Old 12-03-2004, 06:02 PM   #16  
Want to feel better

S/C/G: S/C/G: 240/205/150

Height: 5' 0"

Way to go Jennifer ~ I am happy for you!
glynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2004, 06:29 PM   #17  
Believe

Height: 5'7"

Congratulations Jennifer!
melsfolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2004, 08:53 PM   #18  
Starting over Spring 2011

Height: 5'10"

Thanks, Jennifer. I'll watch for it. I am doing this using my own ideas, too, but it always helps me to see how someone else succeeded. Congratulations, again!
tkdkathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2004, 09:08 PM   #19  

S/C/G: 247/177.5/130

Height: 5'3"

Congratulations.. That is an excellent accomplishment.. You should be very proud!! I am certainly proud of you! Keep up the good work!!
tolose85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2004, 03:05 AM   #20  
Getting back on track!

Thaty is excellent - well done!!!!!!!
Annie-Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2004, 10:43 AM   #21  
Jennifer

In case anyone is interested, I've posted before/during pics on the Progress Pics thread.
teapotdynamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2004, 11:17 AM   #22  
Want to feel better

S/C/G: S/C/G: 240/205/150

Height: 5' 0"

Saw your pictures Jennifer ~ super job ~ you're looking great. I'm glad for you. I hope to be where you are someday.
glynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2004, 02:00 PM   #23  
Serious Ju Ju!

S/C/G: 260/see ticker /175

Height: 5 10 ( I hate being taller than all the cute guys!!!)

You go girlfirend! 50 pounds is fantastic! You should be so proud of yourself. Here's to the next 50!
seashell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2004, 06:05 PM   #24  
No description available.

Congratulations! Your pictures are amazing! Way to go!!!
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2004, 09:16 PM   #25  

Jennifer you can see a big difference in your before and after pics and not just in your face. 50 pounds lost is very big milestone!! Your motivation is excellent and I have no doubts that you will have no problems with your continuing weight loss.
Tammy32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2004, 10:50 AM   #26  
Jennifer

Thanks again, everybody! You guys are the best!

Kathy, I'm finally getting around to explaining my plan. The short version is that I've come to understand the wisdom of "Calories in, calories out." For years I dismissed the idea that dieting is really as simple as expending more than you take in, but that's mainly because I didn't know what I was taking in or expending. I'm a big believer in logging my food now, and I use a program called Diet Power to track calories as well as the macronutrients -- fat, protein, and carbohydrates, which I try to keep balanced in a ratio of 30-30-30 (I know other people have had success keeping the fat % lower, but I struggle to keep it that low!). I don't have a reduced carbs plan per se, but I have replaced "white" carbs with thier higher-fiber, whole grain "brown" equivalents. I also try to space out my 1300-1800 daily calories so I can eat small meals or snacks (fruit, yogurt, chicken breast, tuna) all day long and don't get hungry. One final thing I do that I know isn't optimal is to save more calories for dinner than for the rest of the day (i.e., not save only a third of my calories for dinner). I have learned that dinnertime is when I tend to overeat (partially because my husband isn't dieting and partially because we live in the city and tend to get takeout more than we should), and if I don't save enough calories, I'm over for the day. It's an adjustment that isn't ideal, but it works for me.

The other side of the equation is exercise, and I do it at the gym 6 times a week. I do at least 30 minutes of cardio, but I've worked up to 45 or 60 for most days. I have also added lots of strength training to my routine, lifting heavy weights several times a week (I'm convinced this has been a KEY to my weight loss because I believe it has boosted my metabolism -- and it's fun to feel my new muscles emerging as the fat comes off around them !)

Although I love exercise and know the gains to my health have been stunning (my resting heart rate is like that of a runner's now, and that's while I'm still technically obese!), I also have learned the limitations of exercise for weight loss; while exercise is very helpful to complement a sensible reduced-calorie eating plan, it won't replace it. When I first started, I didn't make any changes to my diet but exercised and found that while I lost a little weight, I lost it *very* slowly. As soon as I put the pieces together, I was surprised how much more quickly the pounds came off.

Anyway, I don't mean to sound pat when I say that weight loss is simple. While I believe the actual formula is simple, my brain is the big variable. Even though I know what works, sometimes convincing myself to DO those things is the hard part, like when I just don't feel like getting up in the morning to shuffle off to the gym all bleary-eyed or I don't feel like eating a tuna whole-wheat wrap instead of pizza. I've learned that the head part is the hard part, and it probably always will be, even when I'm trying to maintain.

Hope this has been helpful. If you have any specific questions, please feel free to ask me!
teapotdynamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2004, 09:19 PM   #27  
if only she'd lose weight

S/C/G: 360/see ticker/180

Height: 5'7

Late to the party, but I still wanted to say you look amazing & you go girl!!!
SuchAPrettyFace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004, 11:53 AM   #28  
Starting over Spring 2011

Height: 5'10"

Thank you so much for taking time to let me know how you did it . I had the WORST day ever yesterday---I am about to post about it, but your message to me about how you did it was a real encouragement. Like maybe I won't give up . I am finding that exercise alone is not enough, also. I think it has allowed me to stop gaining and to lose a tiny bit. But I need to keep working on changing my eating habits, too. I hope you are feeling better, and thank you again for helping me to keep the faith.
tkdkathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2004, 12:43 AM   #29  
Live for the Moment!

Jennifer! Thats fantistic! GOOD FOR YOU! What a wonderful xmas gift to yourself!
Br00klyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2004, 07:50 PM   #30  

I am soooooo proud of you Jennifer. What an accomplishment. That's fifty pounds gone *bye bye* due to your persistence and committment. Hope you went out and got some new clothes for your new bod!
dharmaspell is offline   Reply With Quote