Old 03-12-2005, 07:05 PM   #16  

I count fat grams and it has helped me lose 10 pounds so far. It's been a long time, this is the 3rd month, but so far its working, I TRY to stay at 35 grams of fat per day, however, I have been known to double that when chocolate is in the area! I have not eaten a spoonful of sour cream by itself before, but I have eaten icing like that.
Universityprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2005, 10:43 PM   #17  
Howie6267's Honey

S/C/G: 277 / See ticker / 160

Height: 5'9"

I watch my fat intake, but calories are my main focus. I do watch food labels closely and try to get foods with low saturated fats. I eat regular cheese, just measured portions and I count it all. Some things I prefer low-fat, such as milk. Regular 2% milk tastes like heavy cream to me now!
Gardenwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2005, 07:49 AM   #18  

Quote:
I have eaten icing like that.
Oh yeah, me too, along with hot fudge, peanut butter, and I even ate mayonaise straight out of the jar when I was a kid! Now THAT'S twisted!

Beverly
boiaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2005, 11:32 AM   #19  
Born Loser

S/C/G: 490/See Tracker/245

EWWWW! That just turned my stomach Beverly. Mayonaise straight out of the jar. LOL The sour cream was bad enough. I don't even like milk unless I have food like Italian or peanut butter. I can't stand to just drink a glass by it's self. I love all these things in the right cobo but just not alone.
howie6267 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2005, 11:47 AM   #20  

Nah I can beat that. My little cousin, when she was like 4, used to eat straight butter. When we would go out to eat and they had those little butter pats........she would sneak and just eat those straight. Anybody elses kids do this? Shes like a teenager now and all self conscious about what she eats. Ah. The difference about 10 years can make.
TaraJW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2005, 02:42 PM   #21  
Howie6267's Honey

I like butter creamed with sugar...If you dredged those pats in sugar, I'd be THERE. No, not anymore, I wouldn't.

Hey, I eat peanut butter about every day. I usually have 1/2 a serving on a couple pieces of wheat bread for breakfast -- when I alternate from cereal and fruit for breakfast.
Old 03-13-2005, 03:15 PM   #22  

S/C/G: 240/ticker/120

Height: 5 foot 4

Both my kids were butter eaters. They started out licking it off their toast as toddlers then when they got older they would sneak a stick split it in half and eat it. I thought for awhile I was going crazy because of the missing butter til I found the wrappers in their garbage. Well thankfully they out grew it. My daughter is married and has a 1 month old baby and my son is in High School and they would say it never happen. lol

As for watching fat I do and I believe it is the key to my weight loss. I do try fat free and low fat stuff and have enjoy some and hate others. I think it would be a nice thread for us to pass on what we liked or didn't like about a ff or low fat or we can even go into sugarless , low carb.. the list goes on... products.
Here's some of my hits
2% cheese kraft cheese slices
FF Kraft Pudding
Light Dasiy Sour Cream
Laughing Cow Cheese
94 % FF ActII popcorn (mini bags)
Splenda (my sugar sub)
Brumel and Brown Yogurt Butter. (all flavors)
That's all I can think of right now since my cold meds make me a bit fuzzy.
mezmerize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2005, 03:46 PM   #23  
Born Loser

S/C/G: 490/See Tracker/245

We use Brumel and Brown. I love that in place of butter.
howie6267 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2005, 03:51 PM   #24  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

I thought I'd hate FF cottage cheese, but I really like the Darigold brand.

Some things I like:

Tillamook FF Sour Cream
Sara Lee Delightful Wheat Bread
Laughing Cow Light spreadable cheese
94% FF popcorn
FF milk (any brand is good to me)
Trader Joe's FF pepperjack cheese (melted in omelets only)
FF plain yogurt (Nancy's or Cascade Farms)
SF FF jello pudding (mixed with the above mentioned yogurt)
Splenda
Best Foods Light Mayonnaise (Hellman's in the east, I believe)
Heart Smart FF mayo is okay for some things
Dr. Praeger's veggie burgers (tried Morningstar veggie sausage today--a big yuck!)
ICBINB Light margarine
Newman's Own Balsamic Vinagrette Light salad dressing
Sheila53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2005, 04:38 PM   #25  
Howie6267's Honey

I love Skinny Cow ice cream sandwiches. I don't like most foods with aspartame - yogurts, especially, seem to have a nasty bitter aftertaste. I'd rather have regular low-fat yogurt any day. I worry about the sugar substitutes, especially Nutrasweet and headaches. I adore Ken's Steakhouse fat-free raspberry vinaigrette.
Old 03-14-2005, 08:48 AM   #26  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

I don't count my fat grams, since almost everything I have at home is either low-fat or fat-free. I have started buying things differently simply because they include nutrition information, though. I now use Kraft 2% American cheese slices rather than deli cheese because I was afraid I wasn't accurately accounting for te calories in the unlabeled deli cheese. Same with sandwich meat. I now buy the plastic containers of pre-sliced ham (thinly sliced, only 10 calories per slice, and I am fine with just 2 slices on a sandwich)--I don't remember what brand that is, though.

Splenda makes me very nervous. I don't avoid it all together, but I do watch how much I take in, and I don't use it when I make things from scratch. It has not been on the market long enough, and not enough long-term studies have been done to test the effects of the chemicals. Actually, Splenda is also presently being sued for false advertisement (lawsuit was filed in December by the Sugar Association--they're also being sued by the makers of Equal) for their claims of being made from natural sugar. While Splenda does begin as sucralose, which comes from sucrose, which comes from sugar cane, it is then chemically alterred to remove the calories. Therefore, basically one of the ingredients is sugar, then a bunch of stuff is done to it and added to it to alter its makeup. Saying "Splenda comes from sugar" is like adding a little powdered sugar to crack cocaine and saying "crack comes from sugar, so it must be healthy." Bah, I just don't think chemicals should be the answer to the obesity epidemic. Sorry, I'll get down now

I think the one thing that really turned me off of sugar subsitutes was sugar-free candy. Have you ever had sugar-free Hershey's or Reese's candies? When I tried a low-carb diet, I thought they were a godsend! Then I found myself in the bathroom multiple times and having horrible stomach aches--NEVER again. They come in many forms...lacitol, malitol, sorbitol...these "itol"-ending sweeteners are **** on my digestive system! IT makes sense, though...if it's not natural and has no calories, then your body has no use for it, so what goes in must come out...Just my two cents (or three or four).
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2005, 09:21 AM   #27  
Learning to love ME!

Thanks for your responses! I find it so interesting how people successfully lose weight using different strategies. I guess it shows there is no one "answer" to weight loss. Goddess Jessica, I, too, strive to be a "whole foods" girl, and that's another reason why I don't like to use fatfree stuff. Aren't they full of chemicals? If I'm wrong, please, someone correct me!
Gypsydancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2005, 10:36 AM   #28  

S/C/G: 344/279.1/???

Height: 5'6"

My daughter loves butter. When we have corn on the cob and have a slab of butter sitting out, we have to watch her or she'll reach in with both hands and chow down.
I have heard of some pediatricians actually encouraging parents to put butter on toddler's food just to get in more fat in their diet.
barbygirl43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2005, 12:25 PM   #29  

I watch my fat intake but I'm not religious about it. I too am a bit of a fan of Dr Andrew Weil, and avoid "scary fats" the trans fatty acids, and try to avoid saturated fats as much as I can. I have discovered hemp oil, which is lovely on salads, and you only need a wee little bit to make your salad taste delicious.

One of the things that helped me a lot was Dr Weil saying that we are meant to like fats, that it's natural to love rich, creamy foods, that they are comforting and nourishing. I had such a guilt complex about my love of butter and cream. now I accept that I like them, but they are not good for me, and I feel a lot more "zen" about staying away from them, if that makes sense!!!
kykaree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005, 11:02 PM   #30  
Howie6267's Honey

Jillybean, I just saw an article about the Splenda lawsuits. Pretty scary stuff, I agree. There's a website http://www.truthaboutsplenda.com/ that bears reading. I know, there's an alarmist website about everything, be it natural or chemically-altered man-made stuff...But still, bears reading.