Old 06-23-2005, 02:36 PM   #1  
Looking for Thin

Question How often do you weigh in?

I am having a hard time not weighing myself everyday. I see the daily fluctations. I don't want to have my mood for the day depending on the scales. I like to weigh in on Saturdays along with my measurements. The problem is that I tend to get on the scales every morning hoping to see a loss. I didn't this morning though. My question is how do you break the habit of jumping on the scales everyday? I am going to try my best to only get on them on Saturdays. Do you have any advice on how to stay off of the scales? I hope this made some sort of sense.
squiggly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005, 02:39 PM   #2  

I moved from Australia to England and left my scales there! That broke the habit!!!! Seriously, that's what I did, I was addicted, and really weight loss is more than what you weigh, give them to a friend or neighbour for safe keeping. Now I weigh in once a week, on a Monday at my gym at work, with my instructor standing over me, who always gives me encouragement, he's fabulous!
kykaree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005, 02:44 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 328/292/135

Height: 5' 1"

I'm fighting the same battle with the demon scales as you, so I know what you mean. I've decided to stay OFF of those stupid things until my weigh in and measurement date at Curves - July 9th. Just getting on those things and seeing a 2 lb gain...when I knew I had been good!...sent me into a 3 day slide. I'm not letting that happen again. You can do it - give them to a coworker, give them to a friend, give them to an enemy - just get rid of them!

Hugs!

M'Chelle
bonnieangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005, 03:13 PM   #4  
YP1
Sub-4 marathon runner!

S/C/G: 260/156/148-152

Height: 5 9

I do weigh myself every day, but I don't read too much into it. I do like seeing the fluctuations though, after a while I start to see patterns which makes it easier to deal with the next time. Also it lets me get a better picture of my average over the week - avoiding a weekly weigh in on my heaviest day!

I know this isn't recommended, and probably wouldn't work for everyone, but I think the most important thing is how you manage your relationship with the scale rather than how often you use it. If it's going to make you upset or frustrated, daily weigh ins aren't a good idea. If it's going to keep you motivated, maybe they are.
YP1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005, 03:40 PM   #5  

I do the same thing as YP1 -- I want to understand the fluctuations. I know that I've stuck to my eating plan and that the scale will eventually catch up.

I have kept a spreadsheet of my daily weight, calories, and carbs and usually do an average for the week. So even though the scale fluctuated all week -- say 187, 186, 185, 185, 185.5, 186, 184.5 -- my average weight for the week is 185.6.
byugrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005, 04:16 PM   #6  
Looking for Thin

Thanks everyone for the advice. It has helped a lot. I have never thought of doing the weekly average thing. I think I might try that after this Saturday's weigh in. THnak you all fo ryour advice.
Old 06-24-2005, 09:30 AM   #7  
IR/PCOS/Pre-Diabetic

S/C/G: 310/*ticker*/150

Height: 5'4"

I like the idea of the weekly average. I weigh myself every day anyway. *laughs* But as for fluctuations in the scale, they are real and they can be considerable.

I've seen as much as a five pound difference between weighing immediately after getting up and an hour later. Or before and after a shower. So I take the scale weight as a guideline, not a hard and fast thing. I know it changes. My body is a living, breathing thing. Some days the hormones are higher, and so is my weight. Other days I'm holding water from eating too much salt or having a drink of alcohol the night before. It happens. It's the long-term trend you need to look for, no matter how often you actually weigh yourself. And do NOT get down on yourself for a bit of gain...unless you see that gain reflected for a couple of days.
synger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2005, 09:36 AM   #8  
Starting over once again

I try to weigh in only on Mondays. Since I don't have scales here at home, I have to wait until I get to work & use the scales there. I know it isn't an actual real weight since I have my clothes on and since I'm not a stripper, I can't take my clothes off at work to weigh!!!
natenkayliesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2005, 10:30 AM   #9  

I like to weigh in on Friday mornings. I used to be a bit more compulsive about it, but it would depress me if I didn't see the progress I was looking for. Once a week is less stressful for me, plus it gives me kind of a goal-day to work at!
girl least likely to is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2005, 11:28 AM   #10  
Shairing her ESH...

S/C/G: 350/321/TBD

Height: 5'6"

I weigh daily, but I don't live and die by the scales. It does help me figure out trends in my weight. I also pay attention to my clothes.
Jen415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2005, 12:10 PM   #11  

About 10 times a day. Minimum. :hide:
Rtael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2005, 12:59 PM   #12  
Looking for Thin

When I do weigh, I weigh first thing in the morning. I also weigh butt naked. I am consistent with that. I did weigh this morning and the scales was down from the middle of the week. I weighed in at 256 on Wednesday and 253 this morning. I think my body was rebelling against all the exercise. I'm happy now.
Old 06-24-2005, 01:24 PM   #13  

I weigh every day because if I don't, I find it easier to get off plan. But it's not the only number I pay attention to -- I look at my miles, my weights, my steps, my water -- things I can control. I know that the scale is just a reflection of what I am doing and so it's sort of an experimental thing for me (I'm an engineer so fiddling with variables is what I love) -- I want to see what works best for me. It's taken me a while to get to that point, because it used to just crush me if I'd been working hard and nothing happened scale-wise.

But if you don't want to weigh every day, take your scale somewhere else. Put it up high in a closet so you'd have to move some stuff to get to it or put it in your car trunk so you'd need to remember to bring it in the night before.
Keillynsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2005, 01:55 PM   #14  
Made in England!

S/C/G: 260/260/169

Height: 5' 4"

I'm dead chuffed with myself! I've got my compulsive need to weigh myself down to last thing at night and first thing in the morning. It was a big help moving the scales from the bathroom to the bedroom.

That said, I only accept my Tuesday morning reading as my "true" weight. The rest are there because... well, because I'm compulsive. Often, I can't even remember what the number on the scale was just 10 minutes after I weigh. It's just another ritual I use to keep me grounded.
DishyFishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2005, 02:13 PM   #15  
Black Belt In Training

S/C/G: 289/243/160

Height: 5' 7"

When I bought my scale a few weeks ago I intended to weigh myself only on Sundays but I've been weighing myself on Wednesdays and Sundays. I average out the two numbers the scale gives me, as my scale is a cheap one I feel this gives me a more accurate number. I do weigh myself other days as the mood strikes me, but I don't count those numbers.
taekwondomom is offline   Reply With Quote