Old 12-14-2005, 11:42 AM   #1  
IR/PCOS/Pre-Diabetic

S/C/G: 310/*ticker*/150

Height: 5'4"

Default Putting things into perspective.

My vent of the day. Warning, it got longer than I expected.

-----------------------------------

I was reading an article in Reuters Health about a study showing how obese patients who took the diet drug Meridia and received intensive weight-loss counseling lost twice as much weight as patients who only took the drug.
(http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/n...ory_28146.html)

As my four-year-old is getting fond of saying, "DUH!"

Aside from that gem of wisdom, there were a couple other things that made me envision Gem's cherubic little face twisted with exasperation. (It's cute now. In a few years it's going to be insufferable.)

Those who JUST had the counseling lost as much if not more than those who JUST took the drug. (Makes you realize how important the behavior-modification aspect of lifestyle change is.) The combination of drug plus counseling increased weight loss two-fold. And those who regularly logged their food consumption lost almost three times more than those who did not track what they ate.

But while all of this seems like pretty straight-forward common sense to me, one of the other lines in the article really caught my eye.

"U.S. Food and Drug Administration regards a diet pill as effective if it helps a 200-pound (90-kg) person lose at least 10 pounds (4.5 kg) in a year. Although most obese people need to lose far more than 10 pounds (4.5 kg), doctors contend even a moderate loss has health benefits."

Think about this, especially in terms of the "magic bullet" that everyone wants to find with weight loss. Ten pounds a year. That's less than one pound a MONTH. And that's what the FDA regards as "effective."

Ten pounds may seem like a drop in the bucket when I see the 100+ hanging on my body that I need to lose. Ten pounds may seem like nothing to those of us who are morbidly obese and struggling with health issues that are only compounded by our weight.

But ten pounds is a TRIUMPH! Ten pounds is cause for celebration! Ten pounds is "effective" and "moderate" and confers "health benefits."

And ten pounds lost in a year means that next year, I only have to see 90 pounds hanging on this body. It means I've moved forward. It means I've succeeded in learning healthier eating and living habits and putting them into practice. Even if I don't do it right 100 percent of the time, I'm doing it. I'm learning. It's becoming part of me, of who I am, of my goals and my choices and my lifestyle.

And it sure as **** beats the 3-5 pounds I've gained every year since I can remember!! Fighting that "creep" and beating it back and then some, is a triumph that we can all celebrate!

So quit it! Quit beating yourself up over one "bad day" or one week "off program." Quit hating your body because it isn't perfect, or even as responsive as you'd like. Quit despairing when you don't lose every single week, or you lose "only" a pound, or when you hit a plateau where your body is re-settling in at a lower weight for a month or so. It happens. It's normal. It's a process, not an overnight thing. It's a lifestyle.

Own it and keep going.

There is no magic bullet. There is mindful eating, and exercise, and portion control, and journalling, and making healthy food choices, and making plans ahead of time for the situations where there won't be healthy food choices, and yes, there is falling down and *****ing and depression and self-loathing... and then there's picking yourself up and going on.

But most of all, there is triumph. Celebrate your life, every pound of it, every bite and step and laugh and tear of it. It's the only one you've got.

*steps off her soapbox and puts it in the corner for the next person to use*
synger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 12:14 PM   #2  
Beauty, Brawn and Brains!

S/C/G: 298(O)/268.2(RS)/247.9.0/175.0

Height: 5'9''

Quote:
Originally Posted by synger
Own it and keep going.
Oprah is fond of saying the same thing. Own your weight. A lot of people think that they can't do this because they're embarrassed of their weight but it's about owning the process as well.

Funny enough, last night I had a dream where I was standing beside this girl at work and we had to get on the scale and right down our weight. She was pissed off because she was writing down, "132" and her former weight was "119." I wrote down "268" with great flourish. Hee!
Goddess Jessica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 12:52 PM   #3  
Born Loser

S/C/G: 490/See Tracker/245

Good post and good outlook Synger.
howie6267 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 02:57 PM   #4  
Made in England!

S/C/G: 260/260/169

Height: 5' 4"

Great post, Synger!

When I'm thinking straight and feeling good about myself, I'm genuinely happy with my progress and the things I'm doing to get rid of this excess weight. I'm actually proud to tell anyone who asks what I weigh. But there are still times when depression takes hold and my whole outlook changes in a snap. Then I'm guilty of desperately wanting the pounds to fall off me, and it seems that no matter how much effort I put in, I'm constantly berating myself for not doing enough. It's definitely all a "head thing" with me.

Quote:
So quit it! Quit beating yourself up over one "bad day" or one week "off program." Quit hating your body because it isn't perfect, or even as responsive as you'd like. Quit despairing when you don't lose every single week, or you lose "only" a pound, or when you hit a plateau where your body is re-settling in at a lower weight for a month or so. It happens. It's normal. It's a process, not an overnight thing. It's a lifestyle.
I love that you wrote this. And I'm working on it!

I like your dream, Goddess Jessica. There's a powerful and positive message in there.
DishyFishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 03:18 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 344/279.1/???

Height: 5'6"

that is a great post. thanks for sharing it with us.
barbygirl43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 03:27 PM   #6  
Jennifer

I really needed this right now, Synger. I find myself just getting exasperated with this last 10-20 pounds I have to lose and feeling like a consummate failure instead of celebrating the fact that I've lost 110 freakin' pounds! It's really maddening what we humans (and especially women) put ourselves through.

Great reminder. I really appreciate the post!
teapotdynamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 04:43 PM   #7  
Long Time Member

Height: 5'6

Quote:
Your whole post was great, but I was especially taken by this part. I think that almost all of us will see ourselves in there somewhere. My body isn't as responsive as I'd like. And I despair when I don't lose every single week, or I lose "only" a pound, even though I know better.

From now on, I promise to QUIT IT!!!
Sandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 05:17 PM   #8  
Shairing her ESH...

S/C/G: 350/321/TBD

Height: 5'6"

Cut and pasted to my blog....thanks Synger!!
Jen415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 06:31 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

excellent! Can we sticky that?
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 05:50 AM   #10  

Fab post! Exactly what I was thinking too. I read in my New Scientist that they think 10 pounds is a really good result and I thought 'Whoo! I've done twice that!' It did make me feel much better, because whilst its coming off its not coming off as fast as some people on here, and I had been feeling a bit disheartened. But thinking that you've already made a massive change spurs you on to make more.

Thanks for posting.
coley144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 08:02 AM   #11  
One pound at a time...

Not much else I can add, except what a great post!
ChocLabLover is offline   Reply With Quote