Old 12-09-2004, 01:16 PM   #1  
Long Time Member

Height: 5'6

Default 20 Ways to win at losing weight (#2)

continuing....

2. Don't blame your genes. Yes, everyone is built differently, and some of us gain weight more easily than others. But "to say. 'I can't make any improvement because I have fat genes' is b.s., " says Jillian. "It's not true and it's disempowering. No matter what your genes are, you have the ability to make the right choices about eating and exercise."

My thoughts: I have never been one to blame it on my genes, but I like the thought that I have the ability. It's all up to me. Success or Failure is COMPLETELY up to me.

Your thoughts on "way" #2??
Sandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2004, 01:29 PM   #2  

Like you Sandi, I've never blamed it on my genes because well.. there are no genes to blame it on. *laughs* I actually don't know where I get my height and body shape from, because my parents are both smaller than I am, I'm pretty much my dad's height, and taller than my mom.

What I really like about #2 is that it suggests accountability for our actions and by doing so, it becomes empowering. "I am the one who decides how I live my life, and whatever choices I make will impact my life." Taking responsiblity for something this huge can suck some days because in the end, it's up to you to resist whatever food, and decide to work-out, etc. But in forcing us to take that responsibility, it also determines that this entire "thing" (weight loss goal..? lack of words) is up to us and that, is empowering

Sandi, I read your "Jacob, I promise you.." post, I thought it was beautiful..
dorcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2004, 01:40 PM   #3  

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacobsMommy
2. Don't blame your genes. Yes, everyone is built differently, and some of us gain weight more easily than others. But "to say. 'I can't make any improvement because I have fat genes' is b.s., " says Jillian. "It's not true and it's disempowering. No matter what your genes are, you have the ability to make the right choices about eating and exercise."
I have been guilty of that. It's a given fact- you look at the women on my mom's side of the family- my mom, g-ma, and great g-ma, we all have the same shape and HIPS! my mom lost a ton (from a size 24/26- way smaller than me- I bet size 8 now) a few years back now and she still has the round little hips even though she lost.
I'm not letting it stop me though- after all- I have some my dad's genes in there as well- they're all stick then- no curves. Maybe I can be the one to break the "Obie" curse I know how much happier/ fulfilled/ confident I have felt since starting to lose and that's what keeps me going- but yah, I have the gene thoughts some times.
KandiceS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2004, 01:51 PM   #4  
PamPSM644

Can't blame genes either. I was adopted and though I did hunt and find my birth mother she wasn't that much over weight. I'm dark hair and eyes and she's a natural blond. I can only assume I take after my father because she didn't want to talk to me about him.Infact the only thing we shared was a profile.Unlike the happy ending you see on TV the woman was a couple cans shy of a six pack so we haven't keep in touch.
PamPSM644 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2004, 02:29 PM   #5  

I never blamed genes. The women on my mom's side of the family are all big. Her one sister lost alot of weight though and has kept it off. I think the weight gain for all of us in the family comes from emotions and bad eating habits. I never remember my mother cooking a healthy meal, ever! For that fact I never remember any of her family cooking even remotely healthy. So, for me, I learned at a very young age poor eating habits.

Pam, a little off topic, but I wanted to just say that I am sorry that the meeting with your birth mother was like that. I can't even fathom what that must have felt like. You are a lovely woman and she is really missing out on a great relationship with you.

Last edited by Tammy32; 12-09-2004 at 02:40 PM.
Tammy32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2004, 02:37 PM   #6  
Crazy Canuck

I'm with Kandace on this one. I know I come from a long line of "chubbies" and I believe in the "fat gene". I try not to use it as an excuse, even though I think its rather unfair how some people can pack away food without gaining a ounce and others gain eating grapes. I've seen most of my relatives lose and gain over the years in a constant struggle, so I accept it as my lot in life and carry on doing what I have to do to keep things on an even keel. Yep, nobody said life was fair and there's far worse things you can inherit than the fat gene.
Jillegal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2004, 02:49 PM   #7  

I certainly see your point Jill, my best friend in highschool could eat anything she ever wanted and not gain a pound. I always thought how unfair was that when I could just look at a candybar and gain weight. I believe that there is such a thing as the "fat" gene, and I guess once I think about it a combination of bad eating and being predisposed to gain weight each played an equal role in my gaining weight. We women on my mom's side of the family do have the fat gene, but it was the way we were taught how to eat by the generation before is what really hurt us. So, I believe in the fat gene but don't blame it for my weight gain. I don't use it as an excuse. Sometimes I think it's not fair that I can't just eat and eat and not gain weight but there are instances in life where I have known people who were slim and trim yet did not pay attention to their food and have had strokes and heart attacks without warning. So, there is a lesson to be learned. Even if you could eat all you wanted eventually it would catch up to you anyways.
Tammy32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2004, 04:53 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 344/279.1/???

Height: 5'6"

I went through a phase for I don't know how many years where I blamed my genes, my mom's cooking and the way I was raised (clean your plate starving kids out there, I fixed it you're gonna eat it, etc). Then one day I realized that yes, my genes do play a role in my height, body shape, but I'm fat because I eat too much and don't exercise enough. My environment I would say had more to do with me being obese than my genes. I no longer blame my mom, my genes or anyone else but myself. As I became an adult I was the one making the decisions of what went into my mouth. Sure I learned several bad habits while growing but, but it became my responsibility to develop new ones and I never did until now.
barbygirl43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2004, 10:20 PM   #9  
I climb mountains!

S/C/G: 284/208/145

Is it just me, or is anyone feeling like they want to hug? I'm laughing at myself, here; seriously, I am just so proud to be in this group of fine, amazing, incredibly strong and brave people.

As for the fat gene, I think we can inherit a predisposition to, or manifestation of gaining, but it's the eating that gets us there. When we compare not only the number of obese, but the degree of obesity in our country -- and, to a lesser degree, some others -- in current times and even 50 years ago, the exponential increase in the numbers of obese and morbidly obese speak loudly. We've done this to ourselves. My mother grew to be obese in her late 30's and remained so until she died of breast cancer at 51. She didn't raise me, so I didn't learn my eating habits from her. I grew up eating healthy food in normal portions. It wasn't until I started drinking too heavily that I started to overeat. I drank to try to bury pain, and I suppose I ate for the same reason. I gained in the same places she did, so did I inherit her "gene?" Like I said, I believe I inherited her "way" of gaining, but it sure could have been avoided through more emotionally healthy choices.

I agree that metabolic rates vary wildly among humans....both fat and thin. But I seriously find it hard to believe that an individual grows obese without the presence of some kind of dysfunctional food-related behavior. A little soft, plump, smooshy -- maybe! But obese -- that I have a harder time accepting.
lessofsarahtolove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2004, 11:10 PM   #10  
We're TTC!!

S/C/G: 303/281/Goal#1:271

Height: 5'3"

I wouldnt say I blame it on my genes, but both my parents have weight issues. My mother has never let herself get heavy, but I do think that since my family is shorter, it shows more. I actually have to thank my mother so much for introducing exercise into my life at such an early age (whether I used it or not). My mom grew up with parents that compared her to thin cousins and siblings. They would call her the fat lady in the circus. I am so blessed that she NEVER did that to my brother or I. Instead she told us how beautiful/handsome we were and told us how grateful she was to have us. I think that there must something in genetics with distubution of fat but I wouldnt totally blame it on genes.
rebelridergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2004, 01:20 AM   #11  
missaprylj

I think that there obviously is a "fat gene." It only makes sense... there is a tall gene and a brown hair gene and a blue-eyed gene; so their must be something the predisposes us to weight gain. However, I don't think that there is a "Oh I'm obese and there's nothing I can do about it gene"
Old 12-11-2004, 01:22 PM   #12  
Believe

Height: 5'7"

I do blame family genes in part for my weight issues. But it is just a minor factor in my battle of the pounds. My fat family genes simply mean I have to try a little harder.

Melissa
melsfolly is offline   Reply With Quote