3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   100 lb. Club (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/100-lb-club-55/)
-   -   Exercise Videos? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/100-lb-club/71030-exercise-videos.html)

Br00klyn 12-29-2005 03:04 AM

Exercise Videos?

Alrighty folks, so I can't afford to renew my gym membership with building the new house and everything, however I really am wanting to re-commit to losing the weight that I need to and I know the most crucial thing in my weight loss plan will be exercise. I know most of you here have had lots of success with Leslie's Walk Away the Pounds. I'm just trying to make a decision of what to buy so it just doesn't end up being yet another workout tape that I find too hard and leave on the shelf to collect dust. :o

So, what have been your successes with WATP? Or are there any other vids that you would suggest?

Thanks,
Celina

f(x) 12-29-2005 06:09 AM

WATP this very good especially if you have not workout in awhile. It is simple and does not require a lot of thought or physical coordination to do the moves. I found for me however that I needed to move to a more rigorous workout. What I have done is start working with some of The Firm tapes which can be very hard. Since I find them difficult I can't make it though the whole tape. What I do is do a 1 mile WATP and 1/2 of a Firm tape. Eventually I will be able to do the whole Firm tape and can then move on to rotating between the many Firm tape selections. I still like WATP and am happy I bought the tapes. For me they are very good if I don't feel up to a full work out or want to squeeze in a little extra exercise. Anyway that's how I use them but I know there are others who use them as their main exercise selection and seems to get good results.

I was looking at Collage exercise video catalog yesterday and see that Leslie Samsone has a Pilates tape that looked interesting. Maybe someone who has used it can tell us what they think. Collage is a great place to get video information. I go to their site and read about the tapes. They have good information as well as ratings from top fitness magazines and how they rated the workouts. I like that because they only sell tapes they have used and rated and seem at least to be pretty even handed in their evaluations. It is better than believing all the claims from infomercials. If I find something I'm interested in I then go to Ebay to see if I can get a used copy. It saves a lot of money and if I get a tape and don't like it I don't feel as if I have wasted a ton of money.

I don't know where you live but if you have a community college in your area it is easy to sign up for a weight training class. Usually they work it so that you can come and go as you wish and use their equipment. The cost is much cheaper than joining a gym. At the school I attend the class is $60 dollars and I have gym access for 3 months. I have never had to attend a regular classes but that may vary with other schools. I suggest this because like you money is in short supply but I really like having a gym to work out at. It may be an option you have not considered. During the quarter I do workouts in the gym and mix it with my at home workouts when I don't have time to get in. I do my video exercises all the time when I am on quarter breaks

DollyR 12-29-2005 06:13 AM

Ok....I have a question how does the Walk Away the Pounds Tape work? Is a workout routine or do you just listen to while you walk anywhere....if this question makes sense.

Jen415 12-29-2005 08:28 AM

It is a workout routine.......like any other exercise video, except it is marked in 1 mile, 2 mile and 3 mile incriments. It sounds weird, but makes sense once you see it.

synger 12-29-2005 09:30 AM

If you are looking for audio tapes for walking, set to a specific beats-per-minute pace, COllage video has them as well, in all sorts of styles.

I like the 1- 2- and 3-mile incrememnts in the WATP tape I have. If I only have enough time or energy for 2 miles, that's all I do. And the movements are very easy, so they are the ones I turn to when I haven't done anything for a while, or when I'm not really feeling up to it.

But I like other tapes better. I enjoy a more dancy choreography. Heck, I even have one Richard Simmons tape. He's annoying, but the music is amazing and the energy is infectious. (But then, I think Leslie is annoying, too. *grins*)

I also have the original Tae Bo, which is an amazingly powerful-feeling workout. I wasn't sure I could heft my 300+ bulk around doing kick-boxing moves when I first got it, but it soon became one of my favorites. I just do it at my own pace, which means I don't necessarily do the double-time moves. And I feel so strong when I'm finished.

Collage video has a great online site where you can select by beginner/intermediate/advanced, and the type of workout you are interested in -- aerobics, resistance training, combination, stretch/relaxation. Their reviews and overviews of the tapes are VERY useful. And they have their "Staff Favorites" which have been consistently high rated. I have enjoyed all of those that I"ve tried (even the ones that are a bit too advanced for me. I do what I can).

Hope that helps.

Jen415 12-29-2005 10:10 AM

I had considered Tae-Bo, but wasn't sure if someone my size would benefit from it.....thanks for the tip!

sabriena 12-29-2005 11:01 AM

I do Taebo Bootcamp series and I love it. It's an intense workout but the moves arent that hard. I'm still sticking with my Basic Bootcamp as I can't do the Ultimate yet :P Taebo is the only home workout I've ever done

Raelynn 12-29-2005 11:35 AM

I love Tae Bo, the bootcamp ones sound great, but I have the Live series as well as a 8 video set, and a Tae Bo II dvd. I want to get the kids one so my daughter can do it too. :) I agree with synger, I feel really strong after doing it.

I also have tried bellydancing DVDs (I rented them from the public library!) and those were fun - you get a great ab workout from them.

DishyFishy 12-29-2005 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raelynn
I also have tried bellydancing DVDs (I rented them from the public library!) and those were fun - you get a great ab workout from them.

So, it was you who had them out when I wanted them! :lol:

ScarlettDrawl 12-29-2005 01:43 PM

I've been thinking about getting the Tae Bo Bootcamp, but was hesitant as to whether or not I could do it. I think I will go ahead and order it! Right now, I have only two videos...WATP 3 mile and an ancient Flo-Jo (she was a track star way back when) workout tape that I used to love but can't use as I don't have a VCR! I want something that will kick my butt a little more that WATP so hopefully Tae Bo is what I'm looking for.

~~Sunshine~~ 12-29-2005 02:16 PM

THe only videos I have used are Richard Simmons sweatin to the oldies!! Love them!

DollyR 12-30-2005 01:55 AM

I just ordered the Walk Away the Pounds dvds. I got the Get Up and Get Started 1 and 2 mile workout and I also got the 3 mile Super Fat Burning one. I did TaeBo about six years ago and loved it but partially tore my achilles because I did not stretch out enough before the tapes. I wish I could do Tae Bo again. I think I was aroun 247 when I did Tae Bo. It worked really well for me but I have a tendency towards really tight calf muscles etc......and well I should of stretched more when I did it.