Old 12-02-2004, 01:00 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 344/279.1/???

Height: 5'6"

Thumbs up Strong Women Stay Slim Book

I started reading this book a couple of days ago and I am loving it. Strong Woman Stay Slim
It's basis is you need to work on building more muscle (not bulk up) to rev up your metabolism. It's "diet" is based on the food pyramid and works on portion sizes not servings and you don't have to count calories even though it offers 3 different plans for 1200, 1600, and 2000 calorie diets. I'm still in the middle of reading it but I couldn't help but get the word out on such a good find.
I've been reading and looking on the internet to find something that I can do longterm and this really looks like something I can do.

As I started reading it, something hit me. Sarah and I started this journey about the same time with about the same amount to lose. I've lost 30-35 pounds and she's lost over 75 pounds. I know our body compositions, etc. have a lot to do with it and the fact that she is way more motivated than I am. She was also willing, at the time to give up more foods than I wanted to (I am making a more conscience effort to eat healthier not just less). But anyway I digress. I think what has made the biggest difference in our two paths is this: she added strength training early on and I didn't. Although I now can say I do at least 30 mins. of aerobic exercise 3-4x a week, I haven't really made an effort to build my muscles back up. That also explains that although I have dropped these pounds, my BF% still is at around 49%.
And further, that would explain why in the past efforts, I dropped those 30 pounds in like 3 months because I only had about 35-40% body fat. Two kids later and my body packed on the fat and lost the mucsle.

If I'm totally rambling just ignore me.
barbygirl43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 01:47 PM   #2  

That is a FABulous book, and one I frequently recommend.
funniegrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 10:29 PM   #3  
Exercise Vidiot

That book sounds great Dawnyal. I am going to pick it up for myself. My motivation has really faded lately and I need something to get me going again. Thanks for the recommendation!
Fitbabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2004, 11:04 AM   #4  
We're TTC!!

S/C/G: 303/281/Goal#1:271

Height: 5'3"

Dawnyal, that sounds like an excellent book. Thank you for telling us! I may have to see if the bookstore carries it!
rebelridergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2004, 01:26 PM   #5  
Long Time Member

Height: 5'6

I think I have that book at home. Maybe it's time I pulled it out again. I love to lift, but these days I seem more into my cardio. My trainer is going to set up a new program for me next Saturday, so maybe that will get me excited again!!
Sandi is offline   Reply With Quote