Old 02-07-2005, 02:01 PM   #16  
Jennifer

Count me in as an Old Navy convert, at least until I get to my goal weight. For years, I bought everything at Lane Bryant, but their clothes are ridiculously expensive (especially in New York!) for what you're getting -- it just doesn't make sense for me to spend 40 bucks for a top I will be able to wear for 2 months. Old Navy has been a huge lifesaver for me, and I'm actually out of the plus sizes now (YAYAYAYAYAY!). I thought their plus size jeans were quite a bit more "fashion forward" than Lane Bryant's, too, with lots of low-waisted and boot cut styles. I will wholeheartedly agree that their clothes are not terrific quality, but for trendy stuff to wear for a few months, it's a lifesaver.
teapotdynamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2005, 11:13 PM   #17  

S/C/G: 273/260.1/163

Height: 5'7"

I was in Seattle in the fall and was on the hunt for black dress pants, and since my rise is very very low, I have to buy low rise pants, and they still hit well above my belly button. Anywho, I didn't find anything, except at Old Navy. I literally spent 4 days shopping for pants, it was horrible. Luckily, my work DOES sell low rise dress pants, but it's nice to have something different every once in a while.

-Aimee
SwimGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2005, 11:45 PM   #18  
Live for the Moment!

Ooh - I'm excited! I just found out there's an Old Navy that carries Plus Sizes close to the resort I'm staying in while in Orlando, FL next month. There's lots of fantastic shopping in the area, but my concern is why waste the money right now while I'm losing weight!?!!? Grrr - what a predicament I'm in.. Maybe i'll just buy some stuff a little smaller??! I dunno what to do...
Br00klyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2005, 09:19 AM   #19  
Jennifer

Lately I have definitely tried to err on the side of buying a little smaller than I normally would, especially with tops. I find that after a month or so, that stuff fits perfectly, so it gives you a little longer to wear it before it goes in the giveaway pile!

I also learned my lesson the hard way with one thing. Before Xmas, I fell in love with this pair of Seven jeans at Lane Bryant because they looked really good in the butt area. They were DEFINITELY tighter than I usually wear and cost 2 or 3X what I normally spend. Well, lo and behold, when I put them on now, they look almost baggy in the butt area. It's Old Navy jeans for me until I lose the rest of this weight!!!

p.s. Target also has some really fantastic Mossimo jeans, which are extremely stylish low-rise boot cuts with a belt. Just beware because their sizing is DEFINITELY not as generous as Old Navy's or other stores -- you WILL be buying in at least a size larger than you wear elsewhere!

So fun to talk to other clothes horses .
Old 02-08-2005, 09:29 AM   #20  
Want to see less of me

S/C/G: 260/255/185

I am holding off on buying any pants for now ... I want to wait until i have lost some more weight .. so i can feel better about buying pants .... I'll still buy shirts ... but in moderation
Orangecupcakez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2005, 09:54 AM   #21  
Blue Bunny Butt

S/C/G: 304/304/180

Height: 6'1"

Lucky for me we can wear jeans to work. So I have only had to invest in a few pairs here and there. I actually buy them in a size that I have to air dry them. Once they get baggy, I throw them into the dryer without concern. I can usually get away with wearing tops much longer than bottoms.

I agree with Jennifer, be careful with the Target sizes....they run small. Is it just me, or do you guys think that in general, Target is providing fewer clothes for plus sizes? They are so into maternity clothes, I think they are dropping the ball on a huge (no pun intended) women's market out there.
togger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2005, 11:28 AM   #22  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

What I have looked for in pants I buy now is belt loops. I figure if they get too loose, I can throw a belt on and at least keep them from falling down. I actually have a bad habit now of just pulling my pants down when I take them off, rather than unzipping them and all that. I like wearing more fitting clothes because people really do notice the weight loss but I have basically 2 groups of clothes, 1 group I am swimming in and the other group is right around my size. When the clothes I am swimming in annoy me too much, I throw them into the give away pile.

Shopping sales is always good and Lane Bryant always has stuff on sale. Sadly I have discovered that the average "big girl" is around my size right now so it is hard to find stuff I actually want to wear. I bought a few things from Avenue when I went to California as well because even though their quality isn't the best, at least they have really good sales.

I love clothes, I used to have 3 closets full of them (shopping addict for a long time, it gives me a short term high), but now I barely have 1 closet. My best friend tells me that I'll be naked when I lose weight (ie dress really skimpy), but that isn't what I want, I just want to look classy and sexy.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2005, 11:43 AM   #23  
Jennifer

Nelie, I am just like you now. I DESPISE wearing anything baggy, because it hides the weight loss! I never would have thought I would enjoy wearing fitted clothes, but I really do!!!!

p.s. I think you should be my shoe consultant. I enjoy dressing in fun, stylish ways, but I'm CLUELESS when it comes to shoes. I usually just wear black with everything!
Old 02-08-2005, 12:01 PM   #24  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Jennifer, I meant to say this before but your weight loss in your face is absolutely amazing!

As for shoes, I highly recommend some boots! There are 3 staple colors of shoes that you should have, black, brown and navy. Those will cover most of your outfits. You should also have a pair of fun color shoes (green, red, purple) but I'd go with a reddish/purplish/deep pinkish color because those can go with a lot of things. I actually don't like shoe shopping much in the store because I used to be a size where it was nearly impossible to find my size in the store, so I tend to buy my shoes online or in a store like famous footwear so that I can see what sizes are available.

Recent purchases of mine have been..
http://www.zappos.com/n/p/dp/3496806/c/8473.html
http://www.qvc.com/asp/frameset.asp?...ss=&Submit4=Go

Both in wide as I have wide feet and both are comfortable but cute small heels.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2005, 01:22 PM   #25  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

Talking

I HATE buying shoes because I worked at Payless for about 3 years while I was in college--now I can't stand them! I do like buying clothes, though, and I usually end up getting them at Lane Bryant (on sale and with a coupon!), Fashion Bug (only on clearance since I know they're not the best quality), and WalMart (shirts are often too small but they have some pretty good wannabe jeans). Back when I was about a size 24 shirt, I bought a top at Target that was a 26/28 thinking I'd be safe. It was soooo tight--I have never worn it! I haven't bought clothes at Target since. Maybe I'll go back in a few years when I can fit into regular sizes instead of Plus sizes, since they definitely don't have much selection in plus sizes anyway.

I am trying SO hard to stay away from WalMArt and malls because I am trying NOT to buy clothes. I decided that I will use clothes shopping as my reward every time I reach a little goal (every 15-20 pounds or so). That way, I'll have something new to show off my weight loss (when I actually lose any) and it will keep me motivated to keep losing so I can go shopping again (and maybe buy a smaller size!).
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2005, 01:58 PM   #26  

S/C/G: 344/279.1/???

I know I will be a clothes hound when I can shop for the under size 16 clothes. I live out in the middle of nowhere now and I do not like to shop online for clothes much so I have a very limited and old wardrobe right now. I am slowly adding pieces to it but I plan on getting me an entire new one when I get to goal.

I too love shoes and have widdled my collection down to about 15 pair (from about 40-50). DH hates my shoe collection but that was all I used to be able to really buy (that and purses) back when there weren't many plus size choices.
barbygirl43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2005, 11:28 PM   #27  

S/C/G: 273/260.1/163

Height: 5'7"

I am addicted to shoes and purses, in a bad way. I have like 5 pairs of runners, 3 dress shoes, boots, and sandles.. we are talking like 20-30 pairs.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...87152?v=glance

Those are one of my favorites! And I got this pair of Kenneth Cole ones in Sept, they have a skinny wedge heel and are black with white stitching. I'm also addicted to nice quality shoes, I don't think I could wear Payless shoes anymore. Oh yes, and purses, I've got every colour, every style, and a fun retro Adidas one. I also work in a clothing store where it's easy to get addicted to shopping for clothes, I am currently buying clothes for my mom who is always on the look out for nice stuff. Ahhh shopping. I have 2 huge baskets full of clothes, my closet is full, and I have drawers full as well. I also keep a laundry basket full of clothes that still have their tags on (the velour track suit pants were only 6 bucks!!).

-Aimee
SwimGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2005, 08:38 AM   #28  
Blue Bunny Butt

S/C/G: 304/304/180

Height: 6'1"

I am so addicted to pointy toe heels. They make your leg/foot look so slim. I pair them up with either wide leg trousers or a low rise, boot cut long jean and feel really hip and sexy. I wear an 11, so finding sizes can be an issue. I still look at Payless and also find some real gems at Nordstroms.
togger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2005, 09:07 AM   #29  
Jennifer

Thanks, Nelie, for the shoe advice and the compliment . I like both those pairs, but I LOVE the boots!

I made a deal with myself when I started that when I got to 199, I would get a pair of VERY sexy Fluevogs (I like these and these, but the ones I really love are on the Fluevog site -- but it won't let me link to the pairs!) but I'm not sure now I want to spend the money. I like the fact that the heels are good for walking around, because I do plenty of it in NYC!

Togger, I always admire anybody who can wear those pointy-toe heels! They look good, but man, do they kill my feet. I can't walk in them for anything. I think I must have missed the "walking in heels" class in high school.
Old 02-09-2005, 09:25 AM   #30  
Want to see less of me

S/C/G: 260/255/185

Oh Jennifer I love the first pair! Those are something I would buy!!!! My hubby made me clean out all the shoes i didn't wear ... so now I have very very very few pairs left ..... purses ... well I think I buy a new almost every 2 months .... I get bored easy .. what can i say!!!!

i can't wait to start shopping in the the 16/18 sizes ...... because everything looks much better .. smaller!
Orangecupcakez is offline   Reply With Quote