Are you scared?

• I don't know why but this feeling of fear keeps sweeping over me as I think about loosing the weight. I don't know if it's fear of failure or fear of change or what.... I do know that I like the feeling because it's the same feeling I have when I am determined to do something and then succeed at doing that something. It almost like a rush, roller coaster exciting fear type feeling....

Does anyone else experience this?
  • Check out this thread:

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=72256

Just be sure to notice what you're feeling, and not let it paralyze you or lure you into eating.
  • If I was a betting gal - I would put money on me failing - just look at my history.

(Notice I've been here since 2001 that's 5 years!! and I've lost 21 lbs.. well not really.. when I first came here I was 17 lbs lighter then I am today - but I've had a baby - and that's a pretty darn good excuse!)

So, I can't change my past - but I can change my attitude and how I look at this. I'm looking at today.. that's it. Sometimes I'm only looking at my next hour. Baby steps. In my case it took my decades to get this way. There will be a learning curve. Everyone here that has lost 100lbs will say that there were not slip ups - and major ones.

Take a deep breath and look at your success today! Tomorrow will come, it always does

From one of my favourite movies: what about bob? - baby steps: baby steps to the fridge, baby steps to the scale.

• Change is both scary and (sometimes, at least) exciting. You are working on a major change! So it's reasonable to expect that it'd be scary and exhilarating.
  • I do not know if it is being scared, I think I had a uncertainity of doing this; but to do this I knew the one thing I need to do was to get through this.

I started putting out small goals for my self, some had high results some not so high. I try my best to meet them. When I do not or I feel "scared" I look at what I accomplished and where I want to be and I usually get over my issues.
  • Scared here ~ but maybe in a different way. Scared that I will never make it to goal. Scared that I will have some health issue happen before I have made any major progress, making it harder or impossible to get to goal. Scared that, based on my past record ~ if I ever do finally make it to goal, that I won't be there very long before I mess it up and end up back where I began.
  • I certainly understand how you feel..I have many fears myself..Mostly about past failures about losing and gaining weight back..but I try not to look back at what I did wrong before, I try now to look ahead, and realize how far I have come.
    I also forgive myself if I slip up....we all make mistakes...you just gotta hop back on and keep going!
  • I feel the same way so you are not alone!

This is my first ever "diet", not counting when I was 13 and my mom put me on WW. I am scared to death!
  • Melissa,

This is off topic ~ but where in Maine? Just curious. I always think it is neat when I come across someone who lives somewhere I used to. I lived in Skowhegan and Madison.
  • Didn't the Lord say...."Fear not, for I am with you..." ?

I think He meant it.
  • Of course I'm scared. Before I started this I'd never been thin, and I didn't know what thin felt like. I also didn't know whether I could do this for life. I'm 27 and life is a long time from where I'm sitting (hopefully )

Being fat was like being in a comfort zone. I knew it, I could hide behind it, and I could use it for excuses. Without that I felt naked, like the fat was my clothes and it stopped me exposing the real me to the world. I don't like being noticed, and I don't like having to find an excuse other than my fat for things that go wrong in my life.

But even given that, it's worth it, it really is. And unless you try, you won't know whether those fears are justified or whether it's just another excuse to avoid moving out of the comfort zone.
  • Abso-freakin'-lutely! It would take me forever to list all the reasons I am scared about this journey. I am scared about trying and failing, I am scared about succeeding. But I am NOT giving up this time. This time my determination out weighs (pardon the pun) my fear.

Yes, it is exciting and exhilerating. But there is always a teeth gritting fear that I have to keep a tight leash on or I will break down in tears.

Sara
  • I'm glad I'm not alone. Maybe if we can just pretend the fear is like that of a roller coaster ride, in that once the ride is over, we look back and say, "Whooooo! Now that was cool!" Except we won't be saying, "let's go again."