Old 10-10-2005, 09:29 PM   #1  
for me, for them

S/C/G: 345/ticker

Height: 5'10"

Question Any walkers?

Walking is my main method of exercise (not sole, though). I was wondering if there was anyone else like that and how they've adapted walking into a "routine". At present, I'm walking two to three times a day at a minimum of a mile each time(sometimes four, I have a doggie). What I'm asking, I guess, is how far do you walk;treadmill or outside; what have your results been; etc? Are there any "structured" walking/jogging programs out there? (I threw the jogging in there you can tell I have high hopes but I'd have to ease into it!) Thanks in advance!
ScarlettDrawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 09:47 PM   #2  

Yes, my husband & I walk our dog 3 times a week & I have an elliptical trainer as well. We have set nights for walking that work with our schedule and we have a designated walking route. We have added to the duration & intensity as we've gone along. We are both losing weight, feeling great & our dog is doing really well too. We have to trot her for a minimum of 30 minutes/3 days a week to keep her in shape for dog agility, so it keeps us honest and motivates us even when we don't really feel like it.
TakinBabySteps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 10:13 PM   #3  
Obsessive Poster

Hi Shannon,

(I'm going to respond to your e-mail very soon.) I walk, too! When I get really ambitious, I'll turn up the treadmill and jog. Right now, I'm waking up and getting right on the treadmill at 8am (or at least that's what I'm trying to do). I decided to start at 3 mph for 30 minutes and increase the speed .1mph every two days. I'm planning on adding an extra 30 minute session around 3 in the afternoon. While it's still not too cold, I'm going to take my (2 year old) puppy for evening walks.

There is a site that looks like it might be pretty good: http://www.thewalkingsite.com/. It seems like it's aimed at beginners, though, so it might not be appropriate.

I guess it's too soon for me to tell you my results. I like walking on the treadmill because I can blast music, hold onto the handles and close my eyes. Then, I alternate between focusing on my breathing and mouthing the words to my favorite songs. When I walk outside, I have to keep my eyes open, and I freeze my buns off.
WinterWonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 11:48 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

I usually exercise on the treadmill in the morning. I like the treadmill for many of the reasons WinterWonder mentioned... I like to blast music and sing along (badly and loudly). I also like the control of seeing how fast I'm going and no excuse for weather. Right now I'm trying to keep at 30 min/day, 5 days a week. I only just started exercising less than a month ago (and have had one small health set-back), and am focusing on slowly building speed. I think I won't be able to make it to a jog, as I now have some back problems.

We are also trying to walk our pugs as much as possible, but their walk is only 10-15 minutes and we let them stop too frequently to "smell the roses" and such for it to be really aerobic.
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005, 09:13 AM   #5  
for me, for them

S/C/G: 345/ticker

Height: 5'10"

Thanks everyone. I think I've been doing pretty much what you guys are. To start I was walking 30 minutes a day 5 days a week. I am up to about 45 most days now. The downside is I don't have a treadmill at home, and the gym I have access to (without shelling out more money) is my university gym. Have you ever been to a campus gym... yeah, skinny galore. Hopefully I can work up my confidence to go in there, but in the meantime... It's the great outdoors for me.
ScarlettDrawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005, 09:48 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

Shannon -- I know what you mean. I work at a college and can't even contemplate working out there among my skinny students. Husband and I are considering gym memberships elsewhere to fit in the weights.
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005, 12:04 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 344/279.1/???

Height: 5'6"

I walk to the walk away the pounds tapes (WATP). I try to do the 3 mile and 4 mile tapes in the mornings. I will sometimes throw in the walk and jog in the evenings (30 minutes) with my stepson. I also will walk a la WATP in the evenings while watching TV if I missed my morning workout.
barbygirl43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005, 01:54 PM   #8  

Hi Shannon, I lost the bulk of my weight with simple, good 'ol walking. I too, couldn't face the skinny minnies at the gym, so I opted for a treadmill. I started off very slowly (like 0.8 mph) and went for 30 min. at a stretch. I gradually built up my speed and distance, but usually kept it to around 30-45 min. a day. One thing that really helped me was checking out books on tape from my library and only allowing myself to listen while walking. It was a great way to pass the time, and sometimes I stayed on even longer just to hear what was about to happen next! Now I've abandoned my treadmill (after the blasted thing died on me, I guess I wore the darn thing out!!) for my beloved Gazelle, which I use religiously; I love that thing!

Although I've never used them, I think the WATP tapes would be an excellent choice, and definitely what I would use if I didn't have access to my Gazelle or a treadmill. I'm really just not an outdoorsy kinda gal, could you tell?!!

Good luck with your exercise endeavors, whether they be indoor or out, as long as you're moving, that's all that matters, right?!

Beverly
boiaby is offline   Reply With Quote