Pasta for dinner help with measuring..

• Im having spaggetti tonight for dinner and I was just wondering since im a ****** and don't have any thing to measure with it say's on this package of barilla angel hair plus pasta that a serving size is 2 oz or 56 grams can i figure about how much that is without scales roughly? thanks for any help.- Kim
  • Hey Kim - sorry I can't help you out on this one, I'm terrible at conversions. I remember reading somewhere that a serving of pasta was the size of your fist. Can anyone else confirm?

~Dee
  • Oh your fine hun! I was just wondering, on the pasta's website they mention something about a cup 2 cups being a serving but who knows! I guess i could just a smaller plate.. thanks anyway's dee! - Kim
  • I inputted into fitday for 1 cup of spaghetti and this is what it gives
    Nutrition Facts

Amount Per 1 cup, cooked
    Calories 196.22
    Calories from Fat 8.39

% Daily Value *
    Total Fat 0.932g 1%
    Saturated Fat 0.132g 1%
    Polyunsaturated Fat 0.38g
    Monounsaturated Fat 0.11g
    Cholesterol 0mg 0%
    Sodium 325.02mg 14%
    Potassium 43.21mg 1%
    Total Carbohydrate 39.44g 13%
    Dietary Fiber 2.37g 9%
    Protein 6.64g 13%

HTH
  • But that's just plain ol spaghetti right? I have that angel hair barilla plus that's suppost to be better for you so do you think the amount would be different? Thanks for the info though~!
  • I copyed this from their site so I guess it could range between 200-400, Either way this pasta has lot's of nutrients in it but i probally should have it as a side dish either way huh lol...
    From Barilla's website....
    So it’s best to eat a reasonable portion of pasta – about 1 to 2 cups cooked, which has around 200 to 400 calories, and little or no fat. Dress it up with a tomato- or olive oil-based sauce and toss in some healthy “partners,” and you’ll enjoy a good-for-you pasta meal. A two-cup portion dressed with a tomato- or olive oil-based sauce, and combined with healthy “partners” is the traditional and authentic Italian way of serving a healthy pasta meal.

And i researched it shows that 2.5 ounces of this pasta is around 250 calories BUT I wish i know how much 2.5 ounces were lol !!!
  • Kim - I can't resist research projects! I found this info on another site with detailed calorie info -

Calories and Carbs in Near East, Pasta, Spaghetti, Macaroni: Spicy Tomato w. Angel Hair, dry: 2 oz serving = 206 calories

Calories and Carbs in Near East, Pasta, Spaghetti, Macaroni: Spicy Tomato w. Angel Hair, prep. as directed: 1 cup = 250 calories

Now, I don't know what else is added to make it "prep as directed", but it is very probable that it involves olive oil (having made a number of Near East items before). That makes me think that 2 oz of uncooked pasta = 1 cup of cooked pasta, and it is about 200 calories.

It sounds like time to invest in a scale.
  • Dry spaghetti is too hard to measure. Go with 1 cup cooked. I count 174 (don't know where I got that), so maybe 200 is a safer bet. Even if the sphagetti is better for you the calories won't be much lower. I think when I have compared in the past the healthier sphgetti was the same cals or maybe even a smidge more.
  • The Barilla Plus is whole grain, and has added legume flour for protein. It's a "low-carb" style pasta. It's what I eat, and I love it. Yes, the calories for a serving are about 200, but the protein is 10 grams, and the fiber is 4. Plus, I think it has more taste than "plain" pasta.

As to measuring it dry... my trick is to split the whole box. If the box has four servings, I tip the spaghetti it out into my hand and split it in half. One half goes back in the box. I split the half I have in half again, and that's what goes in the pot. Next time I know to split what's left in the box into thirds. Then in half. It's not completely accurate, but I figure it will come out even in the end. I'm the only one who eats this stuff.
  • Quote: As to measuring it dry... my trick is to split the whole box.
    That's exactly what I was going to say! My pasta has 7 servings per container (2oz each), so I split the whole box into about 3 equal portions, then I cook one of those portions and split what is cooked as evenly as possibly between mine and my boyfriend's plates so I end up with 1/6 of the container (since there are 7 servings, I then multiply 7 by the number of cals per serving and divide by 6 so I know how many calories are in my serving since it is a little larger than a suggested serving size). Make sense?
  • great idea about splitting the box im sure i was a little off last night but that's okay i only eat pasta once a week at the most. I need to get a scale bottom line lol.. I had a box of wheat and the regular and you were right there were a few more cal's a serving in the wheat than the regular! But moderation in all things is what im trying to do so hopefully it works !
  • I have a plastic spaghetti container that has two holes in the top -- one for one serving and one for two. I store my dry spaghetti in there, and then "dial" which size serving I need when I tip it out into my hand. Makes it much easier.

http://order.tupperware.com/coe/app/...r=P10048103000
  • 1/2 cup cooked pasta is one serving, at least that's what I've always been told.