Old 12-14-2005, 11:27 AM   #1  
Losin It For GOOD!

Default Triggers/ Emotional Eating

As I know I benefit from hearing y'all's discoveries regarding your eating/etc, thought I would share some of mine.

This morning, I binged. After, I realized why.

#1 - got in fight with DH.
#2 - fight made me want to eat.
#3 - dh wants me to stop binging, and lose weight, so eating is direct way to subconciously "get back" at him.
#4 - realized at end of binge all of these reasons FOR binge.

So, I think that as we discover the "chain of events" that leads to binging or whatever our problems are, we can start to dismantle the chain.

Plan for next time:
#1 - try to avoid fights with DH before mealtimes when I'm hungry anyway.
#2 - realize that it is not about "getting back" at dh, it is about changing my life for the better.
#3 - remember uncomfortable feelings and frustration with self AFTER binge.
#4 - vent in journal or online or to friend instead of eating.
BA99TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 11:43 AM   #2  
YP1
Sub-4 marathon runner!

S/C/G: 260/156/148-152

Height: 5 9

The big one is that I may feel down, but food won't help. Chocolate may make me feel better for 10 minutes, but after that I've still got the same reasons I was feeling down in the first place, plus potential negative feelings from eating the chocolate. After the taste fades what exactly is left? Just the calories, I'm afraid!

Which is why I don't mind indulging when I'm eating out in good company. Then you do have the memories of a fantastic night out or whatever, and the food is part of that. But just eating alone to make me feel better doesn't work long term, simple as that.

Also, it's far harder to binge if you don't have the unhealthy stuff in the house in the first place.
YP1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 11:49 AM   #3  
IR/PCOS/Pre-Diabetic

S/C/G: 310/*ticker*/150

Height: 5'4"

I love your plan. I think that learning why we do what we do and planning for different reactions/behavior next time is a very important process of lifestyle change.

I especially like the step where you remember how uncomfortable/frustrated you were last time. I use that sort of visualization fairly often when tempted to blow up or make a poor food choice. I envisage how greasy it will feel in my mouth, or how bloated I'll feel afterward, or how icky my stomach will feel, and my interest in it wanes.

I binge when I'm bored or stressed. My plan includes different reactions (like finding something to do other than watching TV), but it also includes checking to see if I'm hungry. A high-protein snack like some cottage cheese or herring will often satisfy me for very few calories. And it seems to make the binge-cravings go away somewhat.
synger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 12:25 PM   #4  

I can binge rotten on anything, bad food, good food etc. So I try to only have food I have to do stuff with in the house. Muesli bars, yoghurts etc can all go in a binge.

I love your strategy, be sure to put in place things you can do instead of eating. Journalling is great if your in that sort of mood, but when I am really angry or stressed I'm not in touch with my feelings enough to journal or even speak, which is why I used to resort to food.

I have a pretty comprehensive list of stuff I do instead ranging from knitting (I have a scarf in progress under my coffee table), going for a walk, going out to the gym and lifting weights, making a loaf of bread (kneading dough is rather good, visualising dh's head - ask me how I know!) - as long as its healthy bread!!!!

Emotionally Triggered Eating was my main issue I had to overcome, and I am stunned how well I have done with this. It's not always easy, and sometimes I get tempted to "eat away a problem" but I know it won't work, and it'll hamper my progress.
kykaree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 12:39 PM   #5  
Born Loser

S/C/G: 490/See Tracker/245

I agree with Helen. For me I think of what I'm going to feel like the next day and how disappointed I will be in myself and for the most part that works. At least for the eating alone binges. I still struggle in some social events when I'm having fun and eating and drinking.

Good for you Beth for thinking through this and getting a plan together for next time. I know you will be successful.
howie6267 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 03:09 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 344/279.1/???

Height: 5'6"

You have a great plan in place there Beth Anne. Hopefully DH will get on board more with you so you can make all these changes habits and it will be 2nd nature to do something healthy the next time a fight rolls around.
barbygirl43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 06:31 PM   #7  
Made in England!

S/C/G: 260/260/169

Height: 5' 4"

Good plan, Beth Anne.

My personal battle with food is almost exclusively emotionally orientated rather than physically, and I've found it's helped to be able to establish what lies behind my "need" to turn to food in moments of stress. Through this, I know I'm bingeing much less than before. I've yet to get to grips with why I sometimes go dolally tap with food on an evening though, and I guess I need to put more effort into that one....
DishyFishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 09:22 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DishyFishy
. . .I sometimes go dolally tap with food ...
I love this expression! I'm trying to think of an American expression that would be equivalent and can't come up with a darn thing. I want to use this at my next Weight Watcher meeting.

On a serious note, I know what you mean about being not being able to come to grips with it. After dealing with this for three years now during weight loss, it appears to, unfortunately, be a lifelong struggle that we'll win or lose on any given day.
Sheila53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 05:37 AM   #9  

You know Beth Ann, what really stuck out to me in what you said there was about eating to get back at you DH. I really REALLY recognised that! My last boyfriend would go on and on about how he wanted me to lose weight not for him but just to be healthier. I knew it wasnt true (as there was very little going on elsewhere if you get my drift!) and I used to eat infront of him like an act of rebellion. Well over 4 years I gained 4 stone so that showed him didnt it?

Well no of course it didnt. It showed me and that's why I'm posting really cos now I have to lose those 4 stone..and more. Although I now have a fella who adores me whatever weight I am, but does encourage me in my weight loss, I've decided that really its all down to me. Only I can 'save' myself and I can start by stopping the eating as rebellion thing I've been doing because really its a bit silly innit?

Hope you dont mind me joining in with my two pennies.

Claire xxx
coley144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 08:09 AM   #10  
One pound at a time...

Beth Anne, I love how you broke down the cause and effect of emotional eating too. I am still battling the whole emotion eating thing, and I believe it will always be my Achille's Heel for the rest of my life. The trick for me is to not set myself up for failure. I do not stock the junkfood in the house anymore,so that helps. However, it is the side trips on the way home to the grocery store that I have to put a stop to. It is almost like a go into autopilot. Definately stress is a trigger for me, as well as boredom.
ChocLabLover is offline   Reply With Quote