Pain when walking

• I was just curious if anyone else experienced this... I have been doing the WATP tapes just fine with no pain but last night my husband and I decided to go walk around the track at the Highschool for a change of pace and I barely made it 1/2 mile because the front of my left shin felt like it was going to burn right off... and the pain was so bad I almost couldn't walk to the car. I'm concerned about it and wonder if I should go see the doctor or, is this something that will go away if I keep pushing a little more each time? I don't want to NOT be able to walk around outside when it's nice.
  • I never would want to tell anyone to not go to a doctor, as I am not a doctor. That said, I have had that burning pain in the front of my shins from walking. It's a build up of lactic acid in the muscles -- the muscles aren't toned and the oxygen can't get to the muscles as efficiently. I usually rest once I start to feel it, sit down on a bench, and once it goes away I'm good to go. Once I started walking more regularly I didn't experience it anymore.
    Hope that helps.
  • ooooooooooooh SHIN!! I was all confused there thinking about your left chin!!

Love Amanda x
  • Dragonwoman - Thanks! I think I will try to sit down until it goes away and then walk again... a mile is a mile whether I have to sit a little at the beginning or not.

Amanda - That's funny! I didn't even realize I did that! It's fixed now and I checked it twice it now say shin instead of chin
  • I believe they are called shin splints and I used to get the all the time when first starting out exerscising.
    Here is a link I found that describes them.
    http://www.rice.edu/~jenky/sports/shin.html
  • Ouch! Shin splints are very painful! I find that I get them if I start out walking too fast. If I start slowly and speed up gradually, I'm less likely to get them. There are also exercises to strengthen and/or stretch your shin muscles that may help:
    1) sit with your heels on the ground, but toes up in the air. Now put the heel of one foot over the toes of the other. Next try to lift your bottom toes towards you while pushing down onto your toes with your heel. Repeat as many times as you want.
    2) sit in a chair with your feet together. While leaving your heels on the ground and together, lift the rest of your feet off the ground and rotate them out until you're forming a "V" with your feet, then lower the inner edges of your feet to the ground. Hold for a second, then return to start. It's a smooth motion. Repeat as desired.
    3) Stand in front of a wall. Push the ball of your right foot against the wall, while your heel remains on the floor. Lean into the stretch. Repeat on the other side.
    4) Stand on a stair step, and drop one heel off the edge of the step to do a calf stretch. Hold. Now, while maintaining the calf stretch, bend the knee of the leg you're stretching. Hold. Repeat on the other side.

Hope these help!
  • shin splints would feel like a sharp pain and the lactic acid would feel like a burning pain.

shin splints are harder to get and are more serious.

one thing I need to do too, since I have problems with my tendons stiffening up (which can be painful), is to stretch them in the mornings (usually during my shower). I put my hands on the wall, one leg forward with knee bent, the second foot set about 1.5 feet behind and lean forward. Hold that position for about 30 seconds. This stretches the leg muscles in the back (the tendons). Change feet positions and do the other leg.

Ay carumba, all these aches and pains I get! haha.
  • It may be that the uneveness or hardness of the track was a little more than your legs are used to (treadmills are nice and uniform and give a little more). Changing up your pace by walking outside was a great idea! You can see where the treadmill isn't training and besides, connecting with nature (just being outside) nourishes the soul! I got a pair of the walking skis and plan to hike around the local park when it gets to be a little warmer here in St Louis.
  • Thank you everyone for you help with this. I tried to walk again last night and found that if I do stop and start again it's much better. I only had to stop once and just for a little. And yes it's true I can definetly tell were I needed work I do have one question more though... What are walking skis? Are they Cross Country Skis? Just curioius I live in Colorado but we don't get nearly enough snow where I live for that. I sure wish we did becuase Cross Country Skiing is so fun!
  • The walking skis are just the poles (with flat bottoms) -- nothing exciting, sorry ; )! You're supposed to use them the same way as cross-country skiers do, so you get in more upper body motion and a bigger stride. I picked mine up on sale at Target this Christmas.

Thanks,