Old 12-29-2005, 10:13 AM   #1  
DollyR

S/C/G: GW - 145

Height: 5'6"

Lightbulb OT?? - Cow's Milk

Has anyone here given up cow's milk? I have recently been dealing with a virus in my body that is partly a result of immune deficiency. I have been reading a lot about how to boost my immune system. I have come across some things about how cow's milk is bad for you? Has anyone seen any online articles related to this? I am thinking about weaning myself (no pun intended) off the cow's milk and stick to soy milk since I use it mainly in coffee. I would like to read more if anyone has seen any reliable sources.
DollyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005, 10:24 AM   #2  

I dont use soy because how it affects the thyroid. look into rice milk or almond milk.
remiteas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005, 10:56 AM   #3  

Quote:
Originally Posted by DollyR
I have come across some things about how cow's milk is bad for you? Has anyone seen any online articles related to this?
I would stick to the actual science, rather than rely on non-peer reviewed online publications. There are too many animal rights activist trying to justify their anti-milk stance using "pseudo science".

Do a search on pubmed and pay attention to the quality of the journals as well as the conclusions: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez
RobertW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005, 10:59 AM   #4  

I tried giving up cow's milk as I have asthma. But weirdly my asthma got worse. So I reintroduced it again. One of the things I did when I started my healthy living plan was to give up all full fat dairy, cream, cheese etc. And again, my asthma actually got worse!!!!! So I now have a tiny bit of cheese every second day, and my asthma has improved!!! It seems counterintuitive because dairy is meant to promote mucous production and make asthma worse, but hey that's how my body works!

I hate the taste of soy milk, it's got a very mealy taste and I don't like it, except the chocolate one!
kykaree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005, 11:01 AM   #5  
if only she'd lose weight

S/C/G: 360/see ticker/180

Height: 5'7

I have given up cow's milk b/c my kidney doctor & renal dietician advised me to.

I can only have 6 ounces of animal protein per day, i would rather have meat or eggs than "wasting" it on milk.

But when I'm in other ppl's homes & that's all they have, I will drink it.
SuchAPrettyFace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005, 11:06 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

Lot's of folks don't eat dairy for any number of reasons. If you watch your nutrients, there wouldn't be any harm in trying.
Congratulations by the way. As a nurse I see people everyday who would rather take a pill (or 6) than try to make some minor lifestyle changes. Good for you for thinking and studying your own body and health.
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005, 01:29 PM   #7  
for me, for them

S/C/G: 345/ticker

Height: 5'10"

Quote:
Originally Posted by remiteas
I dont use soy because how it affects the thyroid. look into rice milk or almond milk.
All I can tolerate is soy milk. What effect does it have on the thyroid?
As a child, I loved cow milk but sometime near 18 I completely lost the taste for it. Now, I only like the taste of soy. I only use it in coffee and with cereal.
ScarlettDrawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005, 02:53 PM   #8  

There's lots of conflicting research about soy and the effect on the thyroid. From what I have read, if you get enough iodine in your diet, and you don't have any thyroid issues, soy consumption is fine.

I think there was some discussion about this in the "Does it work" forum, if you want to read back.

I don't hold much with these food scares, unless it is backed up by hard scientific evidence. In the UK we have a food crisis every week!
kykaree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005, 06:26 PM   #9  
DollyR

S/C/G: GW - 145

Height: 5'6"

Basically because I have to potential to develop some serious health issues I have been on this kick to boost the immune system. I have recently started taking certain vitamins to help and do know I have more energy from them and getting a lot more fruits and veggies.

Thanks for the feedback and suggestions!
DollyR is offline   Reply With Quote