Help I need some advice on safe places to eat

• I am leaving (on a jet plane) on Sunday and will be in L.A. on Monday. That begins a month long vacation (most of which I hope will be low carb). Chicago is next then Orlando then Greenville SC.

Can someone out there give me some good LC places to eat in all cities as we will be eating out every day. I know I can make most menu choices better but I have heard that there are some restaurant chains that are LC friendly. When I was there 4 yrs ago (1st time doing Atkins) I found it really difficult to get some places to make even the slightest changes.

I want to come back slimmer.

karrier
  • Hi Karrier:

Since low carb is "in" right now, lots of restaurants are jumping on the bandwagon. You can probably find low carb stuff anywhere.....

Don't be afraid to let the server know EXACTLY what you want. If they are a restaurant of any worth they will give you what you want.
  • I know Ruby Tuesday has a low carb menu. I don't know if they are all over the country but on the East coast they are. It's a nice "pub" like place. Applebees has a low cal menu however, I don't know about the carb thing. Just as Jen said, there really are tons of options in most eateries due to the low carb craze going on. Good luck to you!
  • I would think, since you're doing Atkins, that it would be pretty easy to "self-modify" your food in most restaurants, regardless of whether or not they offer specifically LC entrees. If you order a burger, take off the bread, and get veggies or a salad on the side instead of french fries. Order grilled meats, poultry, or fish and again, stick to veggies on the side. You know what you can and cannot eat, so just order accordingly! Explain to your server that you're doing Atkins, and they should be able to help guide you in their establishment's menu specifically (not to mention keeping the bread off the table!) But, ultimately, I would think you would be able to make ordering decisions fairly easily, since you don't have the caloric restrictions that low-cal'ers have, for instance.

I always say, where there's a will, there's a way!
  • Like everyone has said, any decent restaurant will work with you to make sure you get something that will fit into your plan. Plus most restaurants have low carb menus now anyway.
    I know Cracker Barrel restaurants have a low carb menu; they even have low carb bread-the regular wheat (not the sour dough wheat), has 7 carbs, 5 net carbs per slice.
    Hope you have a fantastic and safe trip!
  • TGI Fridays also has a low carb menu.

Have a great trip!!