Old 01-16-2006, 07:13 AM   #16  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

*thinking* I'm not sure I've ever seen a skinny clerk at a Lany Bryant. Or an Avenue, for that matter. Even at Fashion Bug, I see a lot of heavier saleswomen. BUT, like Jessica mentioned, the "trendy" stores seem to be another story. I used to shop at Deb (not that their quality is worth the price, but they sometimes had GREAT clearance deals), and some locations had a Deb Plus with plus-sized clothing. However, I don't think I ever saw anyone over a size 4 working there, and they certainly weren't about to go out of their way to help me And GOD FORBID I walk into an Express, Pacific Sunwear, American Eagle, or anything like that without a skinny friend--don't they realize I could be shopping or a friend?? One day, I'd like to pull out a bunch of size 2 clothes and go into the dressing room and take out a piece of fabric I would have hidden in my purse and just rip it loudly--I would love to see the looks on their faces! Oh, and then, of course, come out and ask if maybe they have the same thing in a 4?

HOWEVER, I don't think my being fat was the reason they didn't want to help me. I know when I worked retail, I treated every customer the same, so some days everyone got great service, and some days everyone got crappy service, depending on my mood (how's that for brutal honesty? ). I think we sometimes blame the crappy service on our weight, whereas it could actually be that EVERYONE got crappy service at that time, ya know?

I think many of us blame the fat for things whether it's true or not. When something goes wrong, it's automatically because we're fat, but that's not always the case. I read about a study once (of course, I can't find it now--it was online, though) where a bunch of women went out on a first date with a guy. About half the women were overweight, and the other half was not. The guy didn't call ANY of the women back for a second date. When the women were asked why they thought that was, ALL of the overweight women quoted their size as the reason, whereas all of the thin women had other reasons (different interestes, values, goals, sense of humor, etc.).
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 09:33 AM   #17  
Yee Haw!

S/C/G: 278/220/130

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchAPrettyFace
I hate this about Lane Bryant. I really do. Also the quality of their clothing in the last 15 years has gone down the toilet. I should be able to wash something for a year or more, and not have the seams come out, not a month!

Fashion Bug was the same way when I worked there . I was there for 2 years. I know how bad the quality was. That was 10 years ago. It may have changed but I doubt it.
Kamily828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 09:34 AM   #18  

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillybean720
I read about a study once (of course, I can't find it now--it was online, though) where a bunch of women went out on a first date with a guy. About half the women were overweight, and the other half was not. The guy didn't call ANY of the women back for a second date. When the women were asked why they thought that was, ALL of the overweight women quoted their size as the reason, whereas all of the thin women had other reasons (different interestes, values, goals, sense of humor, etc.).
OTOH, I once read a study where the same exact ad was placed in the personals 3 times, except for one difference. In the list of attributes, one ad said, "Overweight", one said "heavy drug user" and the other said "HIV positive". The overweight ad received no responses, but the other 2 received plenty of responses.

HAving said that, I do think that a lot of it has to do with the vibe we give off and also with our own perception (which often colors the vibe we give off, no?).
irishgreengables is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 10:17 AM   #19  
Eating for two!

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishgreengables
OTOH, I once read a study where the same exact ad was placed in the personals 3 times, except for one difference. In the list of attributes, one ad said, "Overweight", one said "heavy drug user" and the other said "HIV positive". The overweight ad received no responses, but the other 2 received plenty of responses.
That is so crazy! I know I have been listed on dating sites with a photo (showing some of my body, not just my face) with the largest body type option available ("lots to love!" was my favorite way a site worded it ), and I have definitely gotten responses from many nice and seemingly-normal men. Maybe it's the fear of no photo--I think some people see the word "overweight" and think maybe a few extra pounds, while some see it and think of someone who needs a crane to lift them out of bed, ya know? Whereas HIV positive and heavy drug user are pretty easliy defined (well, I guess you could argue about WHICH drugs the person was taking ), I think "overweight" is still very vague to a lot of people, and the unknown is scary.

I agre, though, that a lot of it is perception and our own vibes. Sometimes I think some overweight people almost "expect" to be shunned, so they act either more defensive or more sheepish in public situations, and their acting differently is what causes people to react differently towards them. Does that make sense?
Old 01-16-2006, 11:51 AM   #20  
a new year... a new me

i LOVED Deb when i was in high school and could fit into the clothes. i got a lot of cute dresses and stuff there (and the shoes OMG)!!!! i thought the prices were good too. i never paid more than about 10 bucks for the dresses and i think the shoes i got there were about 17 (but of course this was over 10 years ago). there isn't a plus size section in the one here i don't think...i may have to check though since its been a while since i went in there...not that i'd wear that kind of stuff anymore though.
shedilbry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 12:17 PM   #21  
Eating for two!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shedilbry
i LOVED Deb when i was in high school and could fit into the clothes. i got a lot of cute dresses and stuff there (and the shoes OMG)!!!! i thought the prices were good too. i never paid more than about 10 bucks for the dresses and i think the shoes i got there were about 17 (but of course this was over 10 years ago). there isn't a plus size section in the one here i don't think...i may have to check though since its been a while since i went in there...not that i'd wear that kind of stuff anymore though.
I can't buy their shirts or dresses anymore, only their pants. The shirts and dresses run WAY small--I normally wear about a size 24 shirt, but their 3x shirts are like spandex or won't even meet in the front, let alone button. It's inasane! I can wear the pants because they have normal numbered sizes.
Old 01-16-2006, 01:01 PM   #22  

S/C/G: 273/260.1/163

Height: 5'7"

I think blaming weight for the reasons we get bad service isn't exactly fair. It's lack of training, someone having a bad day, also, when women come into my store and I say hello, if they barely look at me and don't say hi back.. I assume they want to be left alone. Bad to assume possibly, but let me tell you HOW many times I've been yelled at by customers who are pissed off at the product, sizing, etc. I don't control these things, companies have websites for a reason. Infact, we don't even do reports on customer requests. A company will always listen to customers, I had a TON of customers complain about us not having t-shirts (they sent emails), and then they showed up, 2 months early.

In the end I think people are too self absorbed to care if you are fat... they are too busy thinking that they are. Also, Chances are if they are snobby to you, they are snobby to everyone...

Thats my two cents..

-Aimee
SwimGirl is offline   Reply With Quote