My Scale Was Wrong

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • I've kinda suspected it for quite a while, but now it's confirmed. My scale is off by 5 pounds, and not for the better! I just spent an hour changing the numbers on my weightloss chart and in Fitday to show the 5-pound difference.

I know that I've still lost the same amount of weight (as a matter of fact I reached the 60-pound mark this morning) but it still feels like I've taken a couple of steps backwards. It seemed like I loomed in the low 180s forever and when I finally thought I had made it over the hurdle, I'm right back there again.

Scales are evil things

~Dee
  • Man, that stinks! How did you find out it was wrong?
  • Quote: Man, that stinks! How did you find out it was wrong?
    Well...anytime I used a scale other than my own the reading was way up. I kept telling myself that it was because I had on clothes or because it was the middle of the day and I always weigh first thing in the morning. So finally on the weekend I decided to test out my theory and put a 25lb weight on it and it was off, it only read 20 pounds. So off I went to buy a new scale and when I tried out all of the ones that were on display at the store they all agreed with each other. Now I'm the pround owner of a digital model that reads in .5 pound increments.
  • My scale did that to me before too... I hated it when I found out. Turned out the battery was dying! So it was showing that I lost 6lbs and I knew it was wrong.

At least you bought a new scale that's working for the better now
  • that would suck. be glad it's in the past now.
  • I know my scale is wrong by about 5 pounds, but haven't had the heart to buy another and reset the numbers. At least I know it's reliable, that is, ALWAYS off by the same amount!
  • That bites!

I always weighed at my moms house. I refused to buy a scale. I knew I would weigh myself every 5 minutes. But her scale is old and way off! So I decided to give a new scale a try. I have a new digital one. I weigh every morning and thats it.
  • Evil scale! At least now you know the truth. I also have a digital scale that does the .5. Do you round up or down for your ticker here?

Quote: I weigh every morning and thats it.
    I'm DONE with weighing every morning now! ONCE A WEEK, ON MONDAY MORNINGS! Yesterday I weighed 256 and today 257. If I hadn't known yesterdays weight, I'd be super happy with todays weight. But instead, I'm obsessing...I know I didn't gain a pound yesterday (duh!)...but why, oh why does the scale do this to me?

OK, over it! Moving on. I know I'll hit 256 sometime this week...
  • Quote: I'm DONE with weighing every morning now!
    Heh, I weigh every day...you've just got to remember to roll with the punches. I only count my weight as "official" once a week, but I hop on every morning anyway just to see. I think it's interesting that it can be off by a couple pounds from one day to the next even if I stuck to my calories--it actually has helped to show me how UNIMPORTANT the numbers on the scale are so I focus on my clothing fit and general feeling of health instead
  • Been there, done that, exept mine was 15lbs talk about a big downer to find out that instead of 295 when I started I was actully 310 that was enough to send me into a depression but it also got me back on track. Be proud of losing 60lbs your doing great.....
  • When you get to goal you can say you lost 5 more pounds than what you originally would've thought. You'll have those "new" 5 pounds gone in no time and this will be a distant memory in your weight loss journey.
  • Quote: I also have a digital scale that does the .5. Do you round up or down for your ticker here?
    My weight was an even number when I updated my ticker...which I do once a week on Saturday. Im just nosey and want to check my weight every day.
  • Can I say, huge congrats on LOSING 60 POUNDS!
  • Thanks for the support everyone - I think I'm over it, but it certainly was a blow first when I found out!

~Dee
  • I just bought a scale this weekend,.. I am so mad because it gives me a different weight each time I step on...

Now I'm wondering how I am going to keep track of weight with this crazy scale..

I'm thinking about weighing until it gives me the same number twice,..LOL