Old 01-12-2006, 10:32 AM   #1  
What are you waiting for?

S/C/G: 232/258/223

Height: 5'4

Default Will I ever lose weight?! :(

Okay i wasn't sure where to post this i hope it's the right place if not feel free to move me
I have been trying my best to eat healthy and I have been working out daily 20 minutes in the morning for an aerobic video and 30-35 minutes at night on my treadmill plus a few strength training things on my ball Anyway's what im getting to is i've been tracking everything Im eating into fitday and thought i've been doing pretty good (you can look back a few day's to see what you think)
Then i did this calorie thing today and it say's I should be having this many calories to Maintenance: 2786
Fat Loss: 2229 Calories/day
Extreme Fat Loss: 1928 Calories/day
Now Im worried becouse it say's if you eat less than that of the fat loss You will put your body into starvation mode and won't loose, I have been working my Butt off! And i don't feel deprived or hungy If i eat all those calories I would be afraid of never loosing I stay generally between 14-1800 everyday if not a little more, and I try to keep my body moving most of the day. Am I not going to have sucess unless I eat all those calories? Im so scared that everything I've done has been a waste of time I thought that about 1800 cal's a day would be good for me but that say's different Any help or advice? PLEASE!
Here's my fitday link-

http://www.fitday.com/WebFit/PublicJ...Owner=rysmommy
rysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 10:48 AM   #2  

Those metabolism calculators should never be taken as gospel, because they can't know the specifics of your body. Also, those calculators usually ask you to choose your activity level, and you may have chosen one too high for your actual activity. The highest level is for people who train hard on a daily basis at intense actvities; what you are doing would be considered "moderate." So, if you chose a higher level, run through it again with Moderate activity.

At your weight and activity level I'd definitely stay closer to the 1800 calorie level every day. However, you should never ever feel your efforts are a waste. Obviously you are losing. Obviously you are doing some things that are REALLY good for your overall health. Sometimes we don't lose as quickly as we would like, or as quickly as some others seem to, but what's important is losing over the long term and keeping it off, and developing healthy habits that are good for us no matter what our weight.

I will make one other observation: I really really intensely dislike setting deadlines for weight loss. I know some people find them ... inspirational ... but I think they tend to provide unnecessary pressure and expectations. You need to feel good and positive and optimistic about the changes you are making in your life, and if you set yourself up to see only a deadline, then typically you are setting yourself up for feelings of frustration and failure no matter how much progress you make.
funniegrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 10:55 AM   #3  

As you can see from my sig I weigh more than you. Online calculators tell me I can eat 3000 calories a day. I NEVER ate 3000 a day so I should have been losing all along...except I wasn't! By my calculations I'm burning 2000-2200 a day so I eat 1500 ish. I lose about a pound a week.

My point being that everyone is different and you just have to find the right amount for you. My doc says dont go under 1200 and that sounds good to me. Starvation mode is less than 1000 I think.

Oh and YES of course you will lose weight! Just eat less than you burn.
coley144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 11:05 AM   #4  

Your totally right about the deadline thing but at the same time I need something to lookfoward to something to keep me going kwim? Not nessarily A deadline for a certain amount of weight but just to maybe fit in clothes comfy not have a bulge over my pant's ect... im a competitive person and If i have something to look forward to then i feel I HAVE to keep doing it?! I am eating a different amount of calories everday I never go under 1200 I don't think i'd ever go under 1300 just because i love food but at the same time I never go over 1900 because that just seems like too much food for me kwim? I know everybody is different but Im just so scared of failure I just hope im doing this the right way for weight loss, not to maintain what i am right now I don't want to be breaking even every night like eating and working out and staying the same , I just want to know im loosing... Im scared of not losing and scared of staying fat forever.
Old 01-12-2006, 11:31 AM   #5  
Heather/Caterpillar

I had this problem and my doctor made me look at what I was eating and when, it turned out that I was eating less calories than my body needed and also the wrong kinds of things. I have lost weight by eating a lot more food than before but this time vegetables and fruits and things that keep my body going. If you can add in a little exercise that will help...it doesnt need to be anything organised...just doing some hoovering or other house work can be classed as exercise and stretching for things in the kitchen.
Would you like to be buddies? We weigh about the same and I am competetive too so we could check in on each other if you like?

Heather
Heva2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 11:45 AM   #6  

I would love another buddy! I need all and any inspiration I can get what are you doing or your goals? I Love competition but the fun kind bring it on...
Old 01-12-2006, 12:59 PM   #7  
IR/PCOS/Pre-Diabetic

S/C/G: 310/*ticker*/150

Height: 5'4"

Also keep in mind that those body metabolism calculators, which tell you how much you eat to maintain your current weight, are extrapolated from normal-weight to slightly-overweight people. Once you get into the "morbidly obese" category, it just isn't a straight extrapolation any more.

Those things say I should be eating over 3000 calories to maintain my weight. Bull. If I eat more than 2500 on a regular basis, I gain. I aim for between 1500 and 1800 calories a day, and lose about a pound a week fairly consistently (two weeks holding, two weeks losing two pounds each, seems to be my cycle).

That being said, I agree that you may want to look not only at HOW MUCH you eat, but at WHAT and WHEN you eat. I've found that if I eat more often, and focus my snacks and meals around protein, I am almost never hungry. I fill in with lots of fruits and veggies and lean dairy and some whole grains and nuts.

It's when I get overly hungry that I'll eat anything that's not nailed down... whether it tastes good or not. And that's not good for the waistline.
synger is offline   Reply With Quote