3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   100 lb. Club (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/100-lb-club-55/)
-   -   What is going on?? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/100-lb-club/66346-what-going.html)

TakinBabySteps 10-06-2005 04:59 PM

Things really changed for me when I started realizing that the scale was just a tool. It's only one measure of success. Exercising daily is a HUGE success. As Sarah said, more than 90% (I think it's more like 98% but I don't have the stat in front of me) of successful long term weight loss is by people who exercise 5-7 times a week. So getting that started early is a huge step in the right direction!

As my name indicates, I am a big believer in taking small steps in the right direction. I decided to attack my weight loss in baby steps in two main categories: diet and exercise. I would work on small manageable goals in that direction. For example, when I started exercising, I made a promise to myself that I was going to exercise every day unless I was sick. And I started adding 2 minutes a week every week. I'm up to 40 minutes now, and I feel GREAT. That alone makes the exercise worthwhile, even if I never lost a pound.

Then you have the category of diet. Think small changes. One good change is to get at least 8 glasses of water in a day. When you are comfortable with that, start thinking about other changes you can make to eat healthy.

I know you want to lose weight before your trip & trust me, all of us have events coming up that we want to be lighter for. I, myself, have to fly this spring to see my first niece or nephew (I am REALLY excited to be an aunt!) and I want to be thinner so I can fly more comfortably. But all you can do is steadily pursue your goal to the best of your ability, and the number on the scale is what it is. But I promise you, if you regularly exercise and eat healthy, you WILL lose weight. If you're like me, it won't be as fast as you like, but it WILL come off. But losing weight is hard work, and you have to approach it like a marathon. It doesn't matter how long it takes, as long as you get there.

LovesBassets 10-06-2005 06:42 PM

Hi Darla :)

CONGRATS on doing your exercise EVERY DAY!!! That is HUGE. I agree 100% with everyone else who says it takes time -- sometimes a l..o..n..g time -- to lose the weight. Also, it is really important that you not become a slave to the scale. I don't think I need to add anything else as everyone has already given you FABULOUS advice!

But I do just want to comment on this:

Quote:

Originally Posted by puff0518
Although drinking water will probably make me retain even more at first, until my body gets used to actually having the water it needs...

This is going to sound weird -- and totally counter-intuitive -- but the more water you drink, the more willing your body is to release it. When you drink enough (or more than enough) water, it stimulates your diurehetic hormones to RELEASE water and you are therefore much less likely to retain water. So, if you don't drink enough water, your body (actually your anti-diurehetic hormones) will hold on to every single drop that it needs. Which is why having very yellow urine is a bad thing. Darker urine = more concentrated urine = not much water being released from your body.

(Just a little random science fact for ya :) .)

Also, recent studies have shown that the water found in milk, tea, coffee, soda, food, etc. DOES count toward your daily intake.

(Just another little random science fact for ya :) .)

You're doing fantastic, Darla, you REALLY are! The beginning is always rough...I'm sure it was one of the hardest parts for just about everyone on 3FC -- it CERTAINLY was for me. But you can do it! We believe in you, chickie!!! :D

By the way, it is HIGHLY likely that I've misspelled "diurehetic"

luflic 10-06-2005 07:19 PM

Puff sure am glad you made this post. I too was feeling the errr of not loosing this week. But reading the wisdom posted here as given me new determingation and motivation. Thank you to ALL who posted. You truly are inspiring!

DeterminedInGA 10-06-2005 08:00 PM

I'm at a loss for anything original to say so...Hang in there! :)

alphabetsoup 10-08-2005 11:11 AM

Hang in there and you WILL be rewarded! Working out everyday is just so awesome! I know how it is to start exercising and be sooo motivated and then not make it past Day 3! You are definitely on the right track and that scale WILL start moving soon!

I only weigh once a week (once a day is just too much for me) and I've really made huge strides in not getting so emotional about the number. My body weight REALLY fluctuates - within about 6 pounds! I understand that now and it really gives me some perspective.

You keep at it! You are doing great!! Before you know it, you'll be racing down those roller coasters!

QUOTE: For example I don't get into a neurotic frenzy about my social security number or my telephone number.

:lol: I LOVE THAT!! :lol:

Amanda Panda 10-08-2005 05:06 PM

Well said fx!!

My scale says I am up 2lb this morning, so I have totally felt rotten about it - even though my clothes are getting looser all the time and my stomach is as flat as it's ever been in my life! When I look in the mirror, I am liking the shape my body is getting - when I look at the numbers on the scale I get totally depressed!

DARLA - I agree it will be water retention - it is something that happens in the first couple of weeks of exercising. When I first joined the gym, I didn't lose any weight for the first whole month - but after that it really started shifting.

Hang in there!

Love Amanda x