3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   100 lb. Club (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/100-lb-club-55/)
-   -   Healthy choices got a few for me!? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/100-lb-club/72959-healthy-choices-got-few-me.html)

rysmommy 01-15-2006 04:14 PM

Healthy choices got a few for me!?

Quick question, I need to make healthier choices... And i am out of ideas for easy lunches and dinners can anyone tell me a few that are simple and filling with a very low processed amount, Im sure there have been tons on here before so if you find a link please share im just feeling lazy and hungry but need healthy resorts!! THANKS! oh by the way i hate any kind of fish except tuna once in a while

susannyny 01-15-2006 05:08 PM

Hi Rysmom.

I'm relatively new to the site too, so I'm not sure what's been previously posted.

My lunches and 4 pm meal usually consist of a combination of two of the following:

* 1/4 white meat turkey burger (grilled dry) in 2 Tbsp BBQ sauce w/ 1 cup steamed spinach (water, no oil); Small container of blueberries
- Calories: 291; Protein: 33 gms; Carbs: 26 gms; Fat: 1 gm

* 4 oz Applegate Farm (no nitrites in this stuff!) blackforest ham; 2 slices Peppridge Farm low-carb whole wheat bread; baby greens; mustard; 1/2 cup baby carrots
- Calories: 245; Protein: 31 gms; Carbs: 22 gms; Fat: 6 gms

* 4 oz Applegate Farm smoked turkey breast; 2 2 slices Peppridge Farm low-carb whole wheat bread; baby greens; mustard; 1/2 cup baby carrots
- Calories: 220; Protein: 34 gms; Carbs: 22 gms; Fat: 3 gms

I also eat Shrimp, Sashimi and Vital Choice canned Tuna and Salmon, but you mentioned not liking fish.

The basic rules I try to follow are:

1) Eat every 2 to 3 hours
2) Eat complete, lean protein with each meal (Fish, lean red meat, poultry, Omega-3 eggs, Tofu)
3) Eat vegetables with each meal. Reserve all other carbs for post-workout meals and always eat protein first.
4) Eat healthy fats (avocado, nuts in moderation, flax oil (you cannot cook with it), fish oil supplementation)

Best of luck!

susie_sunshine 01-15-2006 05:33 PM

Check out the cookbooks called "Eat, shrink and be merry", "Looney spoons" and "Crazy plates" They have really great recipes and are all low fat and very healthy. I use them religiously!

Nori71 01-15-2006 05:39 PM

Eating healthy does require more thought and prep! I go shopping every couple days and wash and cut up all the veggies and greens for salads and snacks so they are ready when I want them. I never get tired of chicken breasts. I usually marinade them in different things for variety and then always cook extra. We'll eat them for dinner and then I'll slice the leftovers for sandwiches & cube them for salads for the next couple days. Also, for luches sometimes I just repeat breakfast foods. I'll do yogurt with Kashi in it twice a day - no problem! A new things I'm enjoying these days is hummus. My 2 year old got inot it at Grandma's house, and loved it, so I decided to try it with celery and it's great.

lucky 01-15-2006 05:54 PM

I do try new recipes but, like most families, we have a handful of "usuals" that I tend to stick with. To keep everybody happy while I attempted to lose weight I took a look at the menus I was already serving. I tweaked how I cooked them, substituted a couple of ingredients here and there, and then reduced my portions at mealtime. If you haven't already, you might consider doing the same. Don't misunderstand me, there is nothing wrong with trying new foods. But, I think often we lose our way because we feel like weight loss means a complete overhaul of what we eat. That leads to complaints from everybody else you are feeding and becomes more trouble than it is worth. I bet you've got a few favorites that you could alter to be lower calorie too!

cagirlygirl 01-15-2006 06:01 PM

Hi Rysmom!

You'll get oodles of good suggestions here. I have one stand by that works when I have only a few minutes and zero inspiration in the kitchen. It's based on having a Trader Joe's close by, but you could probably work it out if you don't... anyway:

I buy cooked brown rice in a plastic pouch (60 sedconds in the microwave!), a can of spicy black beans, some fresh salsa, and grill a chicken breast with some mexican spices. Shred the chicken breast and throw part of it in with some beans, rice and salsa. It's healthy, filling, cheap (bonus!) and works out to about 3 lunches.

Just a thought...

Good luck!

cheers! :hat:
paula

Heather 01-15-2006 09:47 PM

Red beans and rice is one of our favorites -- pretty simple.

Fajitas are a fun dish and can be made pretty healthy! We made some with shrimp tonight.

I love to make soup -- a great way to get the veggies and beans in!

What about chili? Could make a vegetarian version, or use ground turkey...

I'm really starting to get into cottage cheese as a snack... but you could incorporate it into a lunch too.

YP1 01-16-2006 01:51 PM

I love mixed bean chilli, one of my favourite lunchtime foods. I tend to buy ready prepared stuff because it's easier to just heat up, but I'm sure it wouldn't be too hard to heat up.

rysmommy 01-16-2006 01:56 PM

well this is my battle plan for today's meals I have way too many carbs and fat grams according to fitday there is no way im going to lose weight eating like this can someone please give me some ideas on how i can have less fat and carbs because apparently im over doing it. right when i though i was doing good too. UUggghh! I hate food.
http://www.fitday.com/WebFit/PublicJ...Owner=rysmommy
THis is my link for all of today's plan for food....

Scrappy Chick 01-16-2006 02:25 PM

I took a glance at your plan and the first thing that jumped out at me is that you need more protein. Are you vegetarian? I don't think I saw any meat on there, but a sure way to cut out carbs is to substitute proteins like chicken, lean beef, etc. I don't mean go full Atkins, but if you up the protein you will feel more full at the same time as helping you cut down on carbs.

rysmommy 01-16-2006 02:44 PM

no im not a veggy, i just don't like alot of meat and i hate fish of any kind and im out of grocery's till friday so im low on chicken and lean ground beef I know i need more protein any ideas?!

newfiedarling 01-16-2006 02:52 PM

What about cabbage rolls - they're very filling (and healthy if you use the right stuff). You could make up a big batch, they freeze quite well. I use lean pork and chicken instead of beef with brown rice.

Pita pizzas are quick and taste great. I use lean sandwich meat and load it up with veggies.

Stir-fry is very fast if you buy the meat ready to go, of course you can buy the veggies already chopped too, but it's a little more expensive.

Sorry, I can't think of any more right now. I eat a lot of fish, but I see it's not your thing. Hope these ideas help you out. I know I'm going to try several of the things I see here.

~Dee

rysmommy 01-16-2006 03:03 PM

could you share a recipe for your cabbage rolls and how you freeze them it sounds great!

Nori71 01-16-2006 03:24 PM

Yes Dee, please share the cabbage roll recipe!!

newfiedarling 01-16-2006 03:48 PM

I don't really follow a specific recipe so here goes...

1 head of cabbage
1 package or lean ground turkey or chicken or pork. (Sometimes I chop up lean pork chops or chicken breasts and use that, you can use just about any meat that you like)
1 cup (uncooked) brown rice, the yield is much bigger once cooked
Tomato sauce (you can use your own or bottled is fine)
1 large can of diced tomatoes (again you can use your own if you like)
2 eggs
1 chopped onion
Celery (optional)
Salt & Pepper to taste

Directions for cabbage:
Core the cabbage and place in boiling water. Peel the leaves away as they begin to soften. Lay flat.

Directions for rice:
Cook as per package

Combine meat (uncooked), rice, onions, celery, eggs and seasoning. Place a few tablespoons of the mixture on to a leaf of cabbage. Roll the leaf making sure you tuck in the ends. Repeat until you've used up all of the mixture. Place rolled cabbage into a baking dish and cover with tomato sauce/tomatoes. Bake at 300 for 1 1/2 - 2 hours.

Sorry for the sloppy instructions, like I said I'm not really a recipe follower.

~Dee