3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   100 lb. Club (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/100-lb-club-55/)
-   -   I'm Getting Pepper Spray! (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/100-lb-club/48759-im-getting-pepper-spray.html)

PamPSM644 11-02-2004 11:08 AM

I'm Getting Pepper Spray!

After being liberated by my new leg braces and for the first time in more then 15 yrs am able to walk around my block,I'm not going to let anything ruin it for my little dog and me.I'm having a big problem with lose dogs,Large lose dogs.Bon Bon and I were half around the block when a huge dog bolted out of a yard across the street from us in attack mode. I snatched up my baby and yelled for the owners to get their dog. When they came out I asked them nicely to please keep him confined so we could have our walks peacefully. I really did ask nicely even though I felt like anything but. They gave me a dirty look and took the dog in.When I got back home and told my son what happoned he said he'd get me some mace or pepper spray to carry from now on. It was terrifing but I refuse to let inconsiderate people ruin my therapy and fun. :nono:

pyxie 11-02-2004 01:58 PM

Hiya -

There is a separate type of spray for dogs than there is for people. Mace and pepper spray are more for people, I'm not sure how effective it is for dogs. You might check with the post office and see what they use for dogs on their walking routes.

Years ago I read about making a light ammonia solution and using a regular plant spray bottle that you could carry in a pocket.

I'm not sure if a google search would turn up some ideas too.

Good luck - the people are worse to deal with than the dogs I believe. Folks around here walk their dogs off leash and let them do their dirty business in our yard and the other neighbors ... it's aggravating.

djs06 11-02-2004 04:13 PM

That's unbelivably rude! I'm really sorry to hear that. If I had a big scary dog who go out, I'd be really apologetic. Unreal.

Sandi 11-02-2004 04:26 PM

That's a shame. Big dogs can be soooo scary. I think the "doggie" pepper spray is a great idea.

jiffypop 11-02-2004 04:29 PM

i have a big dog and i walk her on a leash. and yet i spotted a german shepherd - and i LOVE german shephers - running around his yard. off leash. no owner,. and believe me, i understand that there are many dogs who are trained to stay in their yards. BUT since we were walking along the sidewalk connected to the dog's yard, we crossed the street. i was in NO MOOD to control two 90-pound dogs, one of whom was off leash with no visible owner.

get some spray... plan your route. plan your timing... but don't stop walking!!!!!

Sheila53 11-02-2004 05:14 PM

That's too bad. Doggie pepper spray is a good idea, or diluted lemon juice. I wouldn't do ammonia because it could damage the dog's eyes.

I have an online friend whose neighbor turns his dog loose to do his business elsewhere. My friend has taken to scooping it up and throwing it on the guy's driveway or elsewhere in his yard. She said that the guy has stepped in it several times now, and so have his guests. Still hasn't learned his lesson yet, however, but it's a lot of fun for her to hear him yelling nasty words after he's stepped in a mess.