credits in the summer, I do my thesis in the fall, and I will be done with my MA! I am definitely taking a yr or two off before trying for my PhD - I am hella tired!!

Otherwise, things are good - boyfriend's good, cats are good, rugby is good.

Dee, I am going on a cruise, too! In December, to celebrate my graduation. I can't wait to go shopping for it. I am in 18s now, so hopefully I will be in at least 12s if not 10s by then. (10 is my goal since I am 6'1")
suzisonthemovetolose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 04:50 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 273/260.1/163

Height: 5'7"

All this talk of cruises has me jealous! And shopping for smaller clothes would be nice too

Dee - wow, a size 8?? Great job!! Thats a single digit number... I bet you are completely thrilled!!

Sheila - ah yes, there is nothing quite like those automated voices... except the ones who ask you questions.. those drive me completely insane. You are dealing with it wonderfully.

I'm having a bad day. I feel like I've wasted my time in the past 26 days, I've lost 4 pounds that I know of (I had no scale for most of this time), and I just don't feel ready to go back yet. I'm pretty darn lonely, I get very little human contact, my brother is busy with work, busy with his new gf.. sometimes the 3 of us hang out together.. and I feel more alone with them than I do alone. I've tried to talk to my brother about it, but it's a hard thing to talk about. I'm just venting. I just expected more from myself and this experience, talk about high expectations!

I'm going to take a note from Sheila and go for my run instead of eating anything bad.

-Aimee
SwimGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 04:53 PM   #5  

I love to crusie! newfiedarling where is your cruise to? When?
suzisonthemovetolose where is your cruise to?
I am going on a cruise in September to Haiti, Jamaica, Grand Cayman and Cozumel. I have lost 46 pounds and want to lose another 20 by then because I am going to climb the rock wall that is on the Navigator of the Seas.
My weight loss journey is always on my mind, trying to get my exercise in and stay within my calorie range. I am not doing very well on the later though.
I have been busy substitute teacher and when I don't do that I travel. Sunday I leave for Laughlin Nevada.
Spring has sprung here in Oklahoma it was close to 90 today. It's time to think about getting the pool open and mowing the lawn. Neither of which I like to do.
jmacway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 12:01 PM   #6  
Downsizing Dee!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmacway
I love to crusie! newfiedarling where is your cruise to? When?
We're leaving on the 29th and returning on the 6th. We leave out of Miami and the ports are Haiti, Porto Rico, Bahamas, St. Thomas (USVI).

~Dee
Old 04-13-2006, 12:36 PM   #7  

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfiedarling
We're leaving on the 29th and returning on the 6th. We leave out of Miami and the ports are Haiti, Porto Rico, Bahamas, St. Thomas (USVI).

~Dee
Have a wonderful time!! I hope you get to explore Miami some. There's lots to do right around Bayside Park. I want to hear about Haiti when you get back. San Juan was fun,we did a walking tour there. Nassau was the prettiest port I have ever sailed into. Also watch the Atlantis rise out of the ocean. I learned to snorkle in St Thomas and checked out a Lutheran Chruch build in 1866. I am really excited for you. I wish I didn't have to wait 5 months
Old 04-13-2006, 12:52 PM   #8  
Downsizing Dee!

Joyce, your enthusiasm is certainly spilling over on me! You've gotten me even more excited than I was. I've just printed your post and I'll be taking it with me. Thanks for all the info!!

~Dee
Old 04-13-2006, 01:01 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 344/279.1/???

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmacway
Spring has sprung here in Oklahoma it was close to 90 today. It's time to think about getting the pool open and mowing the lawn. Neither of which I like to do.
You aren't kidding. I had my doc appts. yesterday and no AC in my car. It was horrible. I had all 4 windows down and my hair wasn't in a pony tail. Jeff found the ac compressor for my car but we have to get the old one off to exchange. I told him I didn't care if it cost me my entire paycheck on Friday that we were getting it done. It's April and I can't imagine June, July and August with no AC and 2 kids in the back. I do like the warmer weather though.

Well they are supposed to be out today to fix all the problems with the house. (We had 14 and I put notes on everything that needed to be fixed). They are also supposed to replace the carpet in the living room because of that hammer stain but it would take 2-3 additional weeks and if they get the final inspection in the next week or so we don't want to wait plus I looked last night and that carpet is pretty much attached from one bedroom to the living room to our bedroom and I really don't want to have more seams in it than necessary. I'll tell the grant writer we decided not to get new carpet in a bit when I give her a call.

The pregnancy is going well. I had my appt. yesterday and other than a nice bladder infection, things are looking great. Still no weight gain, BP was 110/79, and the baby's HB was 166. I have my u/s in less than 2 weeks now and I can't wait. I'll be sure and let y'all know what we're having.
barbygirl43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 04:16 PM   #10  
9.95 + S & H

I went home today for lunch and there's workers at my house putting in a new AC/Heating system so I didn't want to hang around. I went to Wendy's and got a chicken salad with the low fat honey mustard dressing. Yeay for me. Well, after I get juuuuust far enough away I don't want to go back I realize they gave me the regular dressing in the bag, 280 calories and 26 grams of fat! So what did I do? That's right, I went back home and got my own fat free dressing and ate the salad. This is quite the accomplishment for me, just a few weeks ago I would have had a burger and fries - biggie sized, with a diet pepsi of course.
I fought the Wendy's fat and WON!
PsycoPhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 07:11 PM   #11  
DollyR

S/C/G: GW - 145

I am getting homesick. Every week I get a little more wistful waiting for the summer to start. I miss so many simple things like going to Target and KMart. Going for a drive and just walking the streets of my home town where all the signs are in English and I know I can speak to anyone in my own language. It's hard sometimes for me because I don't always know what is acceptable and what is not....then there are times when I forget I am even overseas because things seem so much like home.

It is very strange to be a functioning illiterate everyday of my life here. I can't read the signs or understand what the people are saying. It is however very interesting how far body language goes.

I just needed to get it off my chest I guess. I know when I go through customs and immigration for first time after one year I actually get a little misty when they tell me welcome to the United States. Sometimes I tell them I have been gone for a year and they say welcome home 'mam.
DollyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 07:26 PM   #12  

Darlene,
I know these feelings all to well. I lived in Saudi Arabia for 2 years and didn't know enough Arabic to speak to any one or understand it. What stores they had closed 5 times a day for prayers. I could read the speed limit signs because I had learned the numbers, but I couldn't drive. I only knew enought Arabic to greet someone hello and good bye.
When we finally came home, and we landed in Dallas I was in tears. The first time I sat through a church service after not being in one for 2 years I cried too.
Living there was a wonderful experience for me and my family and the the experience made us appriciate what we have here in the USA.
Old 04-13-2006, 08:07 PM   #13  

S/C/G: ?/250/160

Hi everyone -- my weekend has started and boy, have I been looking forward to it! I have a ton of school work to do, though -- 4 papers coming due and then finals and then . . . TA DA! On May 6 I may well be the oldest graduating member of the ETSU class of 2006! Or maybe not; after all I'm "only" 46.

All this cruise talk has me looking forward to a little vacation, too. I can only imagine being horribly claustrophobic on a ship, though -- so instead I'll be spending 2 days in the car with my daughter, driving up to Canada to visit some friends in Port Hope (anywhere near you, Dee?) and sight-see in Toronto. Then I'll have to come home and job hunt . At least I'll be feeling better about having lost a little weight before going off to "sell" myself.

Sheila, I just have to tell you that I adore your avatar -- makes me smile every time I see it! What a cutie!

Here's a dose of to everyone who's staring down baskets of Easter goodies ...

(another) Denise
dustdiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 10:34 PM   #14  
A 6'1" Amazon and Proud!!

Joyce, we will be leaving out of Miami and heading to Antigua, St. Johns, Puerto Rico, and Great Stirrup Cay! I've been to Nassau, Cozumel, Jamaica (Ocho Rios and Montego Bay), the Caymans, etc - but I've never been to these places so I'm really looking forward to it!!
suzisonthemovetolose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 10:41 PM   #15  

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzisonthemovetolose
Joyce, we will be leaving out of Miami and heading to Antigua, St. Johns, Puerto Rico, and Great Stirrup Cay! I've been to Nassau, Cozumel, Jamaica (Ocho Rios and Montego Bay), the Caymans, etc - but I've never been to these places so I'm really looking forward to it!!
There are some pretty nice beaches in St Johns and Great Stirrup Cay. I have never been to Antigua. Tell me about it when you get back. Have a great time.