Should I believe it?

• I subscribe to Fitness magazine and I have also read this in another magazine... It says that if you multiply your goal weight by 14 if you do no exercise, 15 if you do moderate (most people should multiply by 15), or 16 if you are VERY active... it equals out to the amount of calories you should eat a day.

Mine is 2100 calories a day. Everyone seems like they post that they eat less than 1800 daily. Am I a nut if I eat about 2000 a day? It seems to be working for me. I'm starting to lose again... but I'm worried I'm doing something wrong.

Also, that equation works well for realizing how many calories you have to eat a day to maintain the weight you're at. I did mine at 300 pounds and it was terrifying! 4500 a day! EWWW!
  • In nurses training I was taught to use 13, 14 and 15 but 15 was for men who do heavy lifting type jobs all day. We could use 12 if folks were very sedentary. It actually does work out pretty well.
  • Well I just did the math for me and it works out to 2025 calories for me. This seems about right. I generally don't eat anywhere near that on any given week day but I don't count any calories on the weekend. So it may average out to 2025 once the weekends are factored in.

~Dee
  • I've always gone by 13 - I don't even remember where I read it. Some cookbook, I think. I've steadily lost by multiplying my current weight by 13 and then subtracting 500-1000 calories for a 1-2 lb a week weight loss. I rarely eat the same number of calories day after day but my average over a week almost always comes back to the formula number.

Of course, as anyone will tell you, there are lots and lots of variables that come into play. So, while this is something to give you a starting point keep in mind that some tweaking may be necessary. Still, if it is working for you now I wouldn't worry that you are doing something wrong. If it stops working for you then evaluate your situation and try something else.
  • All of you are so supportive and you give good advice too. You can't lose with that.

Oh, wait... yes we can!
  • Awesome name UntilMOMMI

I love it!
    And you're so right.....We CAN lose with exactly that!!!!

xoxo
    Linda
  • I've never done the math but it makes sense. I know that if you don't eat enough your metabolism goes into starvation mode (ie slows to a crawl from famine days) It doesn't know you have ample reserves. I've never been a calorie counter. Do most of you do that? I'm trying to watch fat, carbs and portions more than doing counts.
  • I am following the 3-Hour-Diet (www.jorgecruise.com). Three balanced meals a day at 400 calories, plus two snacks in between and a treat after dinner. Because I have so much to lose, I can have 400 calories worth of snacks twice a day. That's a 2000 calorie day! Once I get below 300, the snacks drop to 300 each time.

The plan teaches you portion control more than calorie counting. It makes the most sense out of anything I've read (and I've read alot of diets!) This is a plan that does not have forbidden foods, so if I want a cookie as my treat, I can have it!

It's all about control, people.....you think I would have learned this before now....