Old 02-28-2006, 12:53 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 332/270/160

Height: 5"7'

Talking Okay, let's talk about sweat!

I'm wondering is it good to sweat?

I don't sweat that much, I've been doing The Biggest Loser, Taebo Flex, WATP and really pushing myself but I don't sweat. I get a nice sheen going on but not dripping. Should I be?

I usually wear shorts and a t-shirt. Talking to my mom she said maybe I should wear pants and something warmer to help. Does this sound like a good idea? I don't want to overheat!

I don't know much about this subject so thought I'd toss it out there and maybe some of you would know. Thanks for reading!
SnowboundChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 12:58 AM   #2  
Determined

I'm not an expert, but I would think it's more about your heart rate and not overdress just to sweat. As long as your heart rate is in your target range I would think your work outs are effective.
happydaisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 01:47 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 286/263/125

I don't sweat, either. It's a congenital body issue type thing, not a "not working hard enough" thing. Just be careful that you don't overheat.
corayay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 02:03 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 282/ticker/145

Height: 5'6"

You are probably sweating plenty but since you are wearing shorts and a t-shirt it dries faster. Especially moving around doing videos the air would dry you off. If you wore full-length clothes you'd probably be wetter because it would soak into your clothes but you wouldn't actually be sweating much more than now.

Hehe, I'll share a sweat story. I do sweat quite a but when working out. A week or two ago I had finished an hour of incline walking on the treadmill then did a 5 minute cooldown on the bike. When I stood up to leave I caught a glimpse of my butt in the mirror and it was soaked! Two perfect wet butt cheek shapes! From pressing on the seat. I tried to pull my shirt down as I dashed out but I don't think it worked.
stacylambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 02:31 AM   #5  

I don't sweat much either... but have you ever been one to sweat? sweating or not can also be related to thyroid issues...
MlleOdile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 06:15 AM   #6  
This is the Last Time!!!

S/C/G: HW283/GW170

Height: 5'5"

Lack of sweating can also indicate kidney problems.
HadEnough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 07:44 AM   #7  
Embracing My New Normal

S/C/G: 248/226/135

I'd think you'd need to compare your post-workout sweat to the amount of sweat you normally produce after exerting yourself. If you've never been much of a sweater, then this is probably the norm for you. But, if you're normally a dripper, you might want to get it checked out.

I inagine you're asking because you see how drippy wet the folks on the tape are. If I were you, I'd compare myself to me, rather than people on a tape.

Personally, I hate to sweat. Don't like the feeling at all. It's one of the things that always ended up driving me away from gyms. The only thing worse than my sweat is having to deal with other people's sweat (ewwww). It was one of the reasons aqua aerobics was so appealing to me. Can't do aqua now because I'm not near a pool.

I have a gym set up in my basement now, with big fans, so although I am sweating, it's being evaporated and I feel cool, not moist.

One big caution: Don't think that the more you sweat, the more weight you're losing. It doesn't work that way. Sweating heavily only indicates water loss, not fat. You're not sweating out fat. Any fat you're losing during a workout is because of the calories burned, not because of the sweating. So, don't fall prey to the misconception that because you're sweating heavy you're losing more.

If I were you, I'd wear enough to be comfy and be done with it. Don't overdress just in order to produce more sweat.

Last edited by Less of Lena; 02-28-2006 at 07:51 AM.
Less of Lena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 12:35 PM   #8  
Linda

Height: 5'0"

Hi ,Donna..great question I've wondered about this a lot, too.

My hubby and I have found something interesting. Of course there's no scientific proof behind it or anything.

When I start working out after a long period of doing nothing (like months) I don't sweat much at all. Once my condition improves slightly (after a couple of weeks or so) my sweating increases.
The same thing happens to Rudy..except he's a superman..but if he doesn't run on the treadmill for a while...it takes him several workouts to work up to full body dripping with sweat, too.

Just my own experience,

Linda
famograham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 12:48 PM   #9  
Downsizing Dee!

For me cardio doesn't produce very much sweat at all. I mean, I definately sweat but I'm not dripping wet or anything.

Weight training, sit-ups, push-ups - now those types of activities really get it started.

~Dee
newfiedarling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 01:57 PM   #10  

Default I'm not sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MlleOdile
I don't sweat much either... but have you ever been one to sweat? sweating or not can also be related to thyroid issues...
It's been so long since I actually exercise besides the last four month but no in the last four months I haven't been a sweater.

In the summer heat, I sweat more.

I've had my thyroid checked a few months ago, there was an abnormality but it's an unusual one and I get it check this month again.
Old 02-28-2006, 02:03 PM   #11  

Thanks Ladies.

No I don't equat sweating with losing more, but thanks for the concern. Yes, I was looking at some of these women on the tapes going, what the... they are dripping.

I have noticed that I seemed to sweat more with each workout. DH, said something to me once that I'm just remembering. He likes to sauna, usually in the summer because he built a sauna out in the woods and can only get to it in the summer. ANyway, he said it takes a couple of saunas before he starts to get a good sweat. I wonder if it's clearing pores or something. Or the same for exercise.

I think I'll just keep wearing what I wear.

Also, I think my kidney work was fine the last time it was checked as well. I'm pretty sure the doctor is going to check everything again.
Old 02-28-2006, 03:49 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 256/???/150

Quote:
Originally Posted by famograham
Hi ,Donna..great question I've wondered about this a lot, too.

My hubby and I have found something interesting. Of course there's no scientific proof behind it or anything.

When I start working out after a long period of doing nothing (like months) I don't sweat much at all. Once my condition improves slightly (after a couple of weeks or so) my sweating increases.
The same thing happens to Rudy..except he's a superman..but if he doesn't run on the treadmill for a while...it takes him several workouts to work up to full body dripping with sweat, too.

Just my own experience,

Linda
I can relate! I don't sweat much...but now that I'm working out on a constant basis,I am sweating alot more.It's still not a dripping sweat,but by the time I'm done working out...I can feel it.
zoritsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 05:10 PM   #13  

I sweat buckets, so much so I have bought all black exercise clothes!!! So you can't tell, and I boy am I glad I have lost weight, have you tried buying sweat wicking clothes in plus sizes????

Sweating isn't an indication of how hard your working. My trainer tried to say that I sweated so much because I'm unfit. I don't think so, this was after I had been exercising regularly a year, and I pass every fitness test. It's just one of lifes little mysteries!
kykaree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 06:37 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 260.8/248.8/150

Height: 5'7"

Hi there, I don't sweat too much either, sometimes under my arms a little, and how lovely that looks! But I know I'm getting to my target heart and I feel great, so I guess it's working!! Keep up the good work!
BethC is offline   Reply With Quote