Wake up and eat up!

• I don't know about the rest of you, but I was never much of a breakfast eater (except after a nice long sleep in on Sundays when fried eggs, bacon, buttered toast and coffee were the rule ). On weekdays I just never had time to eat before rushing out the door to work and food didn't really appeal to me that early (I'd wait until mid-morning and then have a doughnut or something ).

All that changed when I started this weight-loss journey and after more than two years I can't imagine not having a metabolism boosting healthy brekkie when I wake.

Why is breakfast so important to weight-loss? I'll let the experts have their say:

http://healthandfitness.sympatico.ms...etect=&abc=abc

I usually start my mornings with 3/4 cup Kashi Go Lean cereal (talk about a great carbohydrate, protein and fibre mix) with low-fat milk and a banana. On Sundays I still have my egg, but now its scrambled and I skip the bacon, having 1 tbsp. of peanut butter on two slices of Weight Watchers whole wheat bread instead and topping it off with a fat-free, sugar free yogurt (blueberry, mmmmmm). One thing I haven't given up in the mornings is my coffee! I never did put sugar in it, but have now replaced my double cream with milk.

What's your favourite brekkie?
  • Before I started getting up early to exercise in the mornings, I would wait until I had breakfast at work and it was usually 1/2 c. (uncooked) oatmeal sweetened with artificial sweetener.

But now that I've been exercising when I first get up, I'm not as hungry so I've been having a boiled egg and watered down unsweet orange juice (4 oz. juice/4 oz. water).
    Then between 9 and 10 a.m. at work will have a snack of yogurt or something else around 100 calories.
  • Oatmeal seems to do the trick for me. If I am teaching offsite and won't be able to have my oatmeal I have a WW smoothie or a mint zone perfect bar (Mmmmm) on the way to work.
  • I hate eating breakfast and I always have but I do it to get my matobolism moving in the mornings. Usually I have oatmeal and a banana but my FAVORITE is an egg white omelt with all the vegis it can hold and a little feta cheese... Mmmmm.
  • I never used to eat breakfast before either, but now the first thing I think of when I wake up is my Kashi Go Lean Crunch cereal, mmmm YUM! I LOVE this stuff! I also love good old hot oatmeal sweetened with a little Equal and cinnamon. And, like Sandi, I love chocolate mint Zone bars. They are my first choice if I'm on the go and don't have time for a regular meal.

Beverly
  • I've always loved breakfast, and I'm always hungriest in the morning. My favorites are: 2 sunny-side up eggs cooked in a little olive oil with 2 slices of whole grain bread, or 2 slices of whole grain bread topped with almond butter. I've been trying to add a fruit to my breakfast, in which case I eliminate one slice of bread. Usually one day on the weekend I have a "treat" breakfast which is mennaieesh--Lebanese bread topped with thyme, sesame seeds and olive oil, or ground lamb and olive oil. MMMMMmmmm~! And, of course, in all cases, coffee with cream or milk (cream on the weekends, milk during the week).
  • My favorite breakfast is and omlet with ham, low-fat colby-jack cheese, tomatoes & mushrooms
  • My favorite is Bacon and eggs with the eggs fried in the bacon grease and a couple of slices of toast. I do allow this on my plan once in awhile. It's high in fat but it's only 425 calories. So as a treat I do have it. I still stay on plan though.

My normal breakfast is either oatmeal and a banana or Granola with a banana and a half cup of low fat yogurt mixed in.

On weigh in days I will stop and get an egg McMuffin 290 calories and 11 grams of fat. I'm usually pretty hungry when I weigh in because I cut myself off after 8:00 pm the night before. Where normally I would eat something when I get home. Funny the things we do. I don't know why I just don't eat normal but I have it in my mind that I'm going to eat the wrong thing and not have a loss for the week. Just one of those superstitions.
  • I never was a breakfast eater, but since eating right, I've started. I like oatmeal with a teaspoon of peanut butter mixed in and a dash of brown sugar. Since we joined the YMCA, eating breakfast is more important to me because I want that energy to boost me while I work out or swim. Love the Eggs...Just don't eat 'em all that often.
  • What is this "breakfast" you people speak of?

At work I like to make 2 packets of the low sugar or Kashi oatmeal in a coffee cup. Or a granola bar and yogurt or a yogurt drink.

On the weekends at home I like an egg or two & some toast and a green apple, cored & quartered.
  • SAPF, you make me laugh!!!!

Yup, I'm a breakfast convert......didn't use to eat breakfast, couldn't face it......Actually, now I cannot imagine not having breakfast in the morning - at the moment I'm on an oatmeal and banana phase....you know, I really cannot believe I used to get through a morning without breakfast.....maybe because (blush) I used to be full of junk food eaten late at night????????

This is a good question, Jill. Its made me realise that whatever the scales say, one thing I have done is changed my eating habits for good.....that makes me feel great!
  • I love breakfast. Usually it's a bowl of cereal and coffee (gotta have it, with a little whole milk). I'd say sunnyside eggs with melon slices and a piece of low cal wheat bread (buttered) would be one of my favorites, I don't eat it that often anymore. I love oatmeal with fresh strawberries too, but only eat it on Sunday.

Once in a while I make blueberry buttermilk pancakes with strawberries, if I keep them at about 4" diam, and eat 2, then the whole breakfast comes out to about 200 calories (with real maple syrup and 2 pats of butter).