3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   100 lb. Club (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/100-lb-club-55/)
-   -   Watp? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/100-lb-club/48824-watp.html)

vivian10 11-03-2004 12:47 PM

Watp?

What the heck is this?? :?:

Jillegal 11-03-2004 12:59 PM

No idea...."What A Terrible Plan" ?? :p

howie6267 11-03-2004 01:12 PM

Most that use it I believe are talking about Walk Away the Pounds DVD.

heather_dw 11-03-2004 01:13 PM

WATP is Walk Away The Pounds, with Leslie Sansone. its a great program that alot of us here use, myself included

Jazzmine 11-03-2004 02:09 PM

I use it too!! I love WATP!! :)

lessofsarahtolove 11-03-2004 03:51 PM

WATP rocks. Love me some 3-mile and 4-mile action! Oh yeah, and the ramp too!! Woo hoo!!

vivian10 11-03-2004 04:41 PM

So it's a video you walk to??

barbygirl43 11-03-2004 04:53 PM

Yes it is. It uses 4 basic steps and you walk to music from 1-4 miles. I have to admit that I was a huge skeptic of this program, even with everyone talking about it and loving the workout. I just couldn't see walking to a tape/dvd when I could walk outside. Well when I could no longer find the time to fit in my outside walking, I checked a couple of them out from the library.
I so wish I would've gotten these sooner. I love them. 1 mile=15 mins., 2=30, 3=45, adn 4=60. That way, if I have 15 or 30 mins. or so "lying around" I can just pop in one of these tapes and get in a workout.

I would encourage you to try one out today. :)

lessofsarahtolove 11-03-2004 05:47 PM

I completely agree with Dawnyal -- and I was skeptical too, thinking, "Um, I need to watch a video to WALK?? How lame is that??" But seriously, Vivian, they're a MUCH better workout than simply walking in place. You really do get your heart rate up, and you DO firm up -- the workouts incorporate hand weights (the kit comes with 1-lb balls, but I use a pair of 6 lb. Ironhands and LOVE them) and some moves and combinations that work more than just the quads and calves. My balance, core strength, flexibility, cardiovascular fitness, and muscular strength (and firmness) have markedly increased since using these workouts. I do HIIT (high intensity interval training) biking and (not nearly enough) weight training in addition to these workouts, and I swear these have had such an impact on my fitness. Her moves have you work the glutes, hams, quads, shoulders, tris, bis, forearms, back, calves, and core. And you can manage your time also, so it's convenient -- don't have time to do the full 3 miles but like that workout better than the mile workout? No problem, it tells you when you've completed a mile and then you just do a cooldown and stretch on your own, and bing bang boom, you're done. I LOVE it! These workouts have been so great for me, I've just ordered a step bench and a step DVD so I can mix it up further while still enjoying the convenience of in-home workouts.

Good stuff. Seriously. I avoided these for so long, and now I kick myself.

vivian10 11-03-2004 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbygirl43
1 mile=15 mins., 2=30, 3=45, adn 4=60. That way, if I have 15 or 30 mins. or so "lying around" I can just pop in one of these tapes and get in a workout.

I would encourage you to try one out today. :)

Thanks for the additional info.

Hmmm, I am skeptical at the pace when looking at workouts on a treadmill. A 15 min mile would be 4 mph (check out them math skills ;) ) on the TM...and that is a pretty brisk pace considering it is a few steps from a jog for most people.

funniegrrl 11-04-2004 12:57 PM

vivian if you think the pace for you is too brisk, no problem ... just walk slower. The beauty of these programs is that they are VERY adaptable to your fitness level. She constantly shows modifications to help make it easier if the standard moves are too much for you at that point. As long as you keep moving, you're doing fine. In time, you'll be able to do more and more and grow with the tape. Also, I don't think you'd find the pace EXACTLY comparable to 4mph on the treadmill, I never felt "pushed" to keep up on the 1M tape, even though I started using it at well over 300 pounds. I just didn't do the arm movements, etc. at first until my strength & stamina built up.

heather_dw 11-04-2004 01:33 PM

When I started doing the WATP workout, I could only do 5 or 6 minutes of the workout. Now I can do the whole 1 mile, which is 22 mins if you included the cool down and stretch! I still do not not do some of the arm movements towards the end of the workout and I really wish I would have gotten those weighted balls they always talk about but even if you dont, it is a still a great workout. I have hard leg muscles for the first time in years and I know it is because of the watp workouts. They are very convenient and if you get sick of listening to her talk, you can mute the sound and play your own music after you learn the order of the steps etc (whch are pretty easy). i got a dvd that has the one mile and the 2 mile on it. I think I paid under 20 for it (with the ship) at amazon. Your local library may have some of the dvds though too(mine doesnt, it is a really small town) and I have seen them on ebay also:-)

vivian10 11-04-2004 01:38 PM

I have no problems with the 4.0 pace on a treadmill....but I was just suggesting that is a brisk pace for a lot people so I am skeptical that these videos keep everyone moving at that 4mph pace for 1-4 miles. I haven't tried them, but I am assuming that it is sorta like the calorie expenditures on machines in the gym...misleading at best for overweight individuals.

Sorry...the exercise physiologist side of me is just trying to understand the concept and validity of the distance claimed.

funniegrrl 11-04-2004 02:05 PM

Yes, if you want to be technical, I'm sure it's an approximation. That doesn't detract from the quality and usefulness of the workout. Again, it's hard to evaluate it when you haven't seen it.