Old 06-22-2005, 04:07 AM   #1  

Default Help, I'm sliding off track!

Help!!! I can feel myself sliding off track , and I am looking for some support, wisdom, advice, stern words - whatever you guys can come up with!

I have been struggling with exercise for a while, and was living with that, and eating very healthily.....I have had 3 days of eating very unhealthily , and I really want it to stop. Eating badly makes me feel bloated, tired, lethargic and it gives me indigestion......you think that would be a good reason to get back with the healthy eating, huh ?

Anyway, I have some baby steps planned for today (fruit for breakfast, salad for lunch, something healthy from the freezer for supper), plus a trip to the swimming pool followed by healthy food shopping tomorrow....

I am determined not to go into that horrible downwards spiral that we all know oh-so-well!
artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005, 04:37 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 220/210/145

Height: 5'4

There is nothing wrong with a bump in the road. We just have to make sure it doesn't become a mountain. I think the reason some people are successful at weight loss is because no matter what mistakes they make they keep going.I have always had an all or nothing atttitude and that has hurt me. One mistake and I have always said screw it. Well, no longer. That kind of thinking had gotten me to 227 pds and hating the way I looked. Today is a new day and I can already notice what healthy eating feels like it feels better than any food that has entered my mouth. Don't be to strict, we all no what that causes. You can do this. I look at my boys and want to live a long time. If I had cancer and to live all I had to do was follow a healthy diet,wouldn't we all do it.
Vicki in Okinawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005, 07:18 AM   #3  

We all slide off track once and a while and its to be expected. Most of us who are dieting went from eating all the sweets and salts to eating greens and even more greens But I think you have to look at the whole picture. Think of your whole diet thus far when you stayed on track and think of how good it felt to loose the weight and also how healthy you felt. Trading that feeling in for a moment of indulgence isnt worth it.
All you have to do is try again. And if you slide again, keep on trying. Remember winning isn't everything, but trying to win is something!

I will tell you something that has really helped me with cravings and helping me to stay on track. I made myself a little weightloss booklet and everytime I feel a craving I plan a meal, or look at my goals and see how well I am doing. If that doesn't help then I try to tell myself "Do I really need that bag of chips now? I have the rest of my life to eata bag of chips, it can wait" and if that doesn't work I go off to bed so I can't eat

Well I hope that was helpful

Goodluck!
amandag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005, 09:43 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 344/279.1/???

Height: 5'6"

At least you are realizing that it is happening and you are working toward getting it fixed. I think you are right to take the baby steps to get back on track and not worry about trying to tackle it all again.
barbygirl43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005, 10:54 AM   #5  
Healthy and Positive!

Just the fact that you are posting here and telling us about it shows me that you are going to be okay and back on track.. I know when I'm being naughty the last place you'll find me is on the boards! LOL, that's why I've been gone for soooo long!

Hang in there! Do mostly healthy stuff today and tomorrow and the next day....and you'll get there!
Athenaphoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005, 10:58 AM   #6  
Born Loser

S/C/G: 490/See Tracker/245

What Vicki said is exactly right. To be successful you have to keep going even after the mistakes. And don't beat yourself up for them. If you look at my weight chart on my web site you will see some 8 and 9 pound gains. One was over a 4 week period and a couple others over a two week period. Then the furthur down you go the gains are just over a 1 week period. One of those was not a result of being off plan even. So what I'm saying is that you just have to keep going. Mistakes will happen and we do have to pay for them. However the pay off for sticking to it is much bigger. I could be saying I gained 34 lbs this past year and that would be true. However I choose to say I have lost 131 lbs this year.

So get back at it and don't look back.
howie6267 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005, 11:11 AM   #7  

Artist, you are doing so well. What a fantastic loss you have had. I think you are on the path to not sliding because you are thinking about what is happening and planning on how to get back on top of things. Slides happen, inevitable part of having to eat to live. Good for you for reaching out for support, we are all in the same boat and rooting for you to continue with your healthy living! Happy swimming....One little tiny suggestion I have is to make sure you are getting enough protein with your carbs so your blood sugars aren't going nuts and pushing to crave and eat the very things that will sabotage your best efforts. That is a real problem for me and I have to be careful about what food combinations I have or otherwise I swear something biochemical happens within the body and it is craving city - only problem is nothing satisfies the craving until things become regulated again. Don't know if that will help you but it does me. Best of luck with today and I know you will be back on track...Let us know how you are doing.
Jenaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005, 12:10 PM   #8  
Looking for Thin

You have acknowledged that you are having a bad day. I think that is the first step to overcoming it. YOu can do this. You have done so well. You'll make it through this. I know you will. Remember the end picture!
squiggly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005, 05:20 PM   #9  

Thanks so much for all your words of wisdom and support. I'm the kind of person who doesn't find it easy to ask for help, but I figured that it might just give me the strength to go on.....and it has! I find it very comforting and inspiring that those of you who are much further down this road than I am have had the same bumps and diversions, and have found a way to plough on regardless......

So today I have eaten healthily, walked for 20 mins and swam for 20 minutes......baby steps, all the way.......
Old 06-22-2005, 07:21 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 220/210/145

Height: 5'4

WAY TO GO
Vicki in Okinawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005, 07:25 PM   #11  
I climb mountains!

S/C/G: 284/208/145

Thumbs up

Aw, Claire, my friend -- I'm sorry I wasn't here earlier to respond when you needed it. I want you to know that I'm very, very proud of you for first coming here and asking for help, and then treating yourself with love and following through on your commitments to yourself today. Vicky and Howie are absolutely right about what sets the really successful losers apart from the pack. NOONE is perfect, Claire -- it's not the misstep where folks get lost, it's their RESPONSE to that misstep that makes or breaks them.

The only thing you have control over is what you do NOW. And that's when you begin again. Not tomorrow, not later on tonight....but NOW. And then you just get right back in the groove!

It's a long haul, spread out over many, many days........make healthy choices most of the time, and you'll be just fine. I wish I could give you a hug -- -- I really am just SO, SO, SO happy for you!!!

You own this, girl. Just take it, and it's yours. The big secret is that it's ALL under your control, forever.....even after a slip-up.....as long as you make a decision to make healthy, loving choices NOW.

Like turning a page.....
lessofsarahtolove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005, 04:41 AM   #12  

Sarah

Thanks so much for your inspiring words and support! If I can find just a fraction of the gracefulness and strength with which you are fighting your lymphoma, I could easily win the healthy lifestyle battle!

How are you doing? I hope you are feeling better.....we miss you, and need you back here soon to inspire and motivate us!

And you are right on your points about taking control, and how we respond to the mis-step.......I am sure there is a good explanation out there somewhere to tell me why it is I occasionally choose to give up taking control and making healthy decisions......but to be honest, I really don't understand it!
Old 06-23-2005, 12:00 PM   #13  
I climb mountains!

S/C/G: 284/208/145

Claire, I'm doing ok -- thanks for asking! I am feeling a little more energetic today, and have done some stuff that signifies "the end" of this chapter. I put away about 15 prescription bottles -- a corner of my kitchen counter has been like a pharmacy, or a druggist, as you might say! I replaced them with vitamins and supplements -- all of them verboten while in treatment. I organized my weights and dusted off my Cross Bow (like a Bow Flex, not an archery weapon!) I even faced out all my exercise DVDs so they're readily accessible when I'm ready. Can you tell I'm mentally ready?? Yesterday I took a very leisurely walk around the neighborhood with Lorraine and my pup Louie -- it was about 15 minutes of pleasure and then thank God we were home! I had to rest for a few minutes before walking up my 6 front steps. Thanks to the chemo regimen, my lungs are shot, my heart is in all likelihood damaged, and my leg muscles are for crap -- but damned if it doesn't look like I kicked some cancer ***! Oh well, better off fighting the enemy you know.

Baby steps, though, right? I am told I should be ready to return to work in 2 months, begin to feel much closer to normal in 6 months, and then ultimately return to something close to my pre-treatment levels in a year. I just need to keep reminding myself of that as I'm pushing myself to workout for 9-10 hours a week.

As for the whys of your occasionally giving up control and making unhealthy decisions -- well of course only you would know the answer to that -- but know you're not alone! Sadly, most humans are guilty of this in one form or another -- this unfortunate phenomenon is not limited to just those struggling to lose weight, as we all know. Look at all the cheaters, the liars, the repeat felons, the irresponsible patients, the smokers and other addicts and the rest!

Getting back to you, though, Claire, it could be that you don't feel you deserve to achieve success, or that you are afraid of what might happen if you actually achieved it. Or it could be simply that you're bored! Or you're sick of this being such a focus in your life! Or maybe you're occasionally lazy and the organization, the preparedness, the constantly saying, "No thank you" and all the rest of it just becomes too much at times. Who the **** knows? The important thing now is not that you answer the whys, but instead quicken your reaction time. Of course it's important to sort out the root cause of the slip-ups (that's part of the process of becoming healthy inside and out) -- but in the meantime you want to continue to move forward. Just as you have, through 40 pounds!!! And just as you did yesterday, when you turned it around and reclaimed control. Just to know you can do that is power, don't you think?

I think you're awesome, Claire -- and I'm so glad you're still here. I'll be needing you when I'm getting back in the saddle myself!
lessofsarahtolove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005, 12:12 PM   #14  

Sarah,

I've admired you before but I now officially worship the ground you walk on -- you are an unending source of inspiration!
Keillynsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005, 02:39 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 328/292/135

Height: 5' 1"

Claire - good for you for taking control, as Sarah says! Just knowing that you can come back to it after a "slide" will get you where you want to go. Way to go!

Sarah - You are such a shining example for everyone here! I know just reading about what you have gone through and conquered makes me rethink the way I look at weightloss. Sometimes I obsess over it so much, but reading what you have been through puts it in perspective. Many hugs go out to you, Sarah - we are so lucky to have you here!

Hugs!

M'Chelle
bonnieangel is offline   Reply With Quote