Change Your Habits Challenge

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • As I was eating popcorn while laying on my bed watching TV, I thought, hhmm, I've developed some really bad eating habits lately! So I thought I'd see if others have some habits they'd like to work on starting January 1. I've heard that it takes 3 weeks to stop a bad habit, or, conversely, start a good habit. I thought we could post the change (or changes) we'd like to make, and then through the month, post how we're doing, maybe on a weekly basis, or even daily if you choose. Anyone care to join me?

I've been falling into the habit of eating at my computer, on the couch, in the car, and on my bed, so I'd like to eat only at the table for one month.
  • This is a good idea Sheila. I would like to join you. If I change some of my bad habits ~ one small change at a time......

I think I will start by changing my habit of eating after I get home from work ~ before going to bed. I do it sometimes, but am not consistent with it. Maybe posting it here will help keep me accountable.
  • This is a good thread idea.Bad habits are inpart why we are what we are. In the past I'd snack while watching soaps or a movie. Butter popcorn,chips,candy,what ever I could find. Now this stuff isn't in the house and I'm trying to find ways to keep my hands busy instead of my mouth.Umm,maybe we need a thread about ways to do this?
  • Count me in. I'll be back when I come up with one or two I'd like to change (there are so many)
  • Although I am going to officially start changing my habits January 1, I unofficially started today. It's interesting how today I decided not to eat something just because I would have had to sit at the table and eat it. Obviously I wasn't that hungry because if I had been hungry, I wouldn't have minded sitting at the table to eat.

Also, twice I took a bite of something while I was putting it on my plate, and realized how much I've been doing that lately (BLTs--bites, licks, tastes), which will stop once I get into the habit of only eating at the table.
  • Count me in. I"m going home on Thursday for 5 weeks, and like you, I eat all over the house. I'm only going to eat at the table for those few weeks; also, I'm only going to eat out of an eating type device (no handfuls!!)

Good idea Sheila. Good luck everyone
  • I know I have BIG BIG plans for after the holidays. I have been very liberal in my eating habits and extremely liberal in my exercising. I know that I should not have the following attitude: "I am not going to worry about it until after the holidays", but, that IS the attitude I have. While I am not gaining extreme amounts of weight, I have noticed a slight change in the way my clothing fits me around the waist. I got out a picture from a few months ago and thought, man, I was really starting to look good and I was only about 10 lbs away from goal. Rather than fighting with the holiday goodies, I have been indulging in them under the total condition that I WILL get back on plan the day after Christmas. I went into a huge plateau and never really came out of it. I think I have tricked my body long enough and losing the remainder of the pounds should be a little smoother this time around. I have noticed that there are habits that I've created over my journey such as no regular soda, only ff cheese and light butter that I WON'T substitute even while eating the wrong things.

So with all that said, My plan is to get back on to the daily exercise program, eating limited calories, no snacking and grabbing the fat right around its neck and getting it gone forever! I am so excited to get back into it. By summer I want to be in the best shape and feel great! I am Definitely IN! Great thread Shelia!
  • well i'm in, i am also going to eat at the table and when i am thirsty and its not diinner time, i am going to have water

tea only with meals ..
  • I'm in. I have been snacking on treats at work. We have been getting tons of food gifts at work, popcorn, candy, macadamia nuts and I keep getting up from my desk to nibble. I am officially done. Only water for me while I am at work!
  • I know we haven't really started yet, but I'm in the getting ready phase. I'm pretty pleased with the fact that, other than BLTs in the kitchen, I haven't eaten anyplace else but my table. Since I routinely ate popcorn on the couch or other places in the house, I'm feeling pretty good about things.

Now I've just got to stop taking bites of the pickles that I cut up for sandwiches, and eating "just a few" green olives while cutting up salad veggies.
  • WTG Sheila. As long as they aren't sweet pickles, I believe that pickles are really low cal.
  • Bringing this back up so that we can start the new year right with healthy habits!
  • This is a really good idea, and I think I'll join in. My goal will be not eat or drink anything (except water), in the kitchen. I'll have a little taste while I'm cooking/preparing, or just snack on things while I'm looking for something to eat (I know I had at least 2 fingerfulls of frozen yogurt, and a drink of juice today)
  • I have fallen into some bad habits too!!
    I will start drinking at least 2 qts of water again...
    Stop eating after 7pm
    start measuring portions again

in other words get back on plan!!
  • Breaking bad habits is something I've been working on. I'm working through a list. "Eat only at the table" isn't one I'd thought of -- but I think I'll add it

Generally, I have to bring more structure to my life. I live alone and work from home, and that's an open invitation to staying up as long as I want, getting up when I want, running late and so grabbing a protein bar instead of eating properly, etc. etc. I've broken down the "bring more structure" into several specific steps (bed at a certain time, get up at a certain time, eat three meals at scheduled times). Add to that, exercise a half-hour a day and drink 3 liters of water a day and that will take me to June, if I'm lucky.